Writing Passionates discussion

How do you write?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
How do you write? Do you write very to the point with a lot of action, or do you take your sweet time about telling a story, but make it interesting with a lot of detail? Or do you do something else entirely?

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
it depends on the story. but i think that i personally try to balance many qualities in my stories. i try to make my stories exciting, but i also try to put in a little drama here and there, and develop the characters well. i think i should work more on the character development, though, because i think i tend to want to get straight to the action. bad habit. haha. a lot of the time i write the exciting parts first and then i go back and add some more character development, just to make sure i get it in there. but the action is also driven by the characters... hmm... maybe i don't know how to answer this question after all. lol.

message 3: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (last edited Apr 16, 2008 05:51PM) (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
I agree with Brigid. It depends on the story. For example, with Stairway to the Stars, it's more of a action, suspense kind of story, but Tulip's Cozy Tea is more of a descriptive story. I try to put in aspects of both in all my stories, like Brigid said. I also work a lot with character development.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) One of the things I did that was kinda bad was, if it was a series, to skip from book to book. It doesn't really work. But I still think it's good to think of the outcome in your head before writing it so you know where it's going.
But now, because of my Writing Journal, I'm getting chances to write the really exciting parts (be it adventurous, sad or happy) in there.

message 5: by Josh (new)

Josh | 83 comments I try to equalize everything, although i probably don't do so well. I try to have good description and character development while keeping the action moving at a satisfying pace. when i write, my greatest fear is that my story will be jumpy and move to fast to feel real, but on the other hand i don't want to drag everything out so much that it is too much trouble to read.

message 6: by Brigid ✩ (new)

right. you have to sort of balance the exciting parts and the calm parts in the story. Stories that have too much action and no character development are too unrealistic, and stories with too much description are just plain boring. There has to be some action, but also some description to make the story realistic and appealing.

message 7: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I think that I am mostly descriptive about the action, so there is both at once!

message 8: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Hmmm...I don't really know. I just write what is clear in my head at the moment, so it changes every time I write.

message 9: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yeah, kenzie, u r right. it also depends on my mood i guess. like if i'm really tired or angry or in a bad mood my writing sucks. but when i feel confident and happy then my writing is better.

message 10: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Usually, when it's a calm scene, I use a lot of description, but when the scene is action-packed or adventurous, it's not as descriptive, more suspenseful and short.

message 11: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yeah, i usually only write poetry when i feel depressed, so a lot of my poetry is really depressing.

message 12: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I write a poem when it randomly comes to me, which goes in waves. For a while I write a bunch of poems, and then I don't write any.

I have also discovered that I have a difficult time writing scenes that are unpleasant, as far as how much description to use. I want to use a lot, to get people to understand what is going on, but I kind of want to spare them the details. Its odd.

message 13: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

You mean gory scenes? I don't really like writing those, either. I try to leave most of the gore out.

message 14: by Veronica, What the neck!? (last edited May 14, 2008 05:10PM) (new)

Kind of, but I wouldn't describe them as gory exactly. For instance, chapter 2 of my story:

“June! Who was that?” her mother screeched as she descended the stairs towards June.

“It was a man. He was delivering a flower.”

“Well hand it over. Let me see which of my exes is trying to win me back this time,” Her mother said sourly.

June slipped the card in her back pocket. “The man said it was for me.”

“LIAR!” her mother toweringly stood over her. June started to edge away. Her mother had that angry, terrifying look in her eyes. “Show me that card!”

Timidly, June handed over the card that had come with the rose and continued to back away. She had almost reached the living room when her mother bellowed, “WAIT RIGHT THERE YOUNG LADY!” June stopped in her tracks. It was coming, again. Her mother stormed over to her. “HAVE YOU BEEN SEEING A BOY BEHIND MY BACK?” June cowered in fear. “HAVE YOU?”

“N-n-n-n-n-n-no,” she stammered out. “Of c-course n-not. I would n-n-never d-do that.” June could feel it coming now. She would have bruises for weeks.

“TELL THE TRUTH!”

“I am!”

“NO YOU’RE NOT!” Her mother brought her hand up and slapped her across the face with the force of a tsunami.

“I don’t lie.” As soon as she had said it, she realized it was a big mistake. Her mom started hitting her everywhere, cussing until she was blue in the face. June just took it, her eyes watering but never spilling a drop. It felt like it would never end.

Suddenly there was a sickening crack. It came from her arm. But her mother still didn’t stop hitting her.

After an eternity, the blows slowed and stopped. Her mother had passed out from the exhaustion beating her daughter.

June got up and took the flower and the card to her room. She still didn’t let the tears come. She knew her arm had been broken and she needed to get to the hospital, and soon. June carefully climbed out her window, afraid to use the front door and wake her mother.

Once she reached the ground, she started running towards her father’s house in the next neighborhood.

Only then did she let the tears splash to the ground.

Do you see what I mean? It's not exactly gory, but it is unpleasant.

message 15: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Oh, okay. I see what you mean. Yeah, I don't like writing those unpleasant ones either.

message 16: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I tend to stay away from them. -thinks- I think the worst ones I write is usually when two characters have a big fight. Those are usually fun to right, though...:)

message 17: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I've written death scenes before, but for some reason, I seem to enjoy them. At least, I enjoy the ones that I know they aren't truly dead, but are just written to give the reader a big shock.

message 18: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I love scenes that leave the reader hanging. I don't like reading them (personally) but I do like writing them.

message 19: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I agree! It's so fun writing them, especially teasing the readers part, but I don't like reading them! Just like death scenes...hate reading them (*sniff*) but love writing them.

message 20: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

ME TOO!!!!! I love doing that. It is always how I end the chapter. Its one of those things in books(when I'm reading, not writing) that makes me stay up until midnight(or 1 or 1:30 or even 2) reading instead of going to bed. Or that keeps me from doing my homework...

message 21: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Isn't that weird. I find that the stuff that I love to read the most are the things that I don't like to write, and vice versa.

message 22: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments We just posted at the same exact time!!!

message 23: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Really? It's true for I like writing the things that I don't like to read, but I also like writing what I like to read best- action scenes!! I hate cliffhangers at the end of books when the next one hasn't come out yet. GRRR!!! Like Percy Jackson #4!!

message 24: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

You and me and sella? I know Sella and I posted at the same time, and I was just posting again to clarify that I meant I love writing scences that leave teh reader hanging, not death scenes.

message 25: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

This is getting bizarre. Sella, you and I posted at the same times twice in five minutes. the comment about suspense and then again just now.

message 26: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments No, Veronica. You and me. I posted my comment, it did the 'saving your comment thing' when it finished you had a new comment right above the one I wrote.

message 27: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I know. It did the same thing with me, and Sella's was above mine. And mine was above yours. We were all posting at the same time, but just hit the save button at different times.

message 28: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Ohhhhhh....So it was three.

message 29: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Wow. Weird!!

message 30: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

yes! it's more telepathy, telling us to post at the same time!

message 31: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Me: Stupid telepathy. -smacks telepathy in the butt-
Telepathy: Ouch! That hurt! Pick on someone your own size!

message 32: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Now I'm the one Rolling on the floor laughing! (well not really, but I think you get the picture)

message 33: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I get the ghist. Oh, I read the beginning of your new chapter, your story is going so well!

message 34: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Thanks! :) But the fourth chapter kinda sucked. Ahhhh! I have to leave before more telepathy sets in! And I have to do my homework still! :0

message 35: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

No, I liked the fourth one!!

message 36: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I did too! Harold finally showed up. I bet he was happy.

message 37: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Well, I didn't think it was as good as the others. It could have been a lot better. Hey, maybe there is a connection to writing better on my laptop than on paper! (my original copy of the 4th chapter was on paper because a computer wasn't available)

message 38: by Veronica, What the neck!? (last edited May 14, 2008 05:49PM) (new)

Ahhhhh! That's three times, just in this discussion! Oh, and harold actually wasn't really that happy, because he wan'ts tohelp june but he can't.

message 39: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Maybe...*shrug*

message 40: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

ARGH!! WE DID IT AGAIN, JUST AS YOU SAID THAT!!

message 41: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Sheesh! I'm going to have to leave soon as well. Shower, teeth, bed... -groans- school tomorrow.

message 42: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I have to leave to finish HW soon, too...

message 43: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Can you believe that in an hour(maybe less), just the three of us have brought this discussion from about 17 posts to 45 posts?

message 44: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments If only, if only it were summer!

We're off topic again.

message 45: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Curse you telepathy!

Wow, was it really that much? I feel bad for all those people who have to read them all to understand what the heck is going on.

message 46: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Wow, you're right Veronica. We always go off topic!!

message 47: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

GRRRR!! AGAIN!!! TELEPATHY GET YOUR BUTT OUTTA HERE!!

message 48: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Telepathy I curse thee! Go away!

message 49: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 2205 comments Mod
I try to do actoin but its not as good as I would liike it to be

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

How do I write?
Like I'm actually in the story. I may be someone in the background, but I need to feel like i'm part of the story, and telling others of a certain person and what they may be doing, what they're going through, etc.