Movies We've Just Watched discussion

My Kid Could Paint That

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) I just watched this documentary. As a doc, it's really incredible... it will definitely leave you polarized on one side or the other by the end of it.

It's about a 4 year old girl who's paintings are selling in major art galleries for major dollars. It brings into question what you think about art and it's creation and meaning.

Personally, I don't subscribe much to the school of thought where the viewer is expected to assign his own values or interpretations to something, I think an artist should have a vision and be able to express what the purpose is of their work. Otherwise, what's the point?

Of course, nothing is ever as cut and dried as that. I understand that.

Anyway, highly recommended if you're at all interested in art or are a working artist.

message 2: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Oh don't worry, I completely get it and agree with most of your post, however, I prefer my art (acquired or created) to be intentional - even Pollock had intent.

I disagree that my opinion of the work is as relevant as the artists though... but that's just one artists opinion I would never short someone their own and certainly everyone is allowed to assign whatever value they wish. ;)

AND, in this particular case, I have my doubts about the legitimacy of it all... the work she's famous for is too well constructed compared to the work she generates on camera, but at least they have a story to "explain" it.

I just doubt.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This movie looked great from what I saw of it...need to rent it.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments This little girl was on Dateline or one of those news shows. They tried to tape her "creating", what ends up happening is her father "helps" her with what colors go well together and how she applies them. Sorry, I've seen the paintings, they are no more than what most 4 year olds would create. There was quite a bit of crying when it was "artist time" also.
My child can draw a perfect snail, she is 4, maybe I should try and sell some of her snail pics for $100,000....they even have the snail trail! ;)

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed | 219 comments Mod
I heard about that elephant...so it's true?

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Apparently so, although rather abstract. Anyone want to buy a snail painting? $49.99 complete with snail trail, could be the best investment you've ever made as my 4 year old says she is going to be an artist when she grows up. I take Paypal. ;)