World Peace discussion

methods

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

so how do we achieve world peace ?
education ? international institutions ?
or is some sort of uniformity in society necessary ?

message 2: by I B KHANDEL (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

I B KHANDEL | 1 comments All have to "sacrifice" for each other.

I can't give solutions to all of life's problems, doubts, or fears.
But I can listen to you and together we will search for answers.
I can't change your past with all its heartache and pain,
Nor the future with its untold stories.
But I can be there now when you need me to care.
I can't keep your feet from stumbling.
I can only offer my hand that you may grasp it and not fall.
Your joys, triumphs, success, and happiness are not mine;
Yet I can share in your laughter.
Your decisions in life are not mine to make, nor to judge;
I can only support you, encourage you, and help you when you ask.
I can't prevent you from falling away from friendship, from your values, from me.
I can only pray for you, talk to you, and wait for you.
I can't give you boundaries which I have determined for you,
But I can give you the room to change, room to grow, room to be yourself.
I can't keep your heart from breaking and hurting,
But I can cry with you and help you pick up the pieces and put them back in place.
I can only be your friend.
I.B.Khandel

message 3: by Tony (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

Tony | 1 comments Quite frankly, I wonder sometimes if it is too late to achieve world peace. The nations that have the most power do not seem to want world peace but rather more of a piece of the world. Power seems to have been consolidated and the military-industrial-techno complex marches over well intended individuals. I still maintain limited optimism but on what that is based I cannot say.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

perhaps the growing awareness of the masses will eventually bring some sort of return to genuine democracies which will be more rationally governed. The media is stll largley controlled by corporate interests but the internet provides an independent means of communicating and linking different peoples together. perhaps the growing economic interdependency of nations will stifle old conflicts. On the other hand it may also merely serve to transfer shocks around the system ; witness the Wall Street Crash that led to the rise of Hitler. perhaps growing gender equality will lead to less of a mascuine mentality that sees force as an acceptable way of resolving conflict.
perhaps life on other planets will soon be discovered which will begin the end of religion. nationalism is already much on the wane. But ultimately there are too many pressing causes of war that do indeed look likely to doom us before long. The end of oil and future conflicts over energy and fresh water look likely to finish us before any postive long term trends can be felt. At the end of the day there just too many damn people on this planet.

message 5: by Payam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

Payam | 1 comments while you are wondering about a "world peace" there should be something like "self-peace", "home peace", "family peace" or "country peace". They are the elements of such a perfect ideal goal. I think that peace is an individaul mission. Everyone can have their own effects. By living peacefully in their local area, by giving the message of peace to the other people and by empowering others to believe their own power that they can move it even 1mm. This is a story of a chain that shouldn't end to you. The chain of peace.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

World peace most definitely starts with individuals who live peaceably and teach that peace to their children.
I like to think that everything I do I do for peace so I'm breathing peace all day every day and I'm not just working for peace, I'm living for peace.
Here is my mantra:
WIth every breath you are the creator
So breathe deeply in
and deeply out
in Peace!

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited May 16, 2007 06:59AM) (new)

Do you believe that peace is something we teach?
Isn't it something we are born with? Within our family we tend to be basically peaceful. Somehow though we learn an "us versus them" version of life and the "us" is such a small group that we become anxious and mistrustful of everyone else.
Maybe the best thing we can do is to teach our children that the "us" is everyone and there really is no "them". We need to stop creating enemies.

message 8: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Héctor Dear Luizka:
The science historian Michel Serres said that the war was a contract signed by the parents of two or more nations to annihilate reciprocaly to your sons. What do you think?. Héctor

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I can understand why he feels that way having seen so much death and destruction personally when he was a child. He must have felt that the parental role had broken down completely!

We like to think that "if only" women were in charge there would be no war since mothers could not possibly support the killing of other mothers' children...

Perhaps we should listen more closely to the voices of those children of war who see things from their perspective. Serres has a very valid point! What else are we doing when we wage war except agreeing to go and kill other people's children?!?!?

message 10: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Héctor Here in Argentina, some women-mothers used the expression "We gave sons to the homeland (patria)" for refering to send sons to the war and receive them dead.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think too that it is important to differentiate imperialistic war-making from battlling to retain or protect one's own homeland. It truly is a brave son who dies in a fight for his homeland and a proud mother who mourns.

Fighting and killing to secure the natural resources of another region puts a different spin on things. How do we justify sending our sons and daughters to die (and to kill) to "protect" the "rights" of those who profit from modern day war?

message 12: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Héctor My "homeland" is the Universe!!! (My mother isn´t proud of me)...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you a "universal" soldier? For what cause do you fight?

(And BTW, what's up with your mother?)

message 14: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Héctor Mamma, I don´t want to be a soldier (Lennon) or better: I´m a Soldier of Love (Beatles). Even, my mother loves me...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

are humans biologically programed for war - is a tribal mentality almost inevitable given that it used to be essential for survival ?