Working Seattle Moms discussion

Reading with your children

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keri (new)

Keri | 15 comments I hope you don't mind my starting a topic. This is a comment I wrote about reading Secret Garden again with my daughter a few years ago and it seemed relevant to this group:
I have probably forgotten more books that I have read than some people have on their Goodreads book list. I do remember how much I liked them. My ratings are quite accurate to how I rated them when I read them. Maybe I should spend the last years of my life rereading all of the books I read earlier. This statement is from someone that never rereads books except Jane Austen. This book however is different because I read it again a few years ago with my daughter. With my first child I stopped reading with him when he started to read for himself. However when it was just about too late for him I read it was good to continue to read with your children even when they started reading on their own. My daughter benefited from this if "they" are right. If I was going to read with her I decided there must be some purpose to it if she could read and choose books for her self. The obvious one was to introduce her to books that were great that she would never check out for herself. So that is what I did. and that is why I reread this book. What hit me rereading this book is that I didn't remember all the descriptions of all the plants growing and nature, the garden coming alive. Frankly they made me nervous this second time through. Would my daughter like this book as well as I did at her age? Was it too slow paced for her to appreciate? I was surprised that I as a girl and she did not seem to mind the slow pace these descriptions caused. The Garden coming alive was the metaphor for the main character coming alive, surviving the hardship and neglect. Was my life slower then? Of course it was and hopefully our children's life is still slower paced. I worry that childhood is no longer as slow paced as it needs to be. I was glad to find that both my own and my daughter's childhood was at least slowed paced enough for valuing this book. She loved it enough to be disgusted at how little the movies achieved what the book had to offer. If I hadn't reread this I may not have realized why. I should not have been anxious this is in fact what reading aloud is made for.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky | 8 comments WOW that is a great comment. My son is still to young to read on his own, but we read all the time and I have always looked forward to when we would read aloud to each other (something my husband and I do with harry potter and other such books) This helps me believe I'm on the right track!

message 3: by Keri (new)

Keri | 15 comments Here is a review I wrote about the Barbara Helen Berger Picture books and more specifically for Grandfather Twilight: I think this is my favorite of the Barbara Berger children's picture books. She is an artist in the Pacific Northwest and the artwork is beautiful. The stories are wonderful too. I see there are more now. When my children were small I tried to get them all. So I should put the new ones on my to-read list for potential grandchildren.

message 4: by Keri (new)

Keri | 15 comments I have two kids on Goodreads and it is really fun to read their reviews and comments. Often it is only books they have to read for school. Walking with my daughter out of dance class one day she saw someone with the Kite Runner and said "That's an awsome book." The girls looked at her like what planet are you from? but I was proud of her and she is right it is an awesome book. When she posts a comment she has to watch out. Her Aunt from Paris is going to comment and she was a comparative lit major. It is wonderful.

message 5: by Keri (new)

Keri | 15 comments Something almost as delightful as reading a Jane Austen novel is to have one of your children read one. What is even more delightful is that it is my grown son reading all the Jane Austen novels. He had read Pride & Prejudice. He was an English major. But now it is so fun that he is reading all the others. I shouldn't be surprised he read all the Little House on the Prairie Books when he was in grade school. Something my daughter never managed to do. I hope he is enjoying the humor in this book. He quoted the beginning to me on our walk around Greenlake and it made me want to read the first few pages of this again. He wanted to read something lighter before going on to Emma. I suggested this. He just completed Mansfield Park. I hope he saves my favorite Persausion till last.