Southern Gothic discussions discussion

Most Underrated Southern Gothic Fiction Evah!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Delbridge (zulu) What book would you nominate as the most under-rated (or under-read)work of Southern Gothic fiction?

Mine would have to be Suzanne Hudson's harrowing In a Temple of Trees. A great mystery, believable characters, and phenomenal writing! It's based on a real murder that happened in Brewton, Alabama.

Melissa

Check it out. I hope I'm doing this link correctly.

In a Temple of Trees

message 2: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Mollere | 1 comments Melissa,

I just joined the group and am assuming you are the author of Family Bible. If so, are you coming to give a talk in Austin, or is your book tour over? Also, for anyone interested in a cross-over between Southern Gothic and experimental, I have a new prose-poetic novella out that may interest you. You can find reviews and a synopsis at

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61...

Thanks,
Edgar

message 3: by Bella (new)

Bella Street (bellastreet) | 1 comments Have not heard of In a Temple of the Trees. Will check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Murphy | 1 comments Tav Falco of Panther burns, Mississippi. "Ghosts Behind the Sun: Splendor, Enigma & Death: Mondo Memphis Volume 1"

Tav Falco's sprawling study of Memphis begins with the Civil War massacre at Fort Pillow, the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1878 and the grisly murders of the Harp Brothers. Falco traces these legends of Reconstruction-era Memphis to an equally brutal twentieth century underworld - Beale Street kingpin Jim Canaan, Edward Crump's political machine, the Dixie Mafia, and others. Also included are revelatory dialogues concerning the city's many music legends, from rockabilly icons Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Charlie Feathers to more underground figures such as Jim Dickinson and country blues wailer Jessie Mae Hemphill. Interwoven with these accounts is an autobiographical history of Falco's own time in Memphis, including his involvement with performance art ensemble Insect Trust, working with pop/rock maverick Alex Chilton, and the formation of his seminal rock and roll band, Panther Burns. The book also contains over 80 illuminating photographs, mostly previously unseen originals by Falco. GHOSTS BEHIND THE SUN is Volume One of MONDO MEMPHIS, a dual encyclopedic history of Memphis written by Tav Falco and cultural critic Erik Morse. Volume Two, Morse's roman noir, BLUFF CITY UNDERGROUND, will be published in 2012. MONDO MEMPHIS is both an original history of the gothic South and an intertext of the urban legends, rural fables and literary clichés that have made the Bluff City both a metropolis of dreams and a necropolis of terrors..

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy (randy_thornhorn) | 1 comments Underrated? Not sure. But how often does Davis Grubb or The Night Of The Hunter ever get mentioned? I think Grubb is under-appreciated and gets lost in the marsh grass and cattails.

message 6: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Campbell | 6 comments I studied more than a decade with Harry Crews, spent a life working for abused kids. First e book out ... Luke's Run ...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Kenneth,
What are your favorite/recommended novels by Harry Crews?
Thanks, Jody

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Campbell | 6 comments I liked Scar Lover and of course Feast osf Snakes.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. I just finished All the Pretty Horses. It is quite a read.

message 10: by Peggie (new)

Peggie Otto | 2 comments There are several books by this title. Which author were you reading? Also, what did you like about the book?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Peggie, Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses. Of course, it may be argued that it is not southern 'gothic.' What I loved best is his provocative prose; how he structured the novel; and themes of alienation, loss, loyalty among so much more that is in this little gem.

message 12: by Peggie (new)

Peggie Otto | 2 comments Thanks Jody for the additional information. I'll be adding it to my list.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam Webber (pamwebber) | 1 comments Scorched Earth by David L. Robbins(-:

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott Smith | 1 comments Id have to go with Feast of Snakes by Harry Crews.