Evil Avatar discussion

Books of the Month > April - The Raw Shark Texts

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh (new)

Josh | 3 comments Looks like Torrefaction is lagging a bit in putting up the discussion so I figured I would start it.

I picked up the book last night from Borders and just finished it. I haven't gulped down a book this quickly in quite sometime.

message 2: by Goronmon (new)

Goronmon That sounds almost exactly like what I did. Grabbed it from Borders Friday after work, and I had finished reading it by the next afternoon.

message 3: by Goronmon (last edited Apr 14, 2008 07:18AM) (new)

Goronmon So, I'd say the big question surrounding the book, was any of it real, or was it all just a result of the disassociative disorder mixed with psychotropic fugue?

The one thing I'm curios about, but too lazy to sift through the book to find out. Is the place mentioned in the newspaper clipping where he was located at the end of the book, or was it somewhere else along the way? I don't remember them ever saying exactly where he was.

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh | 3 comments I just double checked and the clipping stated that they found him in Deansgate, which is where they had gone into Unspace. They had mentioned that the body had been recovered amongst "foundation works" which I am assuming would be the underground area they had snuck into.
Perhaps they found him where they had boarded the Orpheus.

message 5: by Goronmon (new)

Goronmon But wasn't that area hidden by the crazy maze of papers and whatnot?

message 6: by Josh (new)

Josh | 3 comments I think it was probably in the tunnels they went through before they got to the Theta maze. They seemed to be traveling about in the tunnels before they got to that point though. I imagine maybe they had found the body around the warehouse where they had setup camp.

message 7: by Goronmon (new)

Goronmon I guess the point I am getting at is that it seems to point to this all being a result of psychological issues on Eric's part leading him to manufacture these events and eventually leading to his own death.

message 8: by Goronmon (new)

Goronmon Must have more comments!

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy (arphahat) I, too, read through this in a day. It was a very entertaining story. I am still working out what my opinion is on what was actually happening and will probably post my "essay" in a day or so.

In the mean time, I wanted to bring up something that struck me about the story. The cat, Ian... I think that there is something important about him, but I still mulling over what it might be.

Ian is the name of one of the two cats that Eric and Clio own together. Thus, he had this cat since he and Clio were on the island and she had her accident. However, everyone that he meets from his past is surprised that he currently has a cat.

They all assume that the cat must be new, but Eric assumes that the cat must be old. So, what is up with the cat?

Also, on a completely different note, there are some "un-chapters," one for each chapter in the story. I haven't read them, yet, but they are discussed by the author on the book's site in this thread: http://rawsharktexts.com/unspace/view...

message 10: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) I haven't finished reading it yet, so I'm only skimming the comments above to avoid spoilers.

Did anyone else find themselves imagining what an incredible movie this story might make? The imagery of the concept creatures alone would be fantastic.

More posts once I'm finished.

message 11: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) Alright, finally finished. I REALLY enjoyed this book.

As for what was real and what wasn't: I'm happy to leave it ambiguous, even in my own mind. Who's to say what "real" is, after all? If Eric perceived things as real, who are we as outside observers to argue with that?

Very good book. The Ludovician is just SUCH a cool concept.

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric | 13 comments Finished the book, late obviously, but it was great. I was quite surprised how good the book was. It started out slowly, as most books do for me, but around page 70 or so, it picked up.

It had some great imagery both figuratively and literally. I loved the way the publisher created the shark designs in the book, especially at the end where it was swimming.. I do wonder how it all really ended.

Anyone else noticed the discrepancy for the times Dr. Randle was caring for Eric? I thought at the beginning she said more then the two at the end of the book.

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 13 comments Found a great deal this weekend while shopping at the BN in Saratoga NY. In their Bargain section, a hardcover version of this book for only $6. Must buy in my mind.

message 14: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) It's definitely a must-buy!

message 15: by Nat (new)

Nat | 13 comments Amazingly, you can get the paperback at B&N for $14 or have them order the hardback at a bargain price for $5.99.

Guess which one I went with? :D I hope it's as good as you guys are making it out to be. I'm just now catching up on the April Book of the Month.