Philip K Dick discussion

what's goin' on? > king of the elves - animated movie

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hertzan (new)

Hertzan Chimera (HertzanChimera) | 225 comments I'd never heard of the King of the Elves short story, but Disney/Pixar have, and I sorta don't really know what to make of it. Confused, of Oxford, April 2008.

Philip K. Dick’s short story “King of the Elves” to become major animated feature from Walt Disney Animation Studios

Philip K. Dick's daughters Isa Hackett and Laura Leslie are serving as consultants through Electric Shepherd Productions on this exciting new Digital 3D project.

KING OF THE ELVES (Domestic Release Date: Christmas 2012, Disney Digital 3-D(TM))
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Directors: Aaron Blaise, Robert Walker
Producer: Chuck Williams
Legendary storyteller Phillip K. Dick's short story (his only experiment in the fantasy genre) becomes the basis for this fantastic and imaginative tale about an average man living in the Mississippi Delta, whose reluctant actions to help a desperate band of elves leads them to name him their new king. Joining the innocent and endangered elves as they attempt to escape from an evil and menacing troll, their unlikely new leader finds himself caught on a journey filled with unimaginable dangers and a chance to bring real meaning back to his own life.

Erm...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I recognize the title, but it's probably been 15 years since I worked my way through the collected stories ... so the story itself doesn't rign a bell. It's an early work, no?

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For Weird. It's supposedly in the first volume of the collected stories, so it's probably been 10 years or so since I read it. Will have to check it out when I get home tonight.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason A lot of Dick's work is fantasy, especially his earlier stuff. From that very same collection, The Little Movement and Brown Oxford were if I can recall both fantasy. In fact he even refers to several of his stories explicitly as fantasy in some of the things he's said.

message 5: by Byron 'Giggsy' (new)

Byron  'Giggsy' Paul (giggsy) | 110 comments Mod
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039315

This was shelved, and then revived again. This says we can expect it out Holiday 2013, which probably means Holiday 2014.

unread topics | mark unread