Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

General Books Discussion > Favorite Authors

Comments (showing 251-300 of 385) (385 new)    post a comment »

message 251: by Girija (new)

Girija haha yeah i was the tomboy who liked reading the adventure/mystery books...

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) have you ever read the chronicles of prydain? i loved those books more than anything--i still do! they're kind of like lord of the rings for kids, haha

message 253: by Girija (new)

Girija nope i've never heard of them! but then again i havent read LOTR either teehee

message 254: by Pandy (new)

Pandy | 185 comments I used to love the Chronicles of Prydain! I might reread them because I don't know how I'd feel about them now.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) i still love them all these years later... they're a lot shorter than what i remember, and i suppose the characters arent as "developed" as in adult fiction, but they're still my favorite series (with LOTR and slightly ahead of PJ)

message 256: by Girija (new)

Girija lol i'll add those to my list too! yay my to-read list is expanding rapidly

message 257: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Logan Lerman & PJO•••Percy, Jace,Edward wrote: "Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "i would just be careful what you read. just like movies, once images get into your head, you cant get them out. unfortunately ive read some things ov..."

Just jumping in here, but I know!!!! My friends and I all read the Twilight series last year, and then one of my friends told us that her little sister had a copy of the first book! And she was in 3rd grade!!!! It's just to much!

message 258: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) Girija :) wrote: "Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "oh i agree. as someone who likes the TWILIGHT series, i still think it's a tad creepy when little kids are reading it. if the series came out when I ..."

I am not a Twilight fan but I think i have to defend it right now. The twilight series is in the YoungAdult section the only reason this kids are reading it is because they of course wanted to read it and the parents decided to buy for them because I guess they didnt check the book or be parental or something. These kids don't know better. I dont think it's disturbing at all somehow it is realitic. I mean the whole *spoiler* getting married, pregnant, and baby daddy situation. While leaving the whole Vampire part out hehe. Its a normal part of life. I dont get it why is disturbing?

message 259: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Parker (sarahlizaparker) My favourite author is J.K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter) becuase she is SO talented all the other teen authors are terrible like Sarah Dessen and Stephanie Meyer. All the write is romance. Harry Potter has everything!Romance,action,comedy,suspense,etc. Here books have everything!!J.K. Rowling is truely a talented author. Stephanie Meyer has NO talent once so ever.I could write a better book than Twilight. I know I could. J.K. Rowling has TALENT!!!Stephanie Meyer could get replaced with a flick of a finger. J.K. Rowling is truely irreplacible. Her writing has benn on the market fo 13 years and still one of the top favourite series. That's a show of true talent.

message 260: by Ayundabhuwana (new)

Ayundabhuwana (ayundabs) Yeah!! I think she's awesome. And she could tell things perfectly, and at the end everything connects together. But I don't think Stephenie Meyer is awful... but Rowling is definitely better :)

message 261: by Girija (last edited Jan 17, 2010 06:32AM) (new)

Girija Iriana wrote: " Girija :) wrote: "Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "oh i agree. as someone who likes the TWILIGHT series, i still think it's a tad creepy when little kids are reading it. if the seri..."

I think its just disturbing when kids who i guess arent old enough, like Rae said that a 3rd grader had a Twilight book and it just doesnt seem right, because a third grader shouldn't be thinking about those things...

I love J.K. Rowling, but i also love Sarah Dessen and Stephenie Meyer isn't all too awful ;)

message 262: by Hannah (last edited Jan 17, 2010 08:05AM) (new)

Hannah My favorite fantasy author is Tamora Pierce. All of her books (and she has MANY) are all very different and each of her characters are incredibly memorable! Her books toy with my heart and make me feel all giddy and excited...:) I know I sound strange, but I just adore everything she has wrote. Even though she has like 30 books, each of them are unique and each character has their flaws and qualities. She creates characters that do not follow the usual cleshae (really don't know how to spell that), and her romance is well wrote and beautiful. Im in love with many of her male characters and in love with her for writing them all! :)

My favorite writer of non-fantasy would have to be Louisa May Alcott. Again, her writing does things with my heart. Her books will forever be etched in my memory and, really, who could not love her?! I never understand it when people are not a fan...she's amazing! And it still shocks me how versatile her writing is. There is Little Women, which was the first book of her's that I read and a book that I still read and adore and sob over, and then there is A Long Fatal Love Chase, Behind a Mask and others. I love both sides of her writing, her passionate, thriller side, and her classical, charming side, and no matter what you read she spills her ingeniousness into it fully.

And I admit to being an obsessive Harry Potter fan, so naturally I love J.K. Rowling.

(I promise this is the last time I will add somebody else) Emily Bronte is my favorite author probably, ever! Even though all I have read of her's and all I think she has wrote was Wuthering Heights, it's my favorite book in the world. How can people say they hate Wuthering Heights?!

THE END

message 263: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Parker (sarahlizaparker) ayundabs wrote: "Yeah!! I think she's awesome. And she could tell things perfectly, and at the end everything connects together. But I don't think Stephenie Meyer is awful... but Rowling is definitely better :)"

Whatever you say...

message 264: by Mounica (new)

Mounica | 73 comments Hannah wrote: "My favorite fantasy author is Tamora Pierce. All of her books (and she has MANY) are all very different and each of her characters are incredibly memorable! Her books toy with my heart and make me ..."

I was planning to read the Song of the Lioness series, but which series of Tamora Pierce would you recommend?

I agree, Louisa May Alcott (I only read Little Women though), JK Rowling, and Emily Bronte are great authors!

message 265: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I would say to start with the Song of the Lioness, because it is the first series and all the other books sort of branch off of it. It's also one of my favorites. After that is the Immortals Series, Protector of the Small Series, Tricksters Series, Becka Cooper Series, and Circle of Magic, Circle Opens, and Circle Reforged. Becka Cooper and The Circle Reforged are still an unfinished series though! :) Those are all her series so far, and I suggest that you read them in that order! I know you'll love them all because they are simply amazing! Happy Reading, hehe :)

message 266: by Mounica (new)

Mounica | 73 comments So many books to read! Lol, thanks. :D

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) I was thinking about getting all you guys' posts and creating a "Master List." Do you all think that would be a good idea??

message 268: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Mounica wrote: "So many books to read! Lol, thanks. :D"

LOL, I know!!! My sister was the one who first started me on Tamora Pierce. At first I had no desire to even take one look at the books. I was at that time in my life when I had just finished Harry Potter and was determind that no other fantasy book could rival it. Oh, how ignorant I was! Haha, I still love the Harry Potter books though! Anyway, once I finished the first book, I was hooked. I'm still not finished with them all. I'm on the first Circle Reforged book, once I am finished with that I have only to read the second Circle Reforged and then I'll be finished with all the Tamora Pierce books currently out!

message 269: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE Tamora Pierce!!! She writes such amazing stories! I have read almost all of the books that she has written, I just have to read the Circle Opens quartet and the Circle Reforged series. I personally prefer her books that are set in Tortall but her other books are really good too. I can't wait for 'Mastiff' to come out!!!

message 270: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4296 comments Mod
oh that reminds me, has any one read the series about Kel, a lady knight by Tamora Pierce.
The series has a book called SQUIRE,LADY NIGHT and something else.
Anybody heard of it?
If so, is it good?
I won the series in a raffle, and am contemplating read it . When-im not sure?

message 271: by Jordan (last edited Jan 18, 2010 03:11AM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments I read Trickster's Choice, and am now waiting to go to the library and get more of her books. I really like them.

I loved Little Women, though it made me sad. It was one of the very first classics I read. Ah, fond memories. Which were spoiled by the '94 movie version with Christian Bale. I saw it last year and the whole time was thinking "That's not Laurie!"

message 272: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Ok, sorry to double-post.

This? This is the last straw.
First Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, then Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, then Mansfield Park and Mummies and now?

Little Women and Werewolves. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Women-We...

End of the world countdown commence...

message 273: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Amelia*annabeth&percy*sittin in a tree* wrote: "I was thinking about getting all you guys' posts and creating a "Master List." Do you all think that would be a good idea?? "

Yeah, that way if someone is searching for a good book to read, they don't have to sift through all the random chatter in the group.

message 274: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Jordan wrote: "Ok, sorry to double-post.

This? This is the last straw.
First Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, then Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, then Mansfield Park and Mummies and now?

Little Women a..."

what is the deal! i'll admit, before I started to read Pride and Prejudice, I thought PPZ sounded okay, but now it just seems stupid! why ruin a classic?!

message 275: by Jordan (last edited Jan 18, 2010 07:03AM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Exactly my thoughts. Grr. Why don't we just name them Bella, Edward and Jacob and be done with it? Mr. Darcy to Mr. Cullen...
(ok, that's just messed up. But I really think that's where this is heading)

Better idea:
Mr. Collins to Mr. Cullen. :)

message 276: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments lolz. nice one.

message 277: by Girija (last edited Jan 18, 2010 07:50AM) (new)

Girija Booklover23 wrote: "oh that reminds me, has any one read the series about Kel, a lady knight by Tamora Pierce.
Anybody heard of it?
If so, is it g..."

I've read that series, its good but i guess its not her best because once i got to the last book i got a little bored and i haven't read any of her other books since...

this is maddening i dont get why you would want to ruin classics... *sigh*
haha i agree Jordan, Mr. Collins to Mr. Cullen sounds better, but poor Charlotte :P

message 278: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments lol. Shhhh! Don't tell me!

message 279: by Girija (new)

Girija OH oops hehehe

message 280: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments lolz. it's okay

message 281: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Hurry up and finish, Rae, so we can discuss P&P and how amazing it is.

message 282: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments well, give me at least a week to do so as i have school and such!

message 283: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments oh, ok. fine.

message 284: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments lolz. yeah, dang middle school~! i don't have much time to read unless i procrastinate on my hw!

message 285: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Booklover23 wrote: "oh that reminds me, has any one read the series about Kel, a lady knight by Tamora Pierce.
Anybody heard of it?
If so, is it g..."

Yes, it's VERY good. But there are a few other series before it which you should read before reading the Kel books. They start with the Song of the Lioness Quartet, and then The Immortals Quartet, and THEN the Kel books. There are also MANY others after them. :) You should read them all because they are all amazing. Tamora Pierce is an astonishing author!

message 286: by Jordan (last edited Jan 18, 2010 10:54AM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Rae*Anidori/Isilee* wrote: "lolz. yeah, dang middle school~! i don't have much time to read unless i procrastinate on my hw!"

High school is worse. Trust me.

And lookee! I made a topic for Jane Austen! We can redirect there now. Beware, Rae. We'll try not to spoil.

message 287: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments okayz. i dont think you'll be able to do so though. i won't check into the topic until i finish P&P.

message 288: by Girija (new)

Girija Hannah wrote: "Booklover23 wrote: "oh that reminds me, has any one read the series about Kel, a lady knight by Tamora Pierce.
Anybody heard of ..."

hmmm maybe i should read those other series as well, they might get me interested in Tamora Pierce again...

message 289: by ★ Jess (new)

ohk, the series by Tamora Pierce goes as such.

FIRST TEST
PAGE
SQUIRE
LADY KNIGHT

message 290: by ★ Codie (new)

★ Codie Abibliophobic ★ (phobo55) Sarah Dessen
Rachel Hawthorne
Cory Doctrow
Cyn Balog
Meg Cabot
Steven Gould
Jane Austen
Edward Bloor
Janet Nichols Lynch
Susane Colasanti
Megan Shull
Carrie Jones
Lisa Jahn-Clough
Nicholas Sparks
Melodie Bowsher
Sarah Ockler
Laura Ruby
Sonya Sones
Nancy Werlin
Rachel Cohn
Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Lauren Barnholdt
Audrey Niffenegger
Judy Blume
Ursala K. Le Guin
Natasha Friend
Stephen King

message 291: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments always good to have long lists like that :D

message 292: by ★ Codie (new)

★ Codie Abibliophobic ★ (phobo55) LOL yes it is :D

message 293: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like Laurie Halse Anderson... she's amazing:)

message 294: by ★ Jess (new)

My favorite authors are:

Stephan King (Heaps of stuff:The Shining,IT,Carrie etc etc...)
Cornilia Funke (Inkheart (and more)))
Roald Dahl ((Lots: James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Jk Rowling ((Harry Potter!!!!)))
F.E Higgins ((The Bone Magician, The Black Book of secrets)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) awww, roald dahl! :D

message 296: by ★ Codie (new)

★ Codie Abibliophobic ★ (phobo55) What did Laurie Halse Anderson write?

message 297: by ★ Jess (new)

I love Roald Dahl!
He got me interested in reading.
I owe him a lot!

message 298: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) | 349 comments My faves are JK Rowling (of course), Christopher Moore (though his books are for adults), Kazuya Minekura (the manga-ka of the Saiyuki and Saiyuki Reload series... pretty much the greatest thing to ever exist!!) Lauren Myracle (she's awesome), Natsuki Takaya (manga-ka of Fruits Basket) aaaaannndd... Roald Dahl. Hmm.... Lemony Snicket!! (haha I haven't read anything under his real name, but I love his Lemony persona!) and who knows... probably more I can't think of right now because I'm an old lady and at 8:16 at night I'm already ready for bed. Haha... ah.... boy

message 299: by ★ Codie (new)

★ Codie Abibliophobic ★ (phobo55) What books have you read by Stephen King?

What book should I read first by Roald Dahl?

message 300: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) | 349 comments Matilda is my absolute favorite Roald Dahl book!!!!!! Haha, but that's just me. Fantastic Mr. Fox is fun too! I also love The Witches

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Tale of Two Cities (other topics)
Redwall (other topics)
Privilege (other topics)
Charmed and Dangerous: The Rise of the Pretty Committee (other topics)
Private (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Meg Cabot (other topics)
Christopher Paolini (other topics)
J.K. Rowling (other topics)
Shannon Hale (other topics)
Rick Riordan (other topics)
More...