What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > YA Sci Fi book

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatesha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Tatesha | 1 comments I believe this book came out in the 80's, I remember reading it as a YA myself. I cannot remember the title of the book or the character's name, but the vague details I do remember are:
A boy who lives with his family in some sort of utopian, futuristic society begins to disobey the rules. I vaguely remember something about him having to check in with a computer daily, and he stops doing it, and lies to his parents about it. If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would love to hear any or all suggestions, I am desperately trying to find this book!

message 2: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Diane | 12 comments Sounds vaguely like The Giver by Lois Lowry - does that help?

message 3: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

rivka | 298 comments Except there's no daily computer check-in in The Giver. Just a daily pill that he stops taking.

message 4: by CLM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

CLM | 294 comments The White Mountains by John Christopher?

message 5: by Jocelyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Jocelyn (Credo) | 2 comments Perhaps 'A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair' by Nicholas Fisk. It is a long time since I read it - more than 20 years, so I am probably wrong ^_^

Found another one... Ann Schlee's The Vandal

message 6: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (JanelleB) | 126 comments This book is definitely The Vandal. I've been trying to remember the name of it for years. With the extra info here from the OP, and a reading of the synopsis on the internet, I'm 99% sure this is it. Now I've just got to track down a copy so I can read it again.Fortunately its back in print!

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Just in case Tatesha says it's not The Vandal, let me say it might be This Perfect Day.

message 8: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (JanelleB) | 126 comments I don't know what the OP will think, but that doesn't sound much like the book I read at all.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21766 comments Mod
Tatesha, was "The Vandal" your book?