Of Love and Other Demons Of Love and Other Demons discussion

I love him

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samyuktha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samyuktha pc I love his writing. So, when I got a chance to study his novels I quickly grabbed the opportunity. However, I would now love to hear other's views and thoughts on this book to deepen my study. You shall be acknowledged for every brilliant insight new to me.

message 2: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan I just finished the book and, I am shaken by the sadness and depravity of the ending. I am definitely going to go back and read some of the passages over again,,,, I was especially taken with the character of the mother, who doesn't die despite her addictions, illness and debauchery, and the prophesy of the doctor who is famous for predicting the exact date of his patient's deaths.

Having been raised in a pretty Orthodox Catholic family, I could easily relate to the story and the tragedy of the characters.

This was very easy too read for me in English. I wonder what it would be like in Spanish?

Safae i love him too ... gosh he hes such a different way of writing it is exquisite ! even though i didn't really like the story i couldn't stop reading because of his writing style he is a genius !

Emily Iliani I must agree that GGM's flair of writing is phenomenal but I must say this is particular novel failed me; I had fallen head-over-heel for his Death Foretold but some of his other writings really need some chewing before you could get to the sweetness.

Safae i fall for his death too and you are right some of his novels are not great right from the beginning but somehow something keeps us reading them don't you think?

Emily Iliani True enough; although after a marathon of GGM I gave up on General's.

I think Isabel Allende is a feminine counterpart of GGM.

Safae I don't know her but thank you , i really needed another name because GGM's books weren't enough for me and i wanted someone else with same style of writings ^^ thnx

Emily Iliani Safaeita wrote: "I don't know her but thank you , i really needed another name because GGM's books weren't enough for me and i wanted someone else with same style of writings ^^ thnx"

No biggie; if you liked One Hundred Years of Solitude, then try Allende's House of Spirit. But my fave of hers is still Eva Luna. Enjoy the reading!

Safae thanks again but i haven't read One Hundred Years Of Solitude yet because it is kind of tall and i have a goal of reaching a certain number of books and i'm way behind so i only read short stories

Emily Iliani Safaeita wrote: "thanks again but i haven't read One Hundred Years Of Solitude yet because it is kind of tall and i have a goal of reaching a certain number of books and i'm way behind so i only read short stories"

Do you read Ian McEwan? His writing makes a good fast reading. Just a suggestion.

Safae I don't but thank you..i'm kind of busy those days i have exams but as soon as i'll finish them i'll try Isabel Allende and Ian McEwan ^^ i only hope i'll find the pdf version of them because almost none of the books i search for are available in my city's libraries

Vipin Goyal I like all his books and this one is no exception.You feel pity for girl and get a chance to see love and death in new dimensions.

message 13: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne I read "The Dark Night of the Soul" by St. John of the Cross and found: "At times the enkindling of love in the spirit grows greater and greater and the yearnings for God become so great in the soul that the person's very bones seem to be dried up by this thirst and the natural powers seem to be fading away," and I found that I finally knew what "Of Love and Other Demons" was about. This is why the girl's hair kept growing beyond death.