Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > here's the search i want

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Rob | 2 comments most of my real friends actually have quite different tastes than i do. that's why i like them! so knowing what books they like is not always so useful.

at present, i look through all the people who gave 5 stars to ONE book i love, and compare books with each one, one at a time.

what i want is to be able to say, "find me all the people who give 4 or 5 stars to the following 3 or 4 books." this should quickly find me a few strangers with great "compare" scores. and it seems like a fairly simple search to code.

message 2: by Grumpus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Grumpus | 49 comments Yes, this is how I look for friends and have found several that way and have since led me to some good reads I never would have found otherwise.

message 3: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
This is a great idea! Thanks!

message 4: by Bsongstad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Bsongstad | 2 comments I would love that type of search too. Sort of a netflix model for rate books and then find other users who have similar tastes. Then you could add them to your friends list or not.

A very useful twist on this is to be able to find users who both liked what you liked and DISliked what you disliked. Loads of people like the same best sellers as you liked, but few liked most of them but loathed some too. It is those who dislike what you disliked while liking what you liked that are your best matches.