Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > A Disorder Peculiar to the Country

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

David (David_Giltinan) | 58 comments The protagonists were so horribly vile I could barely bring myself to finish this book.

Obviously it's possible to write well about obnoxious people, but don't look for good writing here. And aspects of the plot were frankly ludicrous.

A dreadful book about dreadful people. Save your money and your time.

message 2: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

David (David_Giltinan) | 58 comments Well, there are plenty of books that I like. :) The 160 or so reviews that I've contributed to bookreads seem to me to be fairly evenly split. There is the odd phenomenon that one is far more likely to be moved to write a review about a book that one really loved or really hated, so that the majority of my reviews tend to be either for 5-star or 1-star books.

Is there a group for "Books that cause me to go into raptures"? If so, 3 nominees of mine would be Marguerite Yourcenar's "Memoirs of Hadrian", Ann Patchett's "Bel Canto" and David Foster Wallace's "A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again". But this may be wandering dangerously off-topic for a post to this particular group ...

message 3: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Xysea  (Xysea) David, I read Bel Canto recently & LOVED it. :)

message 4: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 64 comments I have mixed feelings about Bel Canto. Didn't loathe it but sure didn't love it either. The thing that ruined it for me was the ending... I need more closer than that, I guess. I got invested in the characters and kept waiting for some great climax and then...bleh. Very disappointing.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (Limecrete) I feel like I may have enjoyed this book more if it weren't so mismarketed as a black comedy. Nothing about it is comedic in the slightest. As it is, I agree with David. It's a book about horrible people doing horrible things to each other, with nothing to balance it out.