Helen of Troy Helen of Troy discussion

Sympathy?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayley How well did you guys sympathize with Helen? Were there any moments when you did not, or when you sympathized with others over her?

message 2: by Lesley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lesley There were times in this book when I thought that Helen was an awful, awful twerp! But as the book progresses I started to identify and like her, even though there were moments when you wish she would think of someone other than herself!

Laura Gill I thought she was far too contemporary for my tastes. It also bothered me immensely that Margaret George did not set this book in its proper Bronze Age time period, and that she neglected some very important aspects of the Helen story.

Tina Michelle I did sympathathize with the child Helen very easily. I idea of her going about veiled and hidden away, hearing whispers in corners got to me. The adult Helen, not so much. She left her chlld for a stranger because she had a good roll in the hay?

message 5: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Mcduncan I sympathetic towards Helen for the sheer fact that she lived a very sheltered life. She was never allowed to be become her own person. She lived most of her life pleasing others.

Ladynight There were a few moments throughout the book that I really sympathize with her, but there were other times when I felt she was very selfish. I mean, she left her daughter behind and didn't even try to see her until 20 years later....poor child.
Other than that, I loved the book!!!

Anthony.benton ti was a great book