Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader Available

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited May 08, 2015 10:10PM) (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments I am an avid reader with a proofreading eye. I am available to beta read for young adult, thrillers, mystery, fantasy, SF, dystopian, alternate history, paranormal and chick lit.

I would love to work with you and provide feedback and proofreading. I am available to work around your timeline.

You can contact me at Catriona97@aol.com, PM me or leave a comment. I will respond promptly.

It would be my pleasure to help you on your literary adventure.

message 2: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Valentine (goodreadscommelindavalentine) | 3 comments Hi Melissa!

My 74,000 word novel, Alabaster City, is a paranormal romance(With some steamy sex scenes :)). Mixing suspense and romance in a world where werewolves aren’t just in the movies.

Blurb:
Mackenzie Wolfe gets by pretty well owning her own bar. Until the night she was saved from a brutal assault in the alley by Warren Alabaster. Not knowing who or what he was, she’s drawn to his charm. Feeling as though she’s been tossed down Alice’s rabbit hole, she’s forced to face off against a stalking ex-boyfriend who wont let go, a confession from Warren that slants the prospective of her whole world and an attack by his ex-girlfriend that leaves her forever changed.

Riley Fitzgerald was ready for a new start when he returned home to Alabaster City. He wanted nothing more that to resume teaching the newly changed wolves to hide in plain sight among the humans and to make a life for himself. Until he meets the human girl that has his Pack mate, and future Alpha all twisted up. Now Riley wants more. Can he win Mackenzie for himself?

I'm looking for someone to check for holes in the story line, see if things flow properly and an opinion on the overall story. I've gone over it so many times that I'm afraid I'm missing the forest for the trees. If you're interested in being a beta, I look forward to hearing from you!
Melinda.valentine.bailey@gmail.com

message 3: by Garrison (new)

Garrison Kelly (cybador) Good afternoon, Melissa! How are you? Here are the details of my novel:

TITLE: Occupy Wrestling

WORD COUNT: Approximately 31,000

GENRE: Fiction

SUBGENRE: Professional Wrestling Urban Fantasy

RATING: R for violence, sexual content, language, and politics

SYNOPSIS: Over a decade of hard work, sacrifices, and injuries have earned professional wrestler Mitch McLeod a chance at the KDW World Heavyweight Championship, at the time held by a 400 lb. monster named Jason Finnegan. Before their match begins, Jason assaults Mitch in the hallway, hoping for an easy victory later on in the ring. Despite the brutal beating, Mitch wins the match via pin fall after his finishing move, a variation of the superman punch, accidentally kills Jason. Legal issues aside, Mitch finds himself embroiled in a plot to have his newly won KDW World Title taken from him by science-fiction-like creatures hired by Keegan Day, the owner of KDW. A world title is a symbol of excellence for not only the wrestler holding it, but for the wrestling industry as a whole. Mitch will be damned if his oppressive corporate master is going to take it from him that easily.

DESIRED CRITIQUE: I’m looking for ways to flesh the story out so that it at least breaks the 50,000 word barrier. It would be even better if it was 60,000, but not required. This story has already been edited by one beta reader and when I asked her about fleshing it out, she gave me these suggestions:

1. Don't go into detail on action scenes. Keep the focus on the action, don't stray with setting details.

2. Don't overly describe a character when first introduced. Take your time and let us get to know them through their actions. We can learn a lot about someone just by watching them sit, drink some coffee, and reminisce about the good old days of wrestling.

3. Sensory details. You know what I like, yeah!

4. Setting details. Landscapes, furniture, little things. Put me there with them!

5. All that extra stuff. What are the characters thinking and feeling? How are they acting and reacting? Facial expressions, body language, make me feel what they feel!

Basically, what I want from my beta reader are opportunities within the text to apply these rules and hopefully get some meat on the bones.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments Sending you a DM

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments I am full for the month of May. June is open if anyone is interested.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Harrison (chrisharrison_2013) | 8 comments Hi Melissa

I just sent you a direct message. Hope it's of interest.

Chris

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments Sent you a response. :)

message 8: by Hannah (last edited May 12, 2015 03:58PM) (new)

Hannah Nikka (hannahashworth) | 3 comments Hi Melissa!

I'm looking for beta readers for a 100k-word NA/YA Contemporary Fantasy (with a splash of romance), A Royal Reborn. This is a co-written project. You can read about A Royal Reborn on its Goodreads book page!

We're hoping to be able to start handing drafts of the manuscript out for beta-reading starting in early June, and it'd be awesome to have these edits by July. We're looking for feedback on the overall content, or really anything you believe could really improve my writing. If you're interested in being a beta, feel free to contact us by PM or email!

Thanks!

Hannah Ashworth
Liz Englewood
ContactUs@Ashworthenglewoodbooks.com

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments sending you a DM

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments I still have openings for June. They are filling up fast. I am also taking beta reads for July.

message 11: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Greutman | 15 comments I'd love for you to take a look at my story if you're interested :)

No one else knows that Trisha is fae. Or so she thought. Then she finds herself waking up in the woods one night nearly starving, which means she’s been through a major healing session. Someone did know, more than one someone. Apparently she has been breaking the number one rule earth born fae have to live by, to make a visit back to Faerie for evaluation and training as a child. The council that rules Faerie isn’t happy, but they make a deal with her, if she helps them capture a dangerous criminal with her ability, she can go back to life with her foster parents like nothing happened. Simple enough, right? If only she had known what she was getting herself into.

Just let me know!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments Hi Cassie,

Sending you a PM

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments I am currently scheduling for July and beyond. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody Rawley (southerncrux) | 4 comments Hi Melissa,
I suppose I post a request here. My unpublished novel is unusual. It's a tale (just a journey, not a story), without romance, mystery, murder, or any of the standard story drivers. The promotion webpage gives some introduction:
http://www.dartans.com/styled-7/index...
Thank you for considering it.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissame) | 10 comments Hi Jody,

I sent you a PM