The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.6 (THE SEASON OF GIFTING & GIVING)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 58) (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Dec 03, 2009 06:57AM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments THE SEASON OF GIFTING & GIVING
A. Read A Book That Relates To Best Gift You've Ever Been Given (It Doesn't Have To Have Been A Holiday Present). Please State Who Gave You The Gift & Why It's Your Favorite Gift When Claiming Points For This Task)
AND
B. This Is Also The Season For Giving Back - You Can Spend Some Time Volunteering Or Donate Money/Clothing/Food To A Local Charity. Post How You Gave Back When Claiming Points For This Task.

If you need suggestions for books to read for this task post a request here.

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments I need a book set in or about Paris - help!

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Oh wow - thanks PJ :) All great suggestions - I've read a few - but I love Joanne Harris and had no idea she'd written one set in Paris!

message 5: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Nicki wrote: "I need a book set in or about Paris - help!"

Sarah's Key-- Quite a bit of this book is set in Paris.

Also the trilogy about Josephine Bonaparte by Sandra Gulland are set for the most part in Paris.
The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.
Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe
The Last Great Dance on Earth

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Nicki wrote: "Oh wow - thanks PJ :) All great suggestions - I've read a few - but I love Joanne Harris and had no idea she'd written one set in Paris!

"
The Girl With No Shadow is her sequel to Chocolat - it was pretty good although Chocolat was one of those books where I preferred the film to the book.

message 7: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristac) | 50 comments I need a good book about dogs. Not Old Yeller, Where the red fern grows, Marley and me or the the dogs who found me...any sugestions?

message 8: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Cynthia wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Oh wow - thanks PJ :) All great suggestions - I've read a few - but I love Joanne Harris and had no idea she'd written one set in Paris!

"The Girl With No Shadow is her sequel to Cho..."

I really enjoyed the book, but the film has Johnny Depp in it... :D

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 14262 comments Mod
Krista wrote: "I need a good book about dogs. Not Old Yeller, Where the red fern grows, Marley and me or the the dogs who found me...any sugestions?"

How about
Because of Winn-Dixie
The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories
Dog on It A Chet and Bernie Mystery
What the Dog Did Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments My in-laws let me live with them for 4 years (before they were my in-laws) while I was in graduate school, it was sooooooo helpful.

Are there any books related to that sort of thing?

message 11: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristac) | 50 comments Dlmrose wrote:
How about
[book:Because of Winn-Dixie|3576..."

Thank you Dimrose! I chose What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner.

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Michelle wrote: "My in-laws let me live with them for 4 years (before they were my in-laws) while I was in graduate school, it was sooooooo helpful.

Are there any books related to that sort of thing?"

Not the exact situation but the living with in-laws part at least...

The Sweetest Dream
Hello to the Cannibals A Novel
The Crazed - kind of a reverse situation (the graduate student helps the future in-law)

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Cynthia wrote: "Michelle wrote: "My in-laws let me live with them for 4 years (before they were my in-laws) while I was in graduate school, it was sooooooo helpful.

Are there any books related to that sort of thi..."

Thanks!

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 605 comments Krista wrote: "I need a good book about dogs. Not Old Yeller, Where the red fern grows, Marley and me or the the dogs who found me...any sugestions?"

I'd suggest The Art of Racing in the Rain and The Dogs of Babel. Enjoy.

message 16: by Jessy (new)

Jessy (JessyCFischer) The best gift I ever received was my liver. I had to have an organ transplant so I received the gift of life.
Does anyone know any books that involve organ donation?

message 17: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Jessy wrote: "The best gift I ever received was my liver. I had to have an organ transplant so I received the gift of life.
Does anyone know any books that involve organ donation?"

My Sister's Keeper

message 18: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jody Picoult's Change of Heart

message 19: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Jessy wrote: "The best gift I ever received was my liver. I had to have an organ transplant so I received the gift of life.
Does anyone know any books that involve organ donation?"

As If Love Were Enough
Recycled A General Jack Hospital Mystery
Sudden Impact
Fourth Procedure
Death's Door
Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Deadly Harvest

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Would you accept Jesus as being the best gift I've received? I was hoping to read The Jesus I Never Knew for this task.

message 21: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I think being able to read and the love of reading is one of the best gifts I've been given, by my Mom...does taht count?

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Cindy wrote: "I think being able to read and the love of reading is one of the best gifts I've been given, by my Mom...does taht count?"

Sure

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna (gqannanguyen) | 66 comments I need a good book about dolls, I am considering the doll people series but I would like a wider range of options. So help?

message 24: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Wonder if a Pinnochio themed novel would work? But that is a puppet. Hm.

You could try this link that has a list of books about dolls.
http://www.dollkind.com/books-about-d...
Little Women is on that list.

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Maxi wrote: "I need a good book about dolls, I am considering the doll people series but I would like a wider range of options. So help? "

Deb Baker - Dolls to die for mysteries
Starts with Dolled Up For Murder

The Angel Doll A Christmas Story

The Oracle Doll

The Museum of Mary Child

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments My father introduced me to sci-fi/fantasy through the movies we watched and a few books. Could I for this task, read a sci-fi or fantasy novel?

Cause I am bit stumped on a good gift. I usually go halfies on stuff or buy myself.

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Tanja wrote: "My father introduced me to sci-fi/fantasy through the movies we watched and a few books. Could I for this task, read a sci-fi or fantasy novel?

Cause I am bit stumped on a good gift. I usually g..."

If you consider that a gift yes.

message 28: by Bluemoon (last edited Nov 30, 2009 01:59PM) (new)

Bluemoon (Bluemoon286) | 1467 comments Maxi wrote: "I need a good book about dolls, I am considering the doll people series but I would like a wider range of options. So help? "

Phoebe is a nice story about a doll.

message 29: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Maxi wrote: "I need a good book about dolls, I am considering the doll people series but I would like a wider range of options. So help? "

The Dollmaker is an intense, well-written book about coping with war-induced upheaval & poverty.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy The most wonderful gift I've ever received is a box that my grandmother gave me just before she passed away. It's a keepsake box of sorts.

Would The Tin Box by Holly Kennedywork for this task?

message 31: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Amy wrote: "The most wonderful gift I've ever received is a box that my grandmother gave me just before she passed away. It's a keepsake box of sorts.

Would The Tin Box by Holly Kennedywork for this task?"

sure

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy Thanks, Cynthia! Now to see if I can find the book anywhere. My library doesn't have it :(

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Can the gift be part of the title? My gift is a doll house, so I read A Doll's House and Other Plays, but the book itself isn't actually about a literal dollhouse but rather a figurative one. Is that acceptable?

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Diane wrote: "Can the gift be part of the title? My gift is a doll house, so I read A Doll's House and Other Plays, but the book itself isn't actually about a literal dollhouse but rather a figurat..."

yes

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2679 comments I need suggestions. My favorite gift is an ipod nano. What book would go with that?

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) What about a book about music? High Fidelity maybe....

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 771 comments Is it possible to read something where the book itself is the gift? Last Christmas my mom enrolled me in a book club that sends me signed first editions, which is one of my favorite gifts because we now get to share the book-collecting hobby. I was thinking about using one of the books I received through this - will that work, or should I look for a book about books/book collecting instead?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2679 comments Sara☺ wrote: "What about a book about music? High Fidelity maybe...."

I thought about Music but that is such a broad subject should I concentrate on a specific type of music?

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Jayme wrote: "Sara☺ wrote: "What about a book about music? High Fidelity maybe...."

I thought about Music but that is such a broad subject should I concentrate on a specific type of music?
"

Cynthia would need to give you a final say, but I would think you would have some range. I know my ipod is full of all types of music. Good luck!

message 40: by Usako (last edited Dec 08, 2009 05:58AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Jayme, there's The Song Is You A Novel which is written kinda like a playlist. The main character's ipod is featured extensively. You may want to read the reviews to see if it's your type of book. I will admit it was different from my usual books.

My review:
Ever juice up your iPod and hit the shuffle? That's how this novel reads, according to many members of my book club. Nearly every word thrives on music. You'll be drawn onto a journey, expanding your playlist (esp if you haven't heard some of the artists) and questioning this "case study of a man having a midlife crisis". To cope with a painful past and his ever drifting present, the protagonist reaches out to an Irish musician to find some meaning or answer - that life-altering moment which his father got to experience with Billie Holiday.

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Tanja wrote: "Jayme, there's The Song Is You A Novel which is written kinda like a playlist. The main character's ipod is featured extensively. You may want to read the reviews to see if it's you..."

That book sounds great Tanja! I just added it to my TBR, thanks!

message 42: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Fair warning, you may be using youtube to listen to some of the songs!

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Jayme wrote: "I need suggestions. My favorite gift is an ipod nano. What book would go with that?"

Here are a couple different ideas...
Options The Secret Life of Steve Jobs, a Parody - being that the Ipod is an apple product.

If you like YA
Punkzilla - about an ipod thief
Deadville - boy compulsively listens to an ipod after sister's death

If you want to go the music route - maybe something related to the first song you downloaded on to the ipod.

Jessica wrote: "Is it possible to read something where the book itself is the gift? Last Christmas my mom enrolled me in a book club that sends me signed first editions, which is one of my favorite gifts because ..."
Either one.

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Jessica wrote: "Is it possible to read something where the book itself is the gift? Last Christmas my mom enrolled me in a book club that sends me signed first editions, which is one of my favorite gifts because ..."

Jessica, what book club is this? I am always looking for unique ideas to give people who are hard to buy for.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2679 comments I think I will do : The Song Is For You.

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 771 comments Sara, she got it for me through The Poisoned Pen, which is a mystery bookstore in Phoenix. They offer several clubs for collectors that are mostly mystery, but they do a couple that aren't exclusively (Modern Firsts and Surprise Me! are the two that come to mind). I also learned recently that Powell's does a similar sort of thing with Indiespensible, which selects quirky new books and usually includes some bonus items in each shipment. I'm tempted to ask for this for myself this year!

message 47: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (BarbaraVA) Cynthia wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I think being able to read and the love of reading is one of the best gifts I've been given, by my Mom...does taht count?"

Sure"

Thanks, I had that same idea!

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Jessica wrote: "Sara, she got it for me through The Poisoned Pen, which is a mystery bookstore in Phoenix. They offer several clubs for collectors that are mostly mystery, but they do a couple that aren't exclusi..."

Awesome, thanks Jessica!!

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky | 3 comments Patricia wrote: "Krista wrote: "I need a good book about dogs. Not Old Yeller, Where the red fern grows, Marley and me or the the dogs who found me...any sugestions?"

I'd suggest [book:The Art of Racing in the ..."

Change of Heart- Jodi Picoult

message 50: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Okay, so I've been having a REALLY hard time figuring out what my favorite gift is, but I'm thinking it's LIFE. The gift of life. I was thinking about reading Way to Be! 9 Rules For Living the Good Life... Would that work?

« previous 1