British Literature discussion

Current Book Discussions > Other books we are reading

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
I thought it would be interesting to discuss other books that we are reading that are not in the British Literature genre.

I am currently reading My Life in France. I have been working on it for a while, but hope to be able to read some more as soon as my semester is finished.

I love this book, because I love to read about living in other countries and I love to cook. I can just imagine myself in Julia Child's shoes; living in a small french apartment trying new recipes for fun.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) You'll have to let me know Sara if My Life in France is any good. I tried reading Julie and Julia My Year of Cooking Dangerously and quit. The Julia Child parts were interesting but the Julie parts of the book quite frankly ruined it. (I've read the same comments were said about the movie version.)

message 3: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I'm currently reading Frankenstein, Graceling, and There's Something About Christmas

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Sadie wrote: "I'm currently reading Frankenstein, Graceling, and There's Something About Christmas"

Graceling is a good book!

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
I loved Frankenstein. It was nothing like how I expected it to be and the surprise was nice. How far are you into it Sadie?

message 6: by Sadie (new)

Sadie not too far. Their servant girl has just been hung for killing his little brother. It is slow going because I'm reading it with my husband but only when we are driving to his parent's house on Sundays. Maybe we will finish it in time for next Halloween! :)

message 7: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawna638) | 171 comments Mod
I just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's about Liesel Meminger, a girl growing up in WWII Germany. After stealing her first book at her brother's burial, she grows to love words and books. I enjoyed this book because it was different--it's narrated by Death, sentences are broken into smaller sentences, there are asides. Having a German husband, I also liked the German words sprinkled here and there.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Just read three plays: The Last Yankee, The Ride Down Mt. Morgan, and Green Grow the Lilacs: A Play, which I didn't know was the basis for the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Oklahoma! until I'd started reading it. Got a late start on the BOM "Theatre" but am quite enjoying the reread. Also reading an MC Beaton mystery, one of Madelyn Alt's witch mysteries and I have Maeve Binchy's Whitethorn Woods going in the car. Yesterday I finished The King's Speech which I really enjoyed. Guess I'll have to see that movie in addition to rewatching "being Julia."

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Recently finished Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit by Piers Morgan.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I'm reading a play by Booth Tarkington called Clarence; A Comedy in Four Acts and Edith Wharton's Xingu, as well as Truman. In the car I'm listening to Consent To Kill and on the iPod at the gym, In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead. Lately I've tended to read several at once!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) And let me just say also that I'm really enjoying Evelina. I've read it before but that was nearly 20 years ago- I'd forgotten how much I liked it. I'll have to dig up her other books and read them.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Reading The Queen of Last Hopes The Queen of Last Hopes by Susan Higginbotham . I'm liking it although for some reason I'm finding the switching back and forth between points of view difficult-- probably because Margaret and Suffolk sound enough alike and are talking about the same situations to such an extent that the normal "separation" cues are missing. I'm enjoying it though.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Just started The Stolen Crown: The secret marriage that forever changed the fate of England The Stolen Crown The secret marriage that forever changed the fate of England by Susan Higginbotham which seems so far to be about the same story as The Queen of Last Hopes The Queen of Last Hopes by Susan Higginbotham only told from the perspective of some characters on the other side of the conflict. Interesting, and I didn't realize that when I started it. Plus it's the last book I need for a couple of my May challenges so BOOYAH!

message 16: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Just started on Ken Follett's Fall of Giants last night.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I finished three books I've been working on-- Franklin and Winston Franklin and Winston An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship by Jon Meacham , In the Shadow of the Crown In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6) by Jean Plaidy and Spinning into Butter: A Play Spinning into Butter A Play by Rebecca Gilman . "Franklin" was wonderful. "Shadow" was good in the beginning and then. Just. Got. Tedious. I was glad to see the end of it. "Spinning" was both good and disappointing-- it's about racism and she seems to get close to an a-ha moment without actually reaching it completely. But then, that may well be part of her point.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I just finished Murder Most Royal Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) by Jean Plaidy and not a moment too soon. I'd set myself to finish reading all of my unread Jean Plaidy this year but I am SO SICK of the Tudors I could hardly get through this one. I just wanted them to line up Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard and lop their heads off on page 2 and be done with it.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Currently reading: Dean and Me: Dean and Me (A Love Story) by Jerry Lewis , The Voysey Inheritance (Methuen Drama) (Modern Plays) by Harley Granville-Barker The Voysey Inheritance (Methuen Drama), The Youngest: A Play, Divine Inspiration Divine Inspiration by Jane Langton and A Fall from Grace A Novel of Suspense by Robert Barnard A Fall from Grace: A Novel of Suspense. I'll probably also start either the next Chiaverini in my list, or the next Cleo Coyle. Or both!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I'm reading Strapless Strapless by Deborah Davis which takes place largely in France, although I believe the artist in question spent much of his life in England. I can't believe the reaction the painting that is the subject of the book got at the time-- it's one of my favorite paintings.

message 21: by Robyn (new)

Robyn I am almost finished with The Help. It is wonderful! I am definitely going to see the movie.

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 14 comments Just located this Wikipedia page about the winners of the James Tait Black Prize, one of the oldest prizes in the literary world. I think we can find some great reads from this list. Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ta...

Thanks!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Just finished Gone with the Windsors Gone with the Windsors by Laurie Graham . Good book but my god, Wallis Warfield Simpson was annoying and selfish. I read a bio of her about 25 years ago and thought the same thing then.

message 24: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 14 comments Jennifer wrote: "Just finished Gone with the Windsors Gone with the Windsors by Laurie Graham. Good book but my god, Wallis Warfield Simpson was annoying and selfish. I read a bio of her about 25 y..."

Wallis was most likely the most selfish and self-centered woman ever to come into contact with the royal family, IMHO. And I have always been extremely grateful that this King abdicated the throne to marry her, because he was such a very weak man. And he also backed Germany; if his brother hadn't come into power to save the day, Britain would have become a Nazi-owned country, I think. Thanks.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Second Chance Second Chance by Jane Green , The Beach House The Beach House by Jane Green and Lola Carlyle Reveals All Lola Carlyle Reveals All by Rachel Gibson . I'm in the mood for some light reads.

message 26: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Since I finished Three Men in a Boat last month, I am following it with To Say Nothing of the Dog.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Just finished This Charming Man This Charming Man by Marian Keyes and ultimately really liked it, which is surprising if you consider that for the first 40% of it I was considering not finishing it because it annoyed me so much.....

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I just finished a collection of John Galsworthy's plays. He revisited some of his Forsyte themes-- social injustice, the things that desperation drives you to and the price you pay for giving in to it, and women trapped in unhappy marriages-- in some of them. I really enjoyed most of them.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I finished the last batch of simultaneous books yesterday and have started a slew more (one in the car, one on the iPod to listen to while getting ready for work, a few on the kindle, and one "real" book to read and donate to clear shelf space.
Murder by Mocha Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10) by Cleo Coyle
Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer Why Shoot a Butler?
Fellow Travelers Fellow Travelers by Thomas Mallon
Tripwire (Jack Reacher, #3) by Lee Child Tripwire
The Red Queen The Red Queen (The Cousins' War, #2) by Philippa Gregory
Evergreen Gallant by Jean Plaidy Evergreen Gallant

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) The Red Queen The Red Queen (The Cousins' War, #2) by Philippa Gregory is getting better. Now, bearing in mind that my exposure to what historians call "primary sources" is ZERO, I'm wondering if the sort of feminist interior reactions the main character is having about being parceled off to husband after husband without her consent would actually have occurred, or if they are a way to ensure the modern audience can identify with her and respect her.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I'm reading a slew of books at the moment. One of them is And Then There Were None which for some reason I expected to be kind of a chore. However it's really captured my attention. Good mystery!

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Finished As The Pig Turns As The Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22) by M.C. Beaton and was busily congratulating myself that I'm all caught up on this author when I found out she has published not one, but two more Hamish MacBeth since last I checked. Sigh. This one wasn't bad. She's been phoning them in somewhat the last couple years but still highly readable.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Finished Deeply, Desperately Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2) by Heather Webber (loved it-- did she really quit writing this series??) last night, and Crocodile on the Sandbank Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters tonight while I was cooking dinner. Really enjoyed it too, and fortunately the series is pretty good sized!!

message 34: by Jennifer (last edited May 10, 2012 08:53PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Finished What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller , which I liked but I liked the movie too so I expected to like this. Except at one point she makes reference to a screaming Americanism (or some other equally blatant adjective) and I frankly confess I didn't get what she was referring to. Too close to the trees to see the forest I guess!

message 35: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (k8mcgowan) | 2 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "You'll have to let me know Sara if My Life in France is any good. I tried reading Julie and Julia My Year of Cooking Dangerously and quit. The Julia Child parts were interesting but the Julie part..."

My Life in France is INCREDIBLE.

message 36: by Daniel J. (new)

Daniel J. Nickolas (danieljnickolas) I just finished reading the complete original published works of Jane Austen. (So Love and Friendship, The Watsons, Lady Susan, and Sandition are unread) I'm currently reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (fantastic, though a book that seems to be written for interpretation as apposed to written for story) and Black Bodies and Quantum Cats by Jennifer Ouellette, a book ANYONE looking into basic physics should read.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Been traveling this week and teaching. And reading: Finished Painted Ladies Painted Ladies (Spenser, #39) by Robert B. Parker and Sixkill Sixkill (Spenser, #40) by Robert B. Parker , which I could hardly bear to read because Parker died and finishing his unread books gets me closer to none left, Death of a Kingfisher Death of a Kingfisher (Hamish Macbeth, #28) by M.C. Beaton (probably her best book in several years), Flowering Wilderness Flowering Wilderness (Forsyte Saga) by John Galsworthy , Maid in Waiting Maid in Waiting (Forsyte Saga) by John Galsworthy and Over the River Over the River (Forsyte Saga) by John Galsworthy , (the last 3 of the 9-volume series, my favorite series, and a rare reread), and a dazzling book called The Age of Desire The Age of Desire by Jennie Fields . It's a novel about Edith Wharton in middle age and the writing was spellbinding in places.

message 38: by Bläckätare (new)

Bläckätare  (lautrededor) Three stories into Angela Carter's Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories. "Time, suspended like the rain, begins again in silence, slowly." I'm enthralled by her exquisite style.

message 39: by Mary (new)

Mary I read Christmas Pudding - Nancy Mitford and Christmas Holiday - W. Somerset Maugham for a British lit holiday theme.

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Just finished No Angel No Angel (The Spoils of Time, #1) by Penny Vincenzi which is the first of a trilogy and takes place in the era before and after the First World War. I was enthralled.