221B Baker Street discussion

favourite Sherlock Holmes story

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dfordoom (new)

Dfordoom | 1 comments It seems a bit quiet here. So, what's your all-time favourite Sherlock Holmes story?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) | 2 comments Ok, guess I'll be brave and answer. I always liked "The Beryl Cornet" (sp?) and "The Dancing Men".

message 3: by Lindee (new)

Lindee (drivenbychrist) | 15 comments Irene Adler.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1 comments I have many favorites, but if I had to pick one, I'd say "A Scandal in Bohemia."

Belinda Burkhart | 2 comments I'm new to the group. Tough question to answer. I guess I would have to answer The Sign of Four.

message 6: by Bob (new)

Bob (Bobinlr) | 2 comments The Hound of the Baskervilles, because Watson has a lot of the action.

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (victorianwoman) | 1 comments Of the novels my favorite is Sign of the Four. The short stories is a bit more difficult, but I would have to say Charles Augustes Milverton

message 8: by Rei (new)

Rei Miyamoto (The_One_Who_Sees) | 4 comments THE SIGN OF FOUR HANDS ON!
I don't know why I just like that one.

message 9: by Rei (new)

Rei Miyamoto (The_One_Who_Sees) | 4 comments Then it has to be "The Red Headed League".
Then the "Scandal in Bohemia".

message 11: by Rei (new)

Rei Miyamoto (The_One_Who_Sees) | 4 comments I have a new third favorite story "The Dying Detective".
That one is kind off funny.
Holmes is acting all delusional!
First he talks about oysters in the ocean then the brain and then he turns to Watson and goes," Now what were we talking about, Watson.
So funny!
He's a great actor!

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Alther (hawkbrother) | 1 comments I guess my favorite story would have to be The Adventure of the Speckled Band, because it was the first Holmes story I ever read, in the 8th grade in my English lit book(which also introduced me to Poe's the Tell Tale Heart). Long time ago that was.
Among the longer pieces Hound of the Baskervilles.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

'The Red-Headed League'
'The Hound of the Baskervilles'

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Chatfield (stephaniepina) | 3 comments I think my favorite is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches". Or possibly "The Musgrave Ritual".
Let's say it's a tie.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim "The Sign of the Four"
"The Hound of the Baskervilles"

Would have to be my two favorites.

message 16: by Lee Barrow (new)

Lee Barrow | 2 comments My would be The Adventure of the Speckled Band,brilliant story. Also the Hound of the Baskervilles of course...

message 17: by Atman (new)

Atman (revatman) | 1 comments They're all good but two of my favorites would be The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (because of how comical it is withe guy trying to find the right goose) and the Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb (just because it's so sinister.)

message 18: by Ivan (new)

Ivan I just read The Sign of the Four - it was really terrific - truly couldn't put it down when I got to the last forty or so pages. Thrilling.

message 19: by Lrmenon (new)

Lrmenon | 2 comments hmm.. tough one! They are all fantastic stories. If I still had to pick two of them, I would go for "The Hound of the Baskervilles", because it has lot of action and the second one will be "The Adventure of the Empty House", for the obvious reason that it marks the return of Holmes after he was supposed to be dead.

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin (eareed) | 5 comments The Devil's Foot

message 21: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 13 comments Lrmenon wrote: "hmm.. tough one! They are all fantastic stories.
Amen to that!
I'd say The Hound of the Baskervilles and "A Scandal in Bohemia" are tied for my favorites, but I love "The Dying Detective" and "The Speckled Band" as well.

message 22: by Nalleli (last edited Nov 24, 2012 08:43PM) (new)

Nalleli | 1 comments "The Adventure of The Final Problem" where Holmes is almost killed by Moriarty.

message 23: by Naching (new)

Naching Kassa | 1 comments Hello! My name is Naching and my favorite story is "The Abbey Grange".

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael | 1 comments I like the Blue Carbuncle. I think it shows Holmes at his detective best.