Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > What is your favorite Austen?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Abby | 5 comments I think mine would be a tie between Mansfield Park and Emma. Emma is so charming, and such a fun book to read, but MP's Fanny Price is my favorite Austen heroine. She overcomes so much and sticks to her convictions, even when everyone tells her not to.
They are all so amazing - I am hard-pressed to choose. Persuasion is a bit darker and more internal than some of Austen's other work, and I think it's a masterpiece.
I still haven't read Sandition or Lady Susan, so I can't give an opinion on those...

message 2: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
It IS hard to pick a favorite Austen. I am re-reading Persuasion right now. No matter how many times I read through the different novels, I always come back to Persuasion. It is a novel among all the novels I have read (Austen or otherwise) that I cannot get out of my head sometimes. I connect with Anne Elliot that she is Austen's older heroine -- has faced loss early in life in several ways and is forced to find her independence of mind more acutely due to her circumstances (undependable father, flighty self-absorbed sisters, dwindling fortune). I could go on and on really. I guess another favorite that I pull out when I am in a different mood is Sense and Sensibility. I like the array of characters in this one -- and the comparison of the two sisters.

Maybe in the near future we could specifically discuss Sandition - Abby, I have also not read it. From sources I have seen, it was clearly written after her illness had already set in severely.

The fact that the two of you choose Mansfield Park as a favorite makes me want to read it again even more. I dont think I have looked at it as closely as the others - I have only read it once. I want to find all that I missed before.

message 3: by Georgia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Georgia | 2 comments Sanditon is a very interesting Austen work. The fact that it was interrupted by her death, and is therefore unfinished, makes it, for me, rather poignant.
Speaking of her early death (at age 42), it's terrible to think that if she lived now her condition (Addison's disease) is so easily treated by cortisone, and yet was incurable in her time.

message 4: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Kelly Oh I really didn't enjoy Mansfield Park. I tried to. I didn't want to be bored by an Austen. But alas, I was. Fanny... I want to wring her prosy boring little neck. Though I do love the movie. I salute the director who made it really beautiful and interesting.

My favorite Austen.. wow. Emotionally? We've got a tie between Northanger Abbey and Emma. I just adore the first one. The voice of Jane is wonderful in that one. I love what she does to her heroine and her mocking of the gothic genre. Emma... I just love the heroine and relate to her. It's wonderful. I do think that Sense and Sensibility is probably the most mature and well written of the lot, though, and would come up a close third with me.

message 5: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I think it is so interesting to see so many different favorites. Obviously Austen was able to speak to people strongly in some way within each book. I love that... and that is what is fun about this web site.

message 6: by Joey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Joey | 4 comments I would say that my favourite Austen book is Persuasion. I found that, like another poster, I could relate to Anne. I remember reading the book and thinking "I like this woman, I wish I knew her in my own life". Now I want to re-read it!

message 7: by Courtney (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Courtney  (cocorenato) I have read Pride & Prejudice, Emma, Mansfield Park, and Sense & Sensibility, with the last being my favorite. In fact, upon my first reading of it, it became one of my favorite books...ever...not just of Jane's works. I loved the relationship between Elinor and Marianne, and despite the tremendous differences in personality how nicely the complemented each other. In temperament, I probably lean a bit closer to Marianne (especially when younger), and so I really admired Elinor's groundedness and selflessness in the face of obligation. However, I think my favorite part of the book was actually Colonel Brandon's devotion to Marianne. To me, it was one of the best, most tender, connections Ms. Austen has ever established.

On a side note, I was reading this book when I found out I was expecting my daughter. Though the character was annoying and despicable, I found myself myself drawn to the Christian name of a certain Miss Steele and welcomed my own little Lucy into the world earlier this summer! :-D

message 8: by Ada (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Ada | 2 comments For me it's always a struggle to choose between Persuasions & P&P. P&P became my favorite while reading it in my youth (then I had to read everything else this woman wrote) while Persuasions I learned to appreciate as I aged a bit. Somehow I always manage to read them one after the other and love them both.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 05, 2007 06:46PM) (new)

IT'S TOO HARD TO PICK A FAVORITE!
Pride & Predjudice is without a doubt the one I read every year! From the first page I am transported to Jane's world. I can't get enough of the constant back and forth between Elizabeth and Darcy. And no matter how many times I read it, I worry about if it will all work out in the end.

Sense and Sensibility is another that draws me in right from the start. I actually read this after I saw the movie (Kate Winslett version) and found that like most movie adaptations, I liked the book sooo much better.

Emma is great-- a lot of fun!

Mansfield Park takes me too long to get into.

I need to re-read Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.

message 10: by Ada (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Ada | 2 comments You will fall in love with Persuasion!

message 11: by Georgia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Georgia | 2 comments Persuasion is so different I think from the rest of her work, but it's a deep, autumnal, poignant novel and I love it.

message 12: by Jenna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Jenna | 1 comments I read pride and prejudice first and it has remained one of my favorites ever since, I reread it every couple of months.. but persuasion is SOOOOOO beautiful too.. sigh.. I wish I could write like Austen!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jane Austen is my favorite author.
all Jane Austen's book were translated in Iran(Persian language) by different translators.
we can't understand the real beauty of these books, because we can't read them in their original language in iran.
i read all of them, & i love them.
it's too hard to choose one of them.
but, pride & prejudice is my favorite.

message 14: by Sara Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Sara Diane Hands down, Persusasion. Mansfield Park is a close second with P&P following on the coattails. I've read all of her fiction works and find that as she matured as an author I liked her more and more!

message 15: by Amina (new)

Amina (aalsaigh) | 1 comments Pride and Prejudice is my number one, period. It's the best love story I have ever read -- Lizzy and Darcy are amazing characters and they're so human. The latest movie is great too! My second would have to be Emma...I love her. And my third would have to be pursuasion. Those three have the best characters/plots to me. Mansfield, northanger Abbey, and S&S are great as well, but more ordinary. All in all, I am in love with Austen's writing. If only she lived longer to write more books!

message 16: by Korie (new)

Korie Brown (drbrown) | 11 comments Mansfield Park. I like the moral ambivalence of the characters, the fact that there is an awareness of the impact of colonialism on the world, and the way we see Fanny growing up and trying to make sense of it all. I also really liked Sense and Sensibility because the characters, although originally presented as stereotypes, became real, fleshed-out people as the story went on. For some reason, it took many readings of Pride and Prejudice to see the wit and the intelligence -- I found the writing much more opaque then with the other two novels. Persuasion I enjoyed, Northanger Abbey I thought a bit overwrought (but that was the point, no?), and Emma I have yet to read.

message 17: by Florita (new)

Florita (ms_rita) Interesting that so many have said Mansfield Park. I have not read it yet.

My favourite so far has been Sense and Sensibility. Aside from that I have read Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey and I am currently reading Emma.

I loved Northanger Abbey as well. P&P I didn't warm to so much, for some reason; I haven't yet made up my mind about Emma.

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Definitely Pride & Prejudice! I just love Elizabeth Bennett. Although Mansfield Park has more of the good stuff, it hasn't got Elizabeth.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments Sense and Sensibility hands down. P&P is a close second. I love it because I love the characters so much. I love the connection between Marianne and Elinor. The characters have such heart.

message 20: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn | 1 comments It's hard to choose, but for me Emma just squeezes out Pride & Prejudice. Both Emma and Lizzy are so refreshingly flawed, but I think Emma is more relatable in her bossy but well-meaning desire to interfere in everyone else's business. Emma is a believable heroine that you know in real life but still can root for in fiction. And between Darcy and Knightley... that would be an *almost* impossible choice but I do think for me, the ideal man would be Knightley.

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire | 1 comments My two are Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion. I read P&P for the first time in junior high and was surprised that I actually could read and enjoy a novel written in the 1800's. I really didn't get into the storyline until my mom bought the old BBC version (before Collin Firth's edition). (At least I think it was BBC. It is a 5 hour version made probably in the 80's.) Anyways, as a teenager I really could relate with Elizabeth's mortification over her mother's crazy behaviour and younger siblings. As I got older, I started to see how Mr. Bennet was to blame for a lot of his family's issues. Each time I read P & P or watch one of the many versions (I own them all, althought I refuse to own Bridget Jone's Diary because Bridget is NO Elizabeth Bennet) I want to have Lizzy as a pen pal and fall in love with Mr. Darcy.
On a funny note, I usually read Austen in spurts. I'll pick up one of the novels and then read two more before I can't handle it any more. After a few Jane Austen's I find myself talking like the characters and using their sentence structures.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments I loved your reference to "Bridget Jones". However, I have never thought that to be a true "adaptation" of P&P. I just think that Helen Fielding wanted a "Darcy" of her own in her novel so that Colin Firth could play him in the movie. haha

message 23: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I would say definitely P&P. The characters were complex and more real because of their flaws. I also felt that Lizzy and Darcy became better people for knowing each other - and what else can we hope from love?

Persuasion is (so far) second - I say so far because I haven't read Emma.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I have to say Northanger Abbey is my favorite. Austen makes fun of the Gothic novel so well and it makes me smile and laugh each time. Plus, Catherine is so naive and doesn't play games with Henry. It is just fun. That is followed closely by Pride and Prejudice because it has Elizabeth and Darcy.

message 25: by LeOta (new)

LeOta (berrylota) | 26 comments Persuasion is my favorite. How Anne puts up with her sister's is beyond me!!! Mary & Elizabeth crack me up. I love how Anne hangs in there and in the end, everything turns out okay.

message 26: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia | 2 comments Sarah "I connect with Anne Elliot that she is Austen's older heroine -- has faced loss early in life in several ways and is forced to find her independence of mind more acutely due to her circumstances "
your words express my sentiments exactly. I think I also love Persuasion for another reason too: it is a pebble where P&P is a diamond. In P&P Ms Austen's wit is bright and incisive. In Persuasion on the other hand it is not so much softened as it is toned down or slightly muted and lets more emotion show through.
Am I rambling here?

message 27: by Korie (new)

Korie Brown (drbrown) | 11 comments not at all -- I like the way in which you characterize the difference between the novels. I've always liked Mansfield Park because of similar things -- the wit is toned down, but the wonderful philosophy comes through

message 28: by lea (last edited Apr 13, 2008 12:39PM) (new)

lea (leaner) | 7 comments totaly agree with amina and diva. pride and prejudice all the way. the fact that hate turns into passion is more real life than any thing. and then they fall in love because of there flaws. believe it or not there is a thin line between love and hate. and that line can be crossed any time. believe me i know.

message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 32 comments I think if I actually had to chose an actual favorite I would have to go with Pride and Prejudice. Something about all those sisters and how they inneract with each other delights me. Of course I also love the strong backbone of Elizabeth I adore strong characters. My second would be Sense and Sensibility with Elenor...eventhough I do like the melodramaticness of MaryAnn. I sometimes feel that way myself in her times of despair.

message 30: by Phillip (last edited Jul 29, 2008 12:08PM) (new)

Phillip My list, in order of preference might be:

Mansfield Park
Persuasion
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility

I haven't read the others. I see Emma on several people's list, so I might visit that next. And I'm reading that some of you view Northanger Abbey as a gothic novel, that's intriguing.

The characters are all great, and like a few others have mentioned, Fanny Price is an irrepressible Austen heroine who I fell in love with immediately. I also like how Austed deals with the subject of colonialism in this one.

The subtle twists and turns of Persuasion makes it also a favorite...but it is hard to say why you would like one more than another. They're all delicious - like too many great choices at a buffet...

The wonderfully balanced cast in Pride and Prejudice make it a more than memorable read. And Mr. Darcy is a great character...I love novels that tear away at our assumptions...

Wow, am I like the only guy on this list? If so, I can only state the obvious: REAL MEN LOVE AUSTEN!

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (wanderingthroughfiction) Mine would have to be Pride and Prejudice, closely followed by Emma. While I love Austen’s other novels, those two are my favourites by far.

Mansfield Park is the only one I haven’t finished. I’ve started it at least three times and never got past the first 100 pages. I guess the darker tone puts me off, along with the fact that Fanny Price just doesn’t appeal to me the way Austen’s other heroines do. Though lots of you rate it really highly so now I feel like I should give it another chance.

message 32: by M0rfeus (last edited Jul 29, 2008 10:35PM) (new)

M0rfeus | 4 comments Phillip, you're not the only guy here--although I've been thinking *i* was for the longest time!

(and for the record my fave is P&P followed closely by Emma.)
;)
T

message 33: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Well, there you have it, Morfeus, we're real men!

message 34: by Annette (new)

Annette (peachnettie) | 5 comments I have read all of Austen, including her juvenalia, and my favorite is a tie between Emma and P&P. Austen's wit shines so brightly in both of those novels and they have less conventional heroines and tons of quirky, hilarious characters.

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann | 69 comments Well, I've only read three... (gasp! I know!) P&P, S&S, and Emma. I'd have to say it's a tie between P&P and Emma though;>

message 36: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 25 comments I like all of them. :P But especially P&P and Persuasion. I still have to read the unfinished works though...

message 37: by LeOta (new)

LeOta (berrylota) | 26 comments Persuasion is still my all time favorite, but as far as the rest go, it just depends on what day you ask me.

I love all of the books for different reasons.

I love S&S because good triumphs over scheming in the end. Both Lucy & Willoughby lose out.

I love MP because when it is all said and done, awful Aunt Norris and Maria are stuck with each other.

I love Emma because everyone, even Mr. Woodhouse, gets a happy ending.

I love NA because so much of the story is based on Catherine Morland's imagination and how sometimes she lets it get the best of her.

Finally, I love P&P for the over the top, silly characters like Mr. Collins, Lady Catherine and Mrs. Bennett.

message 38: by Ann (new)

Ann | 69 comments Mademoiselle wrote: "Like George Elliot said, "It's never to late to become what you might have been.""
Wow! That's a great quote! Thanks, Mademoiselle!:)

And LeOta, yes, I love that about Emma, too - that so many people end up with happy endings, even Mr. Woodhouse!:)

message 39: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 19, 2009 07:57AM) (new)

Elizabeth (bessfedor) | 12 comments

'Persuasion' and 'Pride and Prejudice' tie with me.
I love them both dearly, and return to them again and again.

Then:
Sense and Sensability
Emma
Sanditon (though I know it's not completely Austen...I still love it.)
Northanger Abbey

And least of all: (drum roll with a clown squeaker at the end)
Mansfield Park. Sorry, I can't say I really enjoyed this one at all. It kind of falls flat in the romance department. The characters lack the spark that Austen's characters usually have.

Kelly wrote: "Oh I really didn't enjoy Mansfield Park. I tried to. I didn't want to be bored by an Austen. But alas, I was. Fanny... I want to wring her prosy boring little neck. Though I do love the movie. I sa..."

I feel the same way about Fanny! Doesn't she annoy?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoy P&P the most (how unoriginal haha) and probably Emma second best. I read Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park but I don't remember much about them. Never got around to S&S but I hope to soon. I see it's a bigger favorite here.

message 41: by Jamie (last edited Apr 18, 2009 03:26PM) (new)

Jamie How about Persuasion, Krys? That one is my personal favorite. : )

message 42: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I love all of Austen's novels but my favourite has to be Persuasion, hands down. I remember reading it for the first time and I just couldn't put it down; I had to find out what happened next, especially when Anne gets to Bath and all of the events start coming together. All of the characters were interesting and I really felt for Anne throughout. And that letter Wentworth wrote at the end! =D There's this melancholy/atmosphere in this novel that I just love.

My second favourite is Sense and Sensibility, which is funny because I remember when I read it for the first time that it was a bit difficult (having come off from reading Pride and Prejudice). But reading it a couple of times after that, I just fell in love with the story, I love how Austen presents the sense and the sensibility. The characters are also interesting and I really felt for Elinor throughout (whom I guess I probably relate to the most personality-wise).

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 23 comments My favorite would have to be Pride and Prejudice. I love the book and the characters. Especially Mr. Darcy!

message 44: by Patty (new)

Patty (pyeager13) Pride and Prejudice will always be my favorite, but I love them ALL dearly. I have not read Emma in quite a few years...I think I will re read it soon :)

message 45: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 112 comments Pride and Prejudice is also my favorite. I think I love them all for different reasons though.

message 46: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Without a doubt - Pride and Prejudice! after reading that, who doesn't want to find their Darcy!?! <3 <3 <3
though i will put in a word for Emma, which after getting into the book really began to grow on me and i like Knightly a lot as well!
though so far, i do not dislike any Austen story! they are all different in there own ways and each individual! i love how P&P is similar to S&S , even with the name, but S&S focus's more on the relationships between sisters and mothers and daughters. I know P&P has this to but i find P&P much more romantic and i think it focus's more on the trials and tribulations of romantic relationships!
sorry, got a bit side tracked!!! ;) xx