Harry Potter discussion

Characters > Ron and Hermione or Harry and Hermione?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Eventhough in the 7th book Ron and Hermione's relationship is very evident, I always thought that Harry and Hermione would end up together and seemed more like a cuter couple. Brains and Bravery..lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting Ron. He's a great and loyal person. But it just never seemed right to me.

What do you think?

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Rachel oh no way, harry and hermione are too similar, they would have the most serious household. ron brings out such a fun side of hermione, and she is able to tone him down a bit and make a "sort of" gentleman out of him. besides, i always loved harry and ginny together and was so happy when rowling finally put them together.

message 3: by Tam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Tam (lightinthesky) | 2 comments I liked Harry and Hermione too before Ginny came into the picture, but since then I've become a solid Harry and Ginny fan... I think too that it's good that it's Ron and Hermione coz since Harry is the main character or the hero in the story, I think Ron's character would be too left out should Harry and Hermione end up together... I think Harry could survive better as the 3rd wheel in the trio than Ron could, after all Harry has too much going on anyways...

message 4: by Sfdreams (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Sfdreams | 4 comments I agree with Rachel. I am so happy at the way things turned out!

Harry and Hermione were just "buds", more of a brother-sister feeling. Ron is much more suited to Hermione than Harry is.

I would like to hear more of Harry&Ginny and Hermione&Ron as parents. I hope JK Rowling follows up with more Hogwarts/Wizarding stories!

message 5: by Leah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Leah i have to say, i always loved the thought of Hermione and Ron. they seemed to work better together than harry and her. ron and she had such an open relationship. if there was some kind of disapproval, neither had to mince words. they could tell it like it is. i LOVED it!

message 6: by Jayme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Jayme | 13 comments I liked Ron and Hermione all along. Probably because I was always pulling for Harry and Ginny. I think that they just work better together.

message 7: by Sarah Anne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Sarah Anne (sarahaf712) | 38 comments Why couldn't it be Harry and me? Lol, j/k. I like the way things turned out. Ron and Hermione are so gosh darned cute!

message 8: by T.K. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

T.K. Kenyon | 7 comments I was a diehard H/Hr shipper for years, and when I got to the part in DH where Ron flounced off into the woods because it was too hard, I thought, "this is it!"

However, Harry met Hermione when he needed a family more than he needed romantic love. He bonded with her as family, not lover. It is more appropriate that the did not end up together.

JKR is a big Austen fan, and even to us Janeites, the ending of Mansfield Park, where the first cousins (who were raised as bro/sis in the same house) get married, is a little icky. Jane does mention in MP that there is a bond that sibs share, the shared, formative childhood, that is deeper than even that of lovers.

TK Kenyon
Author of RABID: A Novel
"Impressive medical thriller" --PW

Rabid incluces several entirely gratuitous postmoderny HP refs, even a H/Hr one.

message 9: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Cindy (supercin721) | 26 comments I wanted Harry and Hermione together early on too! It just seemed so obvious but then Rowling added in all those bits of adolescent tension and it looked like it could go nowhere but with Ron and Hermione. Besides, as someone else alluded to, Harry was the hero and, as it was, he had to leave Ginny behind. Sometimes, people are just great platonic friends and that was the case with Harry and Hermione.

message 10: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I always thought that Ron and Hermione would end up together. Hermione just seemed to much of a sister figure to Harry, while Ron was not. I agree with T's family piont. Ginny was perfect for Harry though. He fell in love with her when he was having a very diffucult time. He needed that support.

message 11: by Angelina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Angelina I couldn't agree more. It's just perfect the way it is, it feels right.

message 12: by Stella (new)

Stella (beautifulmeanings) | 115 comments Ron/Hermione: They have arguments, but they always make up. They are friends, which of course helps with a successful relationship. And they often argue about each others relationship. Plus, they look cute together on fan art.

Harry/Hermione do understand each other well, but they are good platonic friends.

message 13: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stargaryen | 120 comments Harry and Hermione. As being there for each other is more romantic than constant bickering.

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Shields (CarolynShields) | 10 comments Ron and Hermione. Ron needs someone smart, Hermione needs someone who's not always serious. Hermione would also be good with one of the twins, but Ron is a more prominent figure. Also, if Harry and Hermione got together, what would become of Ginny and Ron? With Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny, the trio is connected not just by friendship, but also by family, whereas with Harry/Hermione and Ron/? and Ginny/? they are less connected. I also just love Ginny so maybe that's part of it. ;)

message 15: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stargaryen | 120 comments Carolyn wrote: "Also, if Harry and Hermione got together, what would become of Ginny and Ron?"

I see this 'reason' so often and find it such poor thinking. As if Harry and Hermione have to be given to Ginny and Ron automatically as some 'prize'. Come on, Luna also married someone who wasn't in the books.

message 16: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Shields (CarolynShields) | 10 comments Anthony wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Also, if Harry and Hermione got together, what would become of Ginny and Ron?"

I see this 'reason' so often and find it such poor thinking. As if Harry and Hermione have to be give..."

What I meant was, the trio would be less connected.

message 17: by Brandi (new)

Brandi | 7 comments For the first few books I was rooting for Harry and Hermione all the way, but as things progressed I realized how much Ron actually needed Hermione. And I suppose how much Hermione needed Ron. I ended up quite likely the best friend dynamic Harry and Hermione had going on.

message 18: by Donut (new)

Donut 21 | 7 comments Ron and Hermione because it is Harry and Ginny are together

message 19: by antique (new)

antique ana (anticanaaa) | 8 comments I more like Harry/Hermione ship

message 20: by Abi (new)

Abi | 3 comments Definitely Ron and Hermione; I'm re-reading the series at the moment and for me Ron and Hermione are the obvious match from the beginning; there's a lot of time they spend together away from Harry and I feel we are seeing Harry's views of everything. The relationship between Ron and Hermione is very realistic and they compliment each other so well; opposites really do attract. Also I think the platonic relationship between Harry and Hermione is so special and I love that it stayed that way. On another re-reading I am also more convinced with the Ginny pairing than I was when I first read the books. I agree with the earlier comment about Austen and Mansfield Park; brother sister dynamic does not always work when you romantically pair. I'm loving re reading the series and getting further insight into the relationships :)

message 21: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK Ron and Hermione!!!! No doubt...

message 22: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 24 comments Ron and Hermione, definitely! Harry and Hermione have a beautiful, platonic friendship throughout the series. Ron and Hermione were always going to end up together- which is hinted at from the very beginning. The phrase opposites attract works for those two.

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin | 3 comments Ron and Hermione, Harry and Hermione have more of an brotherly sisterly affection definitely not a romantic one.

message 24: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (eggy18) | 7 comments I don't think Hermione suits either Ron or Harry. She would've better suited with one of the Weasley twins.

message 25: by Liam (new)

Liam Lenny, J.K. Rowling was originally going to pair Fred and Hermione, and I totally agree!!! They seem perfect! Ron should have eternally remained a bachelor, Harry should have married Luna, and Neville and Ginny together!

the Artful Dodger ~{I'll sing a song to you my friend}~ I think Neville and Luna ought to be together, and Harry and Hermione is really cute; Lee and Angelina.

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan | 50 comments Harry and Hermione! But i like the idea of Hermione with Fred or George.

message 28: by purplebookworm (new)

purplebookworm (puplebookworm) I agree

Lexi | Booklover101 ♡ Ron and Hermione!!!! They are perfect :)

message 30: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (Bookishbrooklyn) | 833 comments Agreed :) <3

message 31: by Matt (new)

Matt Wells | 32 comments Ángela wrote: "Dramione forever"

Yes!

message 32: by Zinilili (new)

Zinilili | 13 comments Ron/Hermione and Ginny/Harry

message 33: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Harry and Hermione