You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > December book nominations ~ Christmas

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2009 11:30AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Two themes this month and here is where you can nominate those Christmas books!

If you lead last month then it is up to you whether or not you choose to nominate this month.

Please can you give me all of the following:

The title, the author

Brief description of the book

**If you nominate a book I assume that you are willing to lead the discussion. It's not hard to do I promise!**

IF YOU DON'T GIVE ME A DESCRIPTION OF THE BOOK I WON'T ACCEPT YOUR NOMINATION

One nomination per person please. Thank you!

You have 2 days to nominate!

message 2: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) I'm plumping for the classic - [Author: Charles Dickens] book [Book: A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Books] - I'd prefer the Oxford World Classics version as it contains [Book: The Chimes], [Book: The Cricket on the Hearth], [Book: The Battle of Life] and [Book: The Haunted Man].

The description from Amazon reads:

'What was merry Christmas to Scrooge? Out upon merry Christmas! What good had it ever done to him?' Ebenezer Scrooge is a bad-tempered skinflint who hates Christmas and all it stands for, but a ghostly visitor foretells three apparitions who will thaw Scrooge's frozen heart. A Christmas Carol has gripped the public imagination since it was first published in 1843, and it is now as much a part of Christmas as mistletoe or plum pudding. This edition reprints the story alongside Dickens's four other Christmas Books: The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life, and The Haunted Man. All five stories show Dickens at his unpredictable best, jumbling together comedy and melodrama, genial romance and urgent social satire, in pursuit of his aim 'to awaken some loving and forbearing thoughts, never out of season in a Christian land'.

Thank you.

Ally

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo I am Scrooge A Zombie Story for Christmas by Adam Roberts .

Its kind of the same idea of the other classics with added monsters. This one is A Christmas Carol with zombies. I though it would be nice to read because it is a new version of a popular classics and of course it is christmassy for december.

message 4: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Hi Jennie, our theme this month is Christmas and I'm assuming that ones not a christmas book :P

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo (Jo_Wales) | 62 comments I fancy a good Classic and Charles Dickens would really fit the bill! So Christmas Carol for me too!

message 6: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) There aren't that many nominations here yet - I know I'm only allowed to nominate one but if others out there wanted to nominate more they could have a look at say...

[Book: The Stupidest Angel] by [Author: Christopher Moore]

[Book: Skipping Christmas] by [Author: John Grisham]

[Book: A Redbird Christmas] by [Author: Fannie Flagg]

we need to merry up our christmas with some good reading!!!

Ally

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Adam Roberts (other topics)