Language & Grammar discussion

Streams of Consciousness > Deb's Daze(d and Confused)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,220 (1220 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

message 1: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6387 comments Mod
To post or not to post....that is the question! How much should one reveal on the open net? Aren't thoughts meant to be private? Not sure if this is a facility that I will use often...I like to to talk to family or friends face to face...not 'soliloquise' (any such word?) to the ether!

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
Well, it's not like this has to be personal. You use it to wax (or wane) eloquent about everyday stuff like books and all. For instance, why not a stream of consciousness (SOC) on Joy What's-her-name, your favorite YA writer? Or on the view from your window? Or on your favorite nature spots in New Zealand? These are all things that I'd be interested in reading yet wouldn't be personally revealing in the least (you can save that for family or friends, face to face).

message 3: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Very true NE. I like the name of your thread, by the way....

message 4: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

On the side of this page (where the ads are) is one that says "Want to Quit your Job? Quit your job in 90 days Make $3-5k per week. See How. www.GetUFree.com.
I won't even click on it...I have a feeling that the only one making that much money is the advertiser. But there are suckers born every minute, so they say. I wonder how many of them have clicked on the next ad - www.FatLoss4Idiots.com, which promises you 10 rules for losing 9 lbs every 11 days.
Just wondered....can anyone that dumb operate a computer anyhow?

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
P.T. Barnum would say (after careful consideration), "Yes!"

This way to the egress (as the old story goes)....

message 6: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Streams of consciousness is just about wondering things really.......on all sorts of different levels. I wonder if I will get time to finish my reports this weekend. I wonder how my great-grandmother died in the Wahine Disaster...did she drown, die of hypothermia or get dashed to bits on the rocks at Pencarrow? (40th Anniversary today brought that one on!)I wonder if our family would have been more cohesive if Dad hadn't died 20 years ago? I wonder if my son is really as settled in Australia as he said he was last time we spoke? I wonder if we would all get on in real time? I wonder......? How marvellous our minds are...to subconsciously sieve, sort and organise all our wonders, deal with knowledge input and output as well as keep our body functions ticking over while we are consciously dealing with only one or two thoughts or tasks at a time.
Enough mental introspection......I think I need to get out more!!

message 7: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

NE's post about 'the best virtual friends a guy could have' got me thinking (and wondering AGAIN!!). I thought 'virtual' in relation to the internet meant 'pretend' or 'ersatz'. I am not a 'virtual' friend....I am real. We all are. We are not figments of each others imaginations...we all exist in our own corners of the earth. We all have full and busy lives too, but we are all obviously missing one component (friends who delight in the use of words) and this is where we find it....I suspect that NE, Donna, Ruth, Prabha and Maureen would be my 'real-time friends' too if we all lived within cooee of each other!

message 8: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Spot on Donna!

message 9: by Ken (last edited Apr 14, 2008 01:11PM) (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
Checks self. Yep. Real. But to you I'm just letters making words making sentences making paragraphs. And, as when you read a book, you've built a virtual composite image (not real) of me. We don't HAVE to do that with you, Debs, because you're brave enough to put your pic on the Net.

Unless... unLESS that's not really YOU! (Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha... another conspiracy theory is hatched.)

message 10: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

'Tis me! I guarantee! I will put up another one now...taken on school camp late last year.
I don't have an image of you NE...unless you want me to think of you as a big moon! And I want to add one thing to your sequence of events....you are a MIND making words, making sentences etc! Your mind is, I presume, real....not virtual! Like Donna said...the spirits are real....the surroundings we can manipulate to our hearts content....see the kitchen thread!

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
OK, I give up. My wife always says, "Get real!" too...

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
Cool new pic! Only what does the hand signal mean? Is it a Kiwi Gang thing? I visited your web site, too. You ARE an open book. Very nice chilluns you have there. I wish MY son would take off for Australia. Grown up kid but can't seem to shake him. Share your secrets.

message 13: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Yeah....Kiwi gang thing....borrowed from the Bronx I believe! The kids all bought these 'gangsta' hats and wated me to pose wearing one and doing the appropriate gesture...so what the hell!! Easy....son's friends moved to Oz....so he did too!
And open book? Only as much as I choose to be!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

which comes back to the real or virtual thing
we expose or withold bits of our choosing
however i think the words as we type are pretty revealing
still even real friends only know parts of us never the totality
for me ne is "special" because he calls up memories of home for me and being familiar with the "new england type" i think i "know" somethings about him
even the name and the image tell me somethings
love of place and love of nature
others become fixed and are again "special" for reasons of my own mixed with bits that are revealed in their writing or pictures
Prabha is my first and only friend in Malaysia and has expanded my concepts of that place
deb you are "special" to me for your unerring forthrightness and cheerfulness and i now imagine kiwi's to be of your "type"
i would like to think we would be friends "in person" because we are here
however...
i don't surround myself with friends
never have
i'm actually probably more social and more "likable" online than i am in person
the limits here are clearly defined by an activity we all enjoy as you mentioned so we are already sort of self selected to be friends
like richard i've reduced my forums to those that are positive and people who are positive
again some self selection going on
anyway...good post-interesting
the sentiment ne expressed made me feel appreciated and the virtual nature made it none the less a friend exchange
i.e. we like n.e. and empathized with him
that was neat
he appreciated and reciprocated
neat again

message 15: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

You are so right. I don't 'surround' myself either....I have one or three close friends, two of whom live overseas. The rest are all acquaintances or colleagues or neighbours. Friendship is about communication...not living next-door. Some people are easier to communicate with on an intellectual level....you take them where you can find them! I found some good ones here.....all special because they make me smile and (sometimes) think! And thankyou Maureen (may I call you Mo?....sorry....mo?) for the compliment.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

certainly, however, do spell it moe
i miss the e for some reason
you're welcome for the compliment
love the crazy new pic by the way
i didn't recognize you at first but then read your post and said wait a minute...isn't this
well yes, yes it tis our debbie
oddly apropos of the conversation, i knew you by your words

message 17: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

It's a bit like knowing someone by their voice!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

yes
and word choice, sentence structure etc. speak about the person
and of course we do reveal pieces of our lives to each other

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
Sob. I don't have any friends, either. Um. Except my wife. And the dog. But they're on the payrolls.

message 20: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Oh stop being such a saddo!! You KNOW we like you!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

yes and if you would stop standing on your roof in your ratty old bathrobe pontificating on prepositions, adverbs, and grammar rules to the passers by you might have a few friends

message 22: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....(o help!!)

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
But I don't own a bathrobe (and could never use it, anyway, as my first duty when I arise is to tether the dog and walk him a mile).

message 24: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

No bathrobe?!! Too much information!!!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

An old jogging suit perhaps?

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
Sorry, I just up and dress in the morning. (And that's NOT "TMI," Debbie... it could mean any of a number of things.)

message 27: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Sorry NE....but the mental image of a man of indeterminate age standing on the roof pontificating about prepositions WITHOUT a bathrobe on just popped into my head!!

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
Oh. The roof. That's a place I avoid because people look a little peaked after they tumble off.

So I leave roofs to S. Claus. And flying reindeer. And crows afflicted with shingles...

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

So, NE . . . you say you're not slated to be on a roof anytime soon? Don't worry, next time we won't take it for granite that you will be.

This place can truly be a laugh a minute :)

message 30: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Oh my god!! There's two of you! You should have a night out on the tiles together......

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 15, 2008 06:58PM) (new)

Sorry for invading your space so, Debbie. But the door was wide open . . . Would you like to join us or will you chase me out on a rail?

message 32: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Space invaders are just fine! I live by the rule...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Anyway...I gave up chasing games years ago!!

message 33: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

I love the way you guys roll up according to time zones (a novelty for those of whose countries only have one)! Donna is usually up first, then Sarah rolls up...followed by Maureen and then NE last of all....except for Ruth who must be a morning person...I think all the rest of you are signed in at the end of your day? I cheat...before school, lunchtime and about 9pm are my usual times to have a look-see!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I've noticed this too! I tend to check throughout the day. I'll pop in and see if there's anything new . . . read a few comments here and there. Oh-- I just realized, there are some advantages to being a teacher!

message 35: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

You got it!!

message 36: by Ruth (last edited Apr 16, 2008 04:46PM) (new)

Ruth | 15792 comments Mod
You may have thing bass ackwards, Debbie. By time zones NE should be ahead of us all, since he's onthe east coast on Eastern Time. My morning here on the west coast comes 3 hours after NE's.

I come here first thing in my morning, because I can't eat breakfast for an hour after my damnpill, but that's usually betwee 7:30 and 8:30 Pacific Time

R

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
If I have time (and the dog doesn't take his time sniffing every blessed blade of grass and twig of wood in the neighborhood before dousing it), I check in early a.m. Eastern Daylight Savings & Loan Time. I never access this site from a school computer. Big Brother is alive and well at schools (and we have copies of 1984 as well). Then I check in during the early evening. By 9 p.m. Eastern, I'm pretty much wasted and reading in bed. Then it's rinse, lather, repeat at 4:30 a.m. the next morn...

New England States entries are done on Saturdays, when time is less of an issue. This coming week, however, will be the exception.

message 38: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

You are right Ruth...he is ahead of all of you, but not me. As I write now....it is Thursday 17th April 12.35 pm (lunchtime). In LA it is Wed 16th 5.35pm, Houston is Wed 7.35pm and Boston is Wednesday 8.35pm.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Your lunch time (the next day) is my dinner time :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

yah i like the time zone spacing as well
i check in the evening anywhere from 6:00ish to 11:00 ish depending on books, tv or people about
and lately early morning between 6:00 and 7:00 pacific time
new job ya know
it's good to be in the work force again

message 41: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Donna will know who my new pic is of....I am channelling the Groke....feeling distinctly Grokish after waiting over an hour at rehearsal only to be told we were not needed after all!

message 42: by Ruth (last edited Apr 17, 2008 11:01AM) (new)

Who/what the hell is Groke?

As in if it ain't groken don't fix it?

R

message 43: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

She did speak once....when she was negotiating for the contents of Thingumy and Bob's suitcase! Only in monosyllables though....such as "Show" when she wanted to see how the Hobgoblin's hat worked. Ruth....you should get hold of Finn Family Moomintroll...you'll love it.

message 44: by Ruth (new)

Oh my. And all the time I thought that was my weird neighbor out there.

R

message 45: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18355 comments Mod
Do frogs in Finland "groke"? And what are the French doing in Helsinki, anyway?

message 46: by Ruth (new)

Etching is what the dogs will be doing if you don't nuke those fleas mentioned above.

R

message 47: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Still priceless!!!

message 48: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Arrived safe and sound and are now 'saved'!!!! Thanks.

message 49: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Yay!!!! Two weeks holidays!!! Not feeling Grokish any more....gonna put my pic back!

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 18, 2008 06:10AM) (new)

Hooray for your holiday! I can be happy for you and not jealous because my 2 month holiday is right around the corner :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25