Between the Wars discussion

Ideas for Military Box

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 220 comments I do this every year, but am out of ideas this time. Does anyone have interesting ideas for small items to send in a Holiday box to a soldier?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Comic books or graphic novels?

message 3: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 220 comments Very good idea, they would take us less room in the package!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband and daughter enjoyed Runaways, Vol. 1 this past year.

message 5: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
Is this soldier a relative, Sarah?

message 6: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 220 comments No, I have no family members in the military right now. This box is part of a community service project, so I don't really know the person herself. It is coordinated by someone else also, so I don't really know the main group who actually gets the items sent over. It does seem they have cut it close on getting the boxes sent in time for actual Christmas Day! They are collecting the items today.

I may get started on another project, so I will go ahead and ask this also. Has anyone have information or personal knowledge of the needs of Native American or indigenous people? Particularly the schools? I have a contact on this, but I wondered if anyone has worked with them or read anything, since many of you live in different parts of N. America from me? I have just been reading about the poverty levels in areas surrounding Nat. Am. reservations.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Sarah,

Since the soldier is female, I would still recommend The Runaways or maybe the P & P graphic novel? Maybe a journal and pens or some interesting chocolate. Funny socks is another good idea (did you read about the soldier who ran out to fight in his flak vest and pink boxers?)

Can't help you with the Native Americans. We still have tribes here in Iowa, but I think there situation is different from some of the tribes in the Southwest.

message 8: by Gabriele (new)

My writers' group is collecting new and gently used books for Nunavut libraries, since they don't have many resources. This is what Wiki says - "Nunavut is both the least populated and the geographically largest of the provinces and territories of Canada. It has a population of 29,474, mostly Inuit, spread over an area the size of Western Europe. Nunavut is also home to the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world."

We've already donated our own books, for which they were really grateful, hence the idea of collecting more.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (AuntBarb) | 13 comments I haven't been on the discussions lately so I might have missed something, but Gabriele, how can I donate? I have lots of books and the older I get, the more I think I should start paring down.

message 10: by Gabriele (new)

How kind, Barbara! We managed to collect a lot of books on the weekend, and I know that the Nunavut libraries can't handle too large an influx of books at one time (due to staff and time limitations), so they may be OK at the moment. We've talked about sending books to African nations and places like Haiti as well, as there is certainly need for books in many places. I'm sure someone would be delighted with what you wish to donate, but I don't have any other contact info at the moment.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Runaways, Vol. 1 (other topics)