Axis Mundi X discussion

myths...

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by نياز (new)

نياز ssssssssscdfa

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Apr 16, 2008 01:50PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Not like the "Richard Gere had a gerbil us his ass" kind, but I guess those are worthwhile too. Comment away. Urban myths are always interesting.

My oldest son (he's nine) has been reading a lot of myths lately...esp. Greek and Norse...and I was thinking about how much myths have meant to me over the years. When I was about my son's age I read books on myths over and over again. I still do. Some of the native-american myths and stories have caught my attention in particular the last few years.

When I grew older I discovered Jung and Joseph Campbell's material and loved it big time. The place where myth and religion and meaning cross over is fascinating and I love returning to that windy, elemental location whenever I get the chance. I mean no disrespect to any religion, by the way, and in no way intend to discredit them by connecting their stories with the word "myth". Stories that guide people to finding their own meaning are sacred.

I'm rambling a bit...middle of the night. Anyway, did anyone else grow up loving myths? Which myths are your favorite? Other comments?

message 3: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments Myths and folklore have always been something I enjoy reading about, I find its a good way to get away from reality every now and then. For me its more a folklore than anythign esle and its that of the Vampire - there are so many fictional accounts of what a vampire is and does, that reading material that is fictional is great.
Also, Greek mythology was always an interesting topic - while in college I had a chance to study 'Classics' which looks back at myths and where they come from.

RA - its the middle of the morning here in Britian, can't believe ur still up and I've been at work since 8.30am.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Hayley, I slept for a while but woke up insanely early. I've noticed that a lot of us on goodreads keep very weird hours.:)

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments RA - thats very true - though if I don't get 8hrs sleep a night then I'm no good to anyone.

message 6: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 136 comments I've always been fascinated by Greek mythology. There was a time when Edith Hamilton's book was hardly ever out of my reach. I went through a Joseph Campbell phase, too, RA.

Fave urban myth: the old Pop Rocks and Coke.

message 7: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) I love all things paranormal, as well as the given Greek/Roman/Norse mythology too. Also, the Loch Ness Monster and Sasquatch are interesting, since I've heard about them all my life, but don't really know where the stories originated. Same with the Yeti, though don't hear about him as much.

In my hometown (Sautee-Nacoochee) there's an Indian mound (actually, there are a lot, but one has been memorialized) in which locals like to say that 2 "star-crossed lovers" from rival tribes wanted to be together, but when the father of the girl found out, he and some men took the boy to the top of Mt. Yonah and thew him off. The girl was so distraught that she jumped after him. They crawled together at the foot of the mountain and died in each other's arms.
Nice story, but just some yokel's take on R&J, obviously.

message 8: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Ooh, I forgot to mention a big one! My mom has always been a huge fan of ancient Egypt and raised me in the same vein. To me there is nothing wilder and more mysterious than Egyptian mythology...

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments Ancient Egypt is definitley a interesting mythology. I love the fact they have some many different Gods.

Folklore fastinates me - especially European folklore - we really are a supersistious lot. If I can find information on the subject then I will read it but the one thing about European Folklore is that is stems back to acnicent Chinese folklore and so on and has been adapted a long the way.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
RA: I raided your book shelves a couple of weeks ago. :( Have not had a chance to read any of them yet, But looking forward to it. The only myth/poem/folklore I have read to date was Beowulf. Which I loved. All the modern adaptations kinda irk me because it was great the way it was, and they just dumbed it down... I am open for suggestions on books anyone has one that is a must read. I would really like to read up on Rome and Greek mythology.

message 11: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) http://www.snopes.com/

Check out those stories you've heard, been emailed or read about...see if they're true, or just an urban legend!

message 12: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Apr 16, 2008 09:40AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
I discovered Professor Jan Harold Brunvand's books on urban legends as a teenager, and was fascinated by them.
His first book is called The Vanishing Hitchhiker: American Urban Legends and Their Meanings, and I had read that very story about the hitchhiker in, of all places, a Nancy Drew book (The Secret of Mirror Bay if you're curious).

Amy, I love the Snopes website. Here's one of my favorites:
A woman visits the restroom just before her appointment with a gynecologist. Finding the toilet paper dispenser empty, she uses some Kleenex she happens to have in her purse. Unbeknownst to her, there are some trading stamps wadded up in the tissue and they become stuck to her body. Later, during the exam, the doctor finds them and remarks: "Gosh, I didn't know they still gave out Green Stamps these days!"

message 13: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Hi everyone, new here,

I love this thread b/c I am taking a class this semester on Ezra Pound's cantos, and there are SO MANY myths referenced in the Cantos that derive from Greek, French, Scottish, Egyptian, and Chinese folklore.

Ive been reading and loving the Golden Bough recently - it is full of the interconnectedness of mythology across the ages.

message 14: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Last one that I forgot (probably not):

King Arthur!

Right now I'm totally biased, because I'm writing my last collegiate paper ever (I wish--hello grad school!) on the difference in truth and legend in Wace's Roman de Brut. Interesting stuff, especially considering what a huge political impact Arthurian legend had on the Norman empire.

message 15: by Sally (last edited Apr 16, 2008 11:02AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) The Scottish myths are much more inconsistent and scarce, probably because of the destruction of much of their history by the Roman/Christian conquests but the traces that I have found and am researching are pretty cool.
Por ejemplo:

In Canto two "Seal sports in the spray-whited circles of cliff-wash, sleek-head, daughter of Lir,
eyes of Picasso" is a reference to an Old Celtic sea-god. (I relate Lir to Proteus, but IMO much of the Cantos begs for you to think Lir when you read Proteus and vice versa) "Branwen the Daughter of Llyr" is a pretty fascinating story when observing the connections between Celtic/Welsh mythology to pretty common themes to Greek mythology.

As a grad student I tend to geek-out over this stuff. Sorry if this was excessively long and rambly.

message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Indeed - there are some really beautiful stories in Welsh mythology.

I'm so happy to meet another Pound geek!

message 17: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) You know, bossy boots maybe, when reading ABC or Guide to Kulchur - but in the Cantos I read him more as a man with a message who wants people to see all the beauty in the world surrounding us, urgently, that's all.

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Yes, he was quite the unpopular man.

message 19: by Gåry! (last edited Apr 16, 2008 02:00PM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) I've always found religious myths to be quite interesting... especially the similarities between religions and the propagation of the myths and how they inform us as we lead our lives.

I'm especially fascinated (in a purely curious way) about the different mysticisms involved in the fundamental core texts and documents of Catholicism and Judaism.

I find much that's rooted in much earlier myths such as the common Roman and Greek mythologies as well as the fantastic Egyptian mythologies. It's relatively amazing how myths incorporate and sublimate parts of older myths.

Alright, I've used the word myth too many times. My bad. Is myth even a real word?

message 20: by Gåry! (last edited Apr 16, 2008 02:03PM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Have any of you ever watched this flick called Zeitgeist? It's been floating around the web... it's sometimes just plain outrageous in its hyperbole, but I find the first 3rd that discusses religion to be a pretty good summary of how things have shaken out over the centuries.

Interesting whether you think they're crackpots or not.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I want to check out some of those Welsh myths mentioned above. I've also never heard of Zeitgeist, but now I want to see it. Yay Netflix.

Was anyone else influenced by D'Aularies "Book of Greek Myths" and the accompanying "Book of Norse Myths"? Both books played huge roles in my becoming a reader. The illustrations and stories are perfect.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79...

I was thinking about Nick's question about recommendations all day. I'm not sure where to start. Go to a mythology section of a bookstore and look for what seems interesting. Oh, Nick, why don't you start with myths from Alaska? That might be cool. What do you think?

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 30 comments welll, considering my birthday is more or less on halloween (depends of if you're talking about the modern version or the original, pagan version), i've always been very much into all the myths surrounding that holiday and all it's iconography, especially black cats (i happen to have a black cat whom i'm very attached to, so that might have something to do with it). but i've always been very into ghosts and ghost stories and things that go bump in the night.

i'm also just a little bit superstitious (i always knock wood and i have a ridiculously difficult time ignoring chain letters, although obviously i don't believe most of the ones involving cats, since apparently westerners have always kind of thought they were evil), so all the stuff that's led to various superstitions has always interested me.

message 23: by Tracy (last edited Apr 17, 2008 07:34AM) (new)

Tracy | 30 comments oh nick, you totally should take randomanthony's suggestion about myths from alaska! native american mythology is really spectacularly interesting. way, way beyond just the tales of coyote and crow we've all heard in children's books. i spent a lot of time during the summers when i was kid up in the boundary waters of minnesota and further out west, and was always enthralled by stories of the wendigo and werewolves and spirit journeys.

not to mention alaskan/canadian native artwork is some of the most haunting and beautiful.

message 24: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Sue: what do you do?

message 25: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
mythed me, mythed me, now you gotta kyth me.

message 26: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
I think Charissa is baaaack!

message 27: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Tracy, I too am a black cat fan. I seem to see them all the time, and my mom has a huge black cat that used to scare the poo out of me but now I know he is just a big old baby. But man is he fierce!

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Every time I see this thread title I think "Myths" "Yeths?"

Is that from a movie or something? It's bugging me.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeth, probably. I saw that Broadway show last year.

message 30: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I mythed you all too! I just spent the first night in my new house. Woo hoo!! I have no heat. Boo. Damn, it's chilly. But... shiny shiny goodness. Back to bed..... every muscle in my body hurts.......