Read Aloud Books discussion

Do you have discussions during read-aloud?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Kimmal | 9 comments Mod
I do read aloud right after lunch. I usually just read from the novel. Every once in a while I will ask a question or point something out. Even though I have high readers I think they need to hear the words and enjoy the book. I have been told that the kids are missing a great opportunity to increase their strategies. Is it wrong to just enjoy a book for 15-20 minutes a day?

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments I have discussions, but only as an aside to the book. I am N-O-T Not (Clementine reference...) trying to teach any strategies. Just reading for the pure pleasure of reading. Although I do think that it is a great way to increase vocabulary. I try to always read about one grade level higher and talk about vocabulary as it comes about.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (cookiebrains) | 7 comments i try to make the "talk" as natural as possible and only every few pages, or so, like i might really pause and think if i were reading the book to myself. stretch and think kinda pauses. the ending of where the red fern grows will be this week. good timing.