The Classics discussion

Book selection for April/May

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marci (last edited Apr 10, 2008 06:03PM) (new)

Marci (bookjunkie71) i am not really familiar w most of these, i'll have to do a lil research and let u know my pick

message 2: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
Since I have a copy of "The Jungle" handy I vote for Sinclair.

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyh) | 13 comments I'm most interested in The Trial or The Heart of Darkness but am fine to start with the Jungle if that becomes the pick. Also, prefer to start May 1st.

message 4: by Jimipi (new)

Jimipi | 1 comments I want to read The Heart of Darkness.

message 5: by Lora (new)

Lora I'm a new member and am interested in the discussion. Heart of Darkness is too much for me...I've had my share of it in college and don't want to revisit it again. I'm not familiar with The Jungle, so that sounds interesting.

message 6: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
Sounds good.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyh) | 13 comments Sounds good to me too,
Thanks a lot.

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cmkeel) | 2 comments I am new to the group and I am really excited about the book discussion. Personally, I vote for Conrad's Heart of Darkness. My second choice would be The Trial by Kafka. I am almost positive that most of Kafka's writings are available online, for those who don't have it or don't the extra money to purchase the book. Just a thought...

I've never heard of the Metamorphosis by Ovia. It sounds interesting. I think it will pick up a copy just in case we read it this time or in another discussion down the road. Also, I'd like to throw another one out there for later discussion: The Violent Bear it Away by Flannery O'Connor. It is an awesome book and on that would excellent in discussion, imo.

Since today is the last day for proposals, when will you announce the book to be read?

Thanks!

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cmkeel) | 2 comments Okay, you all have already been a bad influence on me. :) I went to a used bookstore to pick up a copy of The Jungle. I purposely waited until right before the store closed to get there so I wouldn't have time to shop. Of course, unbeknown to me, the town was having a "family's night out", so the bookstore was staying open until 10pm. Conveniently, there is another used bookstore (Christian) two doors down from this one that was staying open late too. So, I got to hit them both; oh joy!

To my dismay, they didn't have The Jungle. So, I had to comfort myself by purchasing a few others, well, 15 to be exact. :)) I know, I'm a glutton. My wife has been upset with me for a bit cause I've had all my books off the shelves trying to get them all cataloged here. Needless to say, she wasn't smiling when I walked back in the house with two bags of more books. LOL

I picked up Sinclair's World's End. I got a book that contains both Kafka's The Castle and The Trial. I also got Tom Perrotta's Little Children. I got that one because it sounded so much akin to my own life these days. The rest of the books I got revolved around Jewish and early Christian history. I've been on a religious history kick of late and have been reading allot along those lines.

All in all, I am happy with my purchases. The Perrotta book was new, but I did get it for half price. Its been a long time since I've purchased a new book outright. Used books are such a better deal, especially if you plan on turning them around or swapping them out for something else.

If anyone has a copy of The Jungle or a good idea of where I can get one, let me know.