Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Documentaries > Murderball (Dana Adam Shapiro, 2005)

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Nov 07, 2009 09:11PM) (new)

Phillip | 9416 comments mild SPOILERS on the rampage...

"we're not playing to get a hug, we're playing to win a f#^@ing gold medal...".

murderball is the moniker associated with quad rugby, a sport where quadriplegic athletes play a revised version of the game in highly modified, tricked-out wheelchairs. the film tracks the lives of the u.s, olympic quad rugby team, and their preparation for participation in the 2002 world championships and the 2004 paralympics in greece.

most of these athletes have incurred injuries, usually a broken neck, that have impaired the use of their legs. other participants suffered rare blood diseases that rendered one or more limbs disabled. regardless of how they got there, these fiercely competitive individuals play a highly rigorous contact sport not for the feint of heart. murderball examines closely the personal lives of the players, dispelling assumptions on numerous topics, even the sexual practices of quadriplegics.

murderball illustrates the battle with limitations of the human form and spirit inherent in any sports documentary and inspires its audience with the dedication and passion necessary to compete on an international level. the intense rivalry between the u.s. and canadian teams is a focal point of the film and adds great action and excitement to this rewarding documentary.

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 547 comments pg - i've watched this doco a coupla times now ... it reminds me of my childhood - but that's another story ... but gosh i enjoy it

the fierce struggle within each individual as well as between the two teams is palatable for this chick ... and it never fails to give me the kick in the pants i need when i'm feelin' sorry for myself ...

they were such an honest and open bunch
... what do you think about this notion - that their quadriplegia has actually set these boys free ...
you've actually reminded me about a book i want to read ... mark zupan's book Gimp ... thanks pg

message 3: by Phillip (last edited Nov 07, 2009 11:03PM) (new)

Phillip | 9416 comments the notion that quadriplegia has freed a few of these lads did occur to me - mark says it himself, i think. the friendship that heals at the olympics was also a really moving aspect for me. and i really like it that they're actively recruiting...most inspiring.

unread topics | mark unread