Literature & Film discussion

Winged Creatures: Q&A w/screenwriter Roy Freirich

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimley (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
Roy Freirich is a new member of our group and he's recently adapted his novel Winged Creatures to film. He's offered to do a Q&A on the trials and tribulations of adapting book to film.

The film stars Forest Whitaker, Jennifer Hudson, Kate Beckinsale, Dakota Fanning and Guy Pearce and will be out this year.

Here's more info on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948547/

“This well-crafted debut packs a wallop.”
--Booklist

“The survivors of a gun massacre struggle with the aftermath in Freirich's stark, impressive debut.
--Publisher’s Weekly

“A riveting debut novel about the aftermath of a mass shooting in a fast food restaurant.... A sure-fire page-turner and, without question, has great movie written all over it, vividly reminiscent of Atom Egoyan's great The Sweet Hereafter."
--Rex Pickett, author of Sideways

I'll let Roy introduce himself and I hope you all enjoy the Q&A!

message 2: by Roy (new)

Roy | 3 comments Hello,

I am curious about your group, and am glad to join in.

I'm just recovering from adapting my novel into a screenplay, and then watching the screenplay itself get "adapted" into a film.

I remind myself it's a great problem to have, though I wonder that any original intention survives the process.

It seems to me that so many of the changes from book to screen are really due to exigencies of budget and schedule and even actors going off script to enable their process, and not so often the result of considered judgement in the service of overall drama or narrative, at all.

I'd be happy to hear about anyone else's experiences or observations on adapting one's own work, or reply to any questions about my own.

Looking forward,

Roy