Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Fantasy > Welcome Fantasy Authors and Readers!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,583 (1583 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 31 32

message 1: by Vincent, Mod & Author (last edited Nov 21, 2009 04:21PM) (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1062 comments Mod
This folder is for readers and writers of fantasy fiction.

Welcome! Please post your books or leave a comment!

message 3: by Vincent, Mod & Author (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1062 comments Mod
If you wouldn't mind, please provide a little detail on your book for readers to see.

Thanks!

message 4: by Lady (new)

Lady (BestNewFantasySeries) | 78 comments Vincent wrote: "This folder is for readers and writers of fantasy fiction.

Welcome! Please post your books or leave a comment!"

Hello All... My name is Lady Ellen, author of The Persephane Pendrake Chronicles. This is a planned nine book series, three trilogies set in three very different magical times.
The first book is out at Amazon http://budurl.com/Persy B&N, Borders and many smaller bookstores over the web.
In a nutshell.....

Persephane Pendrake, or Persy as she prefers to be called, is without a question, a very talented young witch. But now, as she closes in on her thirteenth birthday, her powers seem to be changing...evolving and growing at an unruly speed.

All of her life she's been made to keep her abilities under the proverbial 'black hat'. Her parents James and Angelica fear their lives being turned into a three ringed circus if the public at large find out they are Magical Folk.

After an incident at school incenses her to the point of allowing one of her little 'abilities' to slip out and be observed, Persy's life becomes a cascade of weird events. A fairy pleads for her help and a large bear tells her that her destiny is about to start unfolding, beginning with her first experience with the Time-Linx!

It's after this that she and her familiar Benson (a VERY cheeky dragonfly) meet Thaddeus, a wizard and his sidekick P-C (a 'not so brave' dragon).

These four get the shock of their lives, when it's revealed that their actual destiny together includes a dark, dangerous and on the surface - nearly impossible task.

They must stop the cold and evil Melanthios from collecting nine magical objects and becoming the "All Powerful One" which would allow her and her demonic minions to rule our planet in darkness and Black Magic.
english fantasy novels

Persy, Thaddeus, Benson and P-C are assisted by a highly adept, scrying gypsy named Vadoma, a vampire with a rather warped sense of humor - Count Pseudomorphius the Sanguine who is known as Murph...for obvious reasons.

Not to be forgotten is the twelve member Magical Governing Council, which Persy's grandmother Laurel is one of the lead members. Each member specializes in a particular area of magic and all have a gift to give our heroes to further enhance their chances against Melanthios.

But is it enough? Melanthios is evil and heartless....and VERY powerful...

The series has been well received and makes a GREAT Christmas gift for that Potter lover...looking for a new fantasy book series to follow..
In Dreams and Magic..
Lady Ellen
www.lady-ellen.com

message 5: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 142 comments Hello, I'm A. F. Stewart and I've written a collection of fantasy short stories called Inside Realms.

Inside Realms is a fantasy short story collection exploring themes of love, loss, death and vengeance. It is a compilation of nine short stories, telling the odd tales of wizards, magic, vampires, ghosts and deities.

Come greet the Song Mages, the denizens of Camelot, the Vampire Order, The Undead, the Second World and various other characters.

message 6: by Lorne (new)

Lorne Rothman | 5 comments Hello

I'm Lorne Rothman, the author of Southcrop Forest

"Southcrop Forest" is an ecological fantasy quest and a fable about trees, their remarkable powers, and their declining civilization in a world we humans are rapidly changing. The story is steeped in the natural sciences and native American history, made accessible through an engaging, Tolkienesque narrative. A menagerie of plants and animals parades across its pages. Threats from urban sprawl, deforestation and climate change are central to the plot.

"Southcrop Forest" has won awards for environmental and nature writing, as well as fantasy.

message 7: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 56 comments This sounds like a good book for study as well as enjoyment. What age groups would you put this at? All encompassing, adult or would young people and perhaps older children find it a source much like a textbook but much more entertaining. I'm thinking young adult & up definitely but would prefer to hear your take on it.

message 8: by Lorne (new)

Lorne Rothman | 5 comments Hi Betty

Yes, the book could be used in the classroom. It's packed with information. Several amazon reviewers have made this point.

http://www.amazon.com/Southcrop-Fores...

The book would be most appropriate for middle school grades, though I did have some positive feedback from a grade 5 student who did a school book report on it.

It's also informative for adults and may be read as an allegory, though the story itself is for youngsters.

Regards
Lorne

message 9: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 56 comments Thanks Lorne, it's in my wish list now.

message 10: by Julia (last edited Dec 19, 2009 12:51PM) (new)

Julia Knight (JuliaKnight) | 6 comments Hi Vince

Thanks for the invite :D

My book, ILfayne's Bane

Ilfayne's Bane (Oathcursed) by Julia Knight

is now out in print and has also been nominated for an EPIC award. It's an action / adventure with a splash of romance. The sequel is due out next year.

Here's the blurb

He destroyed a continent. Dethroned a god. Now her love will destroy him.

Oathcursed, Book One

Hilde is shunned for her strange looks and ability to dream the future, both unwelcome gifts of the half-kyrbodan blood that flows in her veins. One of those dreams summons the legendary mage, Ilfayne. Beneath his cynicism and penchant for melting eyeballs, she discovers a tortured man driven by demons as cruel as her own. And the only man who doesn’t recoil from her.

Condemned to four thousand years of loneliness and regret, Ilfayne finds a rare thing in Hilde: a friend. For that, he will do anything to keep her safe. Just as he gathers the courage to reveal the tender feelings he thought he’d lost, her kyrbodan blood forces her to bond with a man of her own race. To deny the bond means she could die. Either way, she is lost to him.

Now llfayne’s oldest enemy has resurfaced, a sorcerer who will stop at nothing to destroy him. Including targeting their greatest vulnerabilities—Ilfayne’s hidden love for Hilde, and Hilde’s guilt-wracked conscience.

When the sorcerer makes his move, Hilde holds the lives of two men in her hands—and faces a terrible and deadly choice. Loyalty…or love.

Warning! This book contains a jaded hero, sarcasm, violence, and magic spells involving aggressive turnips.

message 11: by Russ (new)

Russ Woody | 17 comments Hi.

The Wheel of Nuldoid is my first novel and I think you should read it because it was really a pain in the ass to write.

www.Nuldoid. com

message 12: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 56 comments Well, that's an eye-catcher! Unusual promotion but you got noticed. ;-)

message 13: by Russ (new)

Russ Woody | 17 comments Betty
Well, thanks. My hard promotional work paid off.

message 14: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (GloriaOliver) | 20 comments Hi!
My name is Gloria Oliver

I have four books currently in print for YA Fantasy/Fantasy genre with another on the way. Let me put some links in here and a little bit about each one.

In the Service of Samurai by Gloria Oliver
The choice: Serve the undead or become one of them.

Toshi never expected the strange visitor who one evening stepped foot inside his master’s shop. A samurai smelling of the sea, dripping on the ground, algae strung from his armor. For the first time in his life, he discovers that monsters do roam the earth. And this one has been specifically looking for him.

Dragged from his home and all he has ever known, Toshi must now use his acquired skills in foreign maps to help the creatures who have taken him. Yet at every turn there are problems. There are even those seeking to terminate his very life, not wanting his new master to succeed in his assigned task. And when they do find it, Toshi discovers his new master’s enemies have prepared for their eventual arrival, leaving him the only one capable of recovering what has been lost. Can he do what even the undead cannot? Or will he fail and be forced to wander the world as one of them?

Vassal of El by Gloria Oliver

Torn between two worlds, will he be able to save either of them?

Torren wanted nothing more than to forget his past and endure the life it had forced upon him. One small, begrudging act of kindness, however, embarks him on a path which will bring him face to face with everything he has so heartily attempted to avoid.

In so doing, events which seemed to have no bearing on his old life now appear to be tangled with it and his present.

Caught between the world of his birth and the one he currently lives in, will Torren be able to set aside his hate and guilt long enough to keep both from utter destruction?

Willing Sacrifice by Gloria Oliver

To save the world she must die! Or does she?

For as long as she can remember, La'tiera has known her purpose, her destiny. As the Bearer of the Eye, she will wait until the appointed time then sacrifice herself to the demons so the lands will be safe.

Yet as the time approaches, she is snatched from her home by strangers and is told it is for her protection. These strangers tell her she is not to be a sacrifice, but must fight to live in order for the world to be saved.

La'tiera will not be swayed, however, her duty clear. Despite their clever lies, she will follow through on her destiny and do what is required. Her every effort will be put to freeing herself from her kidnappers and meeting her fate as planned.

[image error]

Talia didn’t want to be apprenticed, not even to the prestigious Dragon Knight’s Guild. She is taken to the school by a cross-eyed dragon and his partner, Kel. A dizzying, madcap ride leaves her less than eager to be a knight, but soon she finds out the guild has need of many types of people. Running into the dragon and squire again and again, she comes to realize the unlikely pair are outsiders in their own school—participants of the dragon-human pairing ritual, which in the end didn’t work quite as intended. They are stubborn loners who are determined to overcome the obstacles in their path and make a true pair. Or are they?

As Talia’s first year at the guild evolves, she must deal with the quirks of the Administrator, her lessons, the odd rules of the school, the students, the mystery of Clarence and Kel, and somewhere in there, possibly decide what it is she wants for her own future.

Sample chapters and other info can be found at www.gloriaoliver.com

message 15: by Marlayne (new)

Marlayne Giron (thevictorbook) | 9 comments Marlayne Giron

Hello everyone. The Victor is an allegory of the Bible/Gospels as a medieval/fantasy/fiction love-story. Teaser: "A benevolent King; his sword of power; a ruthless traitor bent on revenge and the faithful son who stands in his way with the woman destined to share his throne. Who shall emerge the victor in this epic battle between good and evil to rule the lives of hapless men?"

"It is Lord of the Rings, Meets Chronicles of Narnia meets The Sword in the Stone." Sandra Stiles, middle school teacher

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Collins Hello; my name is Robert Collins. I write both fantasy & SF. For fantasy fans I have a short story collection, "The Sagas of Surgard."

What's it about? "Thrill to the the sagas of Surgard the Northerner as he collected tales from across the known lands of man. Stand alongside the heroic and witty Surgard as he faces down foolish giants, singing dwarves, duplicitous wizards, suspicious savages, and worst of all, a monster with an attorney! This collection assembles 13 stories published between 1995 and 2008, and includes two stories never before in print. Most poke fun at some famous myth or fictional tale. Needless to say, the stories in this collection are great for anyone looking for a few laughs with their magic and monsters."

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Lowell (nlowell) | 2 comments Hail and well met!
My normal genre is SF but during the 2009 NaNoWriMo some of my fans challenged me to do a Fantasy novel. I have to confess that the idea of taking all the standard tropes and standing them on edge to tell a different kind of fantasy appealed to me. The result is available at the iTunes music store and Podiobooks.com as a free podcast novel.

Ravenwood: A Tanyth Fairport Adventure
After twenty winters on the road, Tanyth makes one last pilgrimage in her quest to learn all she can about the herbs and medicinal plants of Korlay before settling down to write her magnum opus. Her journey is interrupted when she stops to help a small village and learns that much of what she knows of the world may not be quite as it seems.

Ravenwood by Nathan Lowell

message 18: by Toni (new)

Toni Leland (ToniLeland) | 3 comments Hi There...
my name is Toni Leland and I've been writing fiction for over 12 years. My usual genre is thriller and suspense with some romantic elements, but I recently decided to try my hand at crafting a book like some of the wonderful fantasy stories that have become so popular lately. I gathered all my interests and my love of the unknown to create "A Garden of Secrets".

~~For Eva Brown, a job at the sprawling estate of Winterwood in the mountains along the Oregon Coast is supposed to be her second chance at happiness–an opportunity to practice her love of gardening and bury her heartache, but too soon, she falls under the powerful spell of handsome and frightening Adam Cole, a man whose past and present are shrouded in mystery.

When Eva’s own connection to Winterwood is revealed, her world crosses the line from reality to fantasy and she becomes part of the legion that protects Winterwood’s secret garden.~~
A Garden of Secrets by Toni Leland

Available at my website http://www.tonileland.com , on Amazon.com in both print and Kindle editions, and as an e-book on Smashwords.com

message 19: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Hello, I just joined this board in hopes of meeting new authors and readers of fantasy books. I have a daughter that is into writing and loves the fantasy genre so it would be great to learn a few things from this area in hopes of helping her out.
Also, I just love reading fantasy books cause they are loads of fun...extremely exciting stuff.

message 20: by Marlayne (new)

Marlayne Giron (thevictorbook) | 9 comments Hi Steven! I'm the author of a fantasy/fiction Christian romance your daughter might really like (and you). If you're a home schooler it also comes with a Teacher's guide and has been Lexile scored at 1060, AR points: 15. It is called The Victor and the book website is www.thevictorbook.com if you're interested.

message 21: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Marlayne wrote: "Hi Steven! I'm the author of a fantasy/fiction Christian romance your daughter might really like (and you). If you're a home schooler it also comes with a Teacher's guide and has been Lexile scored..."

I will definitely check out your book and save it to my to read list. I was actually looking at an ad for your book the other day and it sounded very interesting. I'm pretty sure it's one my daughter would enjoy as well. Thank you so much for the link as well. I will save it to my favorites.

message 22: by Marlayne (new)

Marlayne Giron (thevictorbook) | 9 comments If you would prefer a personally autographed copy for your daughter let me know.

message 23: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Marlayne wrote: "If you would prefer a personally autographed copy for your daughter let me know."

Wow that would be pretty awesome. I will talk to her about that :o) Where would I purchase the book through? Do you have copies for sale through your site?

message 24: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Marlayne wrote: "If you would prefer a personally autographed copy for your daughter let me know."

Also my daughter asked if you might add her as a friend on here? Her name is Trentina Porter.

message 25: by Marlayne (new)

Marlayne Giron (thevictorbook) | 9 comments I'd be happy to. I'm also on Facebook (purely for book reasons) too.

message 26: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Marlayne wrote: "I'd be happy to. I'm also on Facebook (purely for book reasons) too."

I am on facebook also, so if you'd like you could add me there as well. I do plug a lot of authors' books there. Being such a big reader and getting as excited about what I've read as I do, I really enjoy it.

message 27: by Marlayne (new)

Marlayne Giron (thevictorbook) | 9 comments Hi Steve! Your daughter and I are friends. Just look me up on FB under my name.

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Marlayne wrote: "Hi Steve! Your daughter and I are friends. Just look me up on FB under my name."

I will check you out on Facebook. Cool to hear that you and my daughter have hit it off pretty good. It's good to have someone other than me and her mom telling her to keep at it with the writing. You know how it is, us parents don't know what we're talking about at that age :o)

message 29: by Marlayne (new)

Marlayne Giron (thevictorbook) | 9 comments I get the same (and worse)from mine. I'm public enemy no. 1. Everytime she sees me online it's only seconds before I hear from her!

Not to worry, I am a Harriet Nelson kind of mom, totally G-rated and love God.

message 30: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Marlayne wrote: "I get the same (and worse)from mine. I'm public enemy no. 1. Everytime she sees me online it's only seconds before I hear from her!

Not to worry, I am a Harriet Nelson kind of mom, totally G-rated..."

yep that about sums it up over here too :o)
My daughter usually catches me on here while she's at school. Weird huh remember the days when you went to school to listen to a teacher instead of going online to chit chat...wow what happened there :o)

message 31: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (DiscipleShirley) | 4 comments Vincent wrote: "This folder is for readers and writers of fantasy fiction.

Hello, My name is Shirley Bullock and I am the author of Forever Promised a fantasy romance, with a time travel twist. It is historically accurate and includes a little bit of medical drama. I have a christian book in the works along with the sequel to Forever Promised. Thanks Shirley

message 32: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Shirley wrote: "Vincent wrote: "This folder is for readers and writers of fantasy fiction.

Hello, My name is Shirley Bullock and I am the author of Forever Pr..."

Hey Shirley welcome to the Goodreads board. You book sounds interesting enough. Might be something that my wife and daughter would be interested in. I don't read a lot of romance stuff but I might even check it out. Time travel is an interesting subject. What type of history/time periods are in your book?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, my name is Shawn Lamb, I'm a former children's tv writer turned published author. My first book in YA fantasy series came out in January.

ALLON - The might immortal Guardians of Jor’el once protected Allon. They knew no defeat until rebellion within their ranks and battle drove them away. For five centuries, mortals suffered under the Dark Way, until prophecies of the Promised Prince and return of the Guardians became reality. Still, Ellis must prove he is worthy to be king and gain support of the Council of Twelve if he is to defeat the evil. Not all are favorable and one will betray him, leaving the fate of Allon and Guardians in the balance.

You can check out my website at

htt:p//www.allonbooks.com

and watch the book trailer at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Yc0s...

message 34: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Hey Shawn, I think I enteredto try and win a copy of your book on here. What TV shows have you written for? Just wondering. Your book sounds like a lot of fun.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, Steven. I wrote freelance for the old Filmation show BRAVESTARR. My husband worked for Filmation from 1981-1989 and was a storyboard artist and staff writer for ZORRO, FAT-ALBERT, HE-MAN, SHE-RA, BLACKSTAR, BRAVESTAR, GHOSTBUSTERS.

See if this link to the website works this time. You can read an excerpt.

http://www.allonbooks.com

message 36: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments wow that is one heck of a list. Tell your husband I was one of those kids that got hooked on those He-Man figures way back when. I hope they make a movie based off those guys again. I bought the cartoon pack for those guys. :o)
The other titles and the one you worked on sounds interesting. Are these filmation projects on DVD yet?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, many of them on now in DVD sets. In fact, Robert Lamb, my husband, is featured in interviews on several of the DVD sets. Two of his scripts are in the 10 top favorite He-Man episodes of all time.

He has a website all about his days at Filmation that you can link to from my website on the Family page or Google robertartwriter to find it.

message 38: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments cool thank you for the info I will check it out.

message 39: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments Shawn wrote: "Hey, Steven. I wrote freelance for the old Filmation show BRAVESTARR. My husband worked for Filmation from 1981-1989 and was a storyboard artist and staff writer for ZORRO, FAT-ALBERT, HE-MAN, SHE-..."

hey there Shawn, I busted out the He-Man dvd set this week. As for Funmation, we watch a lot of their anime type dvd's right now. Personally my favorite anime movie right now has got to be the Vampire Hunter D (the newer verion) I think 8 years of work on that one paid off. I like when anime animators and american animators get together on stuff. There is just such a clean an amazing look to everything.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Eight years? Filmation never spent that much time on any of its stuff. LOL. T.V. animation is crank it out fast, find short-cuts, reuse shots with only some attention paid to continuity.

Of course, back then there was a lot of animosity toward overseas animation since it threatened union jobs here. It caused tension between companies that wanted to cut costs by sending work overseas and unions that wanted to protect its members.

What you're seeing now in meshing the two is a result of years of adjustments and changing mindsets.

message 41: by Steven (new)

Steven (TBones) | 408 comments yeah I can definitely see how the business would have worked like that. I don't really know if it was Funmation that did the Vampire Hunter D movie but if you ever get a chance and can find a copy of this movie, it's got a black cover with a blood red symbol on the cover, you should check it out. If you liked the old Hammer Horror films with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing you might like this one.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not into horror or creepy creature films. In fact, I had nightmares as a kid from watching the old Godzilla vs. King Kong. lol

message 43: by David (new)

David Burton (davidhburton) Hi there!

My name is David H. Burton and I write dark fantasy (not for the religiously sensitive). My debut novel is called The Second Coming.

I managed to get some great blurbs for it:

"Beautifully written, dark and eerie vision of an apocalyptic future."
- Margaret Weis, New York Times Bestselling Author

"David H. Burton is a dark new talent in the genre. This one will make you leave the lights on for a week!"
- USA Today Bestseller, Cathy Clamp

I have a book trailer on YouTube and I can be found online at:
http://davidhburton.com

Cheers!
David

message 44: by Pete (new)

Pete Kelly (shadow2683) | 29 comments Hi all my name is Pete and my work Dawn of the shadow is a ebook available now on kindle.

Its a story or origin tale for a hero I created. Click on the link above for more information.

http://dawnoftheshadow.webs.com/
http://dreambooksllc.com/index.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036TH352

message 45: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 21, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) Hello,

My name is Jennifer Allis Provost, and I am the author of Rise of the Deva'shi.

Rise of the Deva'shi: A Chronicle of Parthalan

Latera enjoyed the charmed life of a princess, first born and heir to her father's kingdom. Her idyllic existence changed forever when she was spirited away from her home and became lost in the realm of Faerie.

For six years, she lived in obscurity as a stable girl until Aeolmar, First Hunter of Parthalan, swept her away from her quiet village. He brought her to the court of Asherah, the Faerie Queen, who had struggled to keep demons out of her land for one thousand years. Latera learned to hunt demons, and her ferocity against her many foes earned her the name Demon-killer, along with the First Hunter’s unwavering devotion.

Thrust into a war between the fae who became her family and marauding demon hordes, will she find the courage to meet her destiny?

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting. I read the description several times and can't tell from it what is her destiny? To save the Faeries? Return to the home she was taken originally from? (since she was swept away twice.) To stop the demons?

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) Shawn wrote: "Interesting. I read the description several times and can't tell from it what is her destiny? To save the Faeries? Return to the home she was taken originally from? (since she was swept away twice...."

To stop the demons. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll work on making it flow a little better.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome. :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

My name is Malika Bourne. I co-authored The Secrets of the Unwritten Book:the Fate of a Planet, with my best friend, Grase Rose. I classify it as paranormal/ fantasy. I hope this it fits.

My synopis is...
Two strangers, predestined to rendezvous in time, sit alone in a coffee shop.
One has the angelic assignment to find someone with a golden heart that she is to mentor. She has been on this quest for tweny years and is about to give up.
Anna has the angelic asignment to find 'amazing grace'. Her health is rapidly deteriorating and she can not take one more step.Time is running out.
Neither women is aware they both are major queens from the angelic realm. Nor do they know they have been fighting an unseen war between light and darkness as humanoid machines in a sleep state.

They must find each other and be awakened to the facts that their entire lives had been a clollection of notes about the universe. Every chapter of their lives were actually carefully monitored pieces of a masterfully woven tapestry puzzle written inside of a magical book that existed for eons. Grace and Anna must discover they are characters of the book and they are to re-write it in order to expose secrets of the knowledge that will lead back to their home planet.

They get help from light beings, some are angels who monitor their every move.

You will be experiencing a myriad of emotions as you travel back and forth within the dimensions of the universe. You will find yourself lost within the pages of detailed descriptions that will stimulate all of your senses. The character's will come alive in your mind's eye and you will wonder, "What is fact or merely imaginative fiction?" Malika

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) Sounds intriguing!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 31 32