The Official Darynda Jones Fan Group discussion

The Charley Davidson Series > Your questions for Darynda Jones!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (amgiammarino) As a part of our re-read, some fans won a chance to talk to Darynda Jones on the phone! This thread is where you can ask YOUR questions for Darynda. Some of the fans who have upcoming calls may ask her your questions and report back with answers... or maybe Darynda will pop in to answer some herself!

Ask away, Grims!

message 2: by BookLovin (new)

BookLovin (booklovinwhore-der) | 10 comments Are you like any of your characters in real life? If you say you're anything like Charlie, we are seriously going to need to meet in real life so I can make you my new BFF! I love Charlie's crazy personality and love the banter between her & Reyes! It makes me giggle.. lol

message 3: by Emani (last edited May 12, 2015 09:41PM) (new)

Emani  | 10 comments On a scale of 1 to I want to hang you upside down, is Micheal mad at Charley?

message 4: by Cashea (new)

Cashea Rigney | 4 comments Do you know when we will hear more about cookies ex?

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jkiuber) | 4 comments I love all the chapter headings. How do you come up with them? My favorite is "If it has tires or testicles, it's gonna give you trouble" -Bumper Sticker

message 6: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 34 comments Mod
BookLovin wrote: "Are you like any of your characters in real life? If you say you're anything like Charlie, we are seriously going to need to meet in real life so I can make you my new BFF! I love Charlie's crazy p..."

LOL! I think I am a little like Charley in the ADHD area. I do have a continuous flow of random thoughts throughout the day, but I like to think everyone is like that. :)

message 7: by Darynda (new)

Emani wrote: "On a scale of 1 to I want to hang you upside down, is Micheal mad at Charley?"

Well, let's just say he is... keeping an eye on her. We don't see him in 8th, but he comes back in 9th.

Thanks!

message 8: by Darynda (new)

Cashea wrote: "Do you know when we will hear more about cookies ex?"

We get a glimpse in 8th, and I do plan to bring him in more, but probably not until around 10th or after.

message 9: by Darynda (new)

Jessica wrote: "I love all the chapter headings. How do you come up with them? My favorite is "If it has tires or testicles, it's gonna give you trouble" -Bumper Sticker"

Hi Jessica! For the most part, they are real t-shirts, bumper stickers, and internet memes. I save them! I HOARD THEM! Hehehe.

message 10: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 5 comments First .. I just LOVE this series and hope it doesn't come to an end anytime soon ! How many books are planned in the Charley series ?
Do you know anyone who looks like Reyes?

message 11: by Darynda (new)

Rissa wrote: "First .. I just LOVE this series and hope it doesn't come to an end anytime soon ! How many books are planned in the Charley series ?
Do you know anyone who looks like Reyes? "

LOL thanks, Rissa!!!! I love your name!

Sadly, I don't know anyone who looks like Reyes personally, but I did see a cover model at RT who came darned close. OY!

And I'm so glad to hear you don't want the series to end! So far, it's ongoing. I'm hoping it continues for a long while. I have too many ideas! So much to do yet! LOL.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (annatalyn) | 3 comments Love your new look! Ok, so my question is: Will you name a ghost after me in the next book and have Charley experience a transwoman's life when she crosses? :)

Also would you recommend self publishing for an aspiring author in today's market?

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (annatalyn) | 3 comments The descriptions of lives that cross are particularly special in the character. I hope to see more of that explored and continued! Thank you for this beautiful series. I love it so so much and I have a total writer crush on your ability to do dialogue and personality with such great texture! <3

message 14: by Krystal (new)

Krystal | 3 comments Hi ! I adore this series ! Do you have an idea of how many we can expect to come.. So far I saw there will be a 10th, will there be more?

message 15: by Dominy (new)

Dominy | 31 comments What was your first glimpse into how you wanted Charlie to be? Or is she like an amalgam of many people rolled into one?

message 16: by Darynda (new)

Anna wrote: "Love your new look! Ok, so my question is: Will you name a ghost after me in the next book and have Charley experience a transwoman's life when she crosses? :)

Also would you recommend self publi..."

LOL Anna! Great questions! First, that is a fantastic idea. What a story that would be! And second, I think the indie pub market is changing fast. I would recommend only if you had something else ready to go right after your first pub and then are a very fast writer. Either way, have at least two things ready to publish before you hit that button.

Thanks!

message 17: by Darynda (new)

Anna wrote: "The descriptions of lives that cross are particularly special in the character. I hope to see more of that explored and continued! Thank you for this beautiful series. I love it so so much and I ha..."

Aw, you!!! Thank you again!!!!!

message 18: by Darynda (new)

Krystal wrote: "Hi ! I adore this series ! Do you have an idea of how many we can expect to come.. So far I saw there will be a 10th, will there be more?"

Hi Krystal! 9-11 have sold, but the series is ongoing, so hopefully many more!

Thanks!

message 19: by Darynda (new)

Dominy wrote: "What was your first glimpse into how you wanted Charlie to be? Or is she like an amalgam of many people rolled into one?"

Hi Dominy! Charley, out of the blue, popped into my head in all her glory in one fell swoop as I was laying in bed one morning. I knew right then and there I would be published. She was just too delicious!

However, in retrospect, I do tend to think she is a combination of Buffy, Stephanie Plum, and Lorelei Gilmore.

Thanks, love!

message 20: by Adrina (new)

Adrina (adrinaelaine) | 3 comments How far in depth do your chapter layouts go before your write them? Are they bullet points with a brief analysis of what needs to be in the chapter, or are they more like detailed paragraphs for each bullet point that needs to go into the chapter? How do you personally, decide what is relevant to the story and what can be cut? Also, do you end up cutting a lot of stuff at the editing stage or are your chapter layouts well situated to avoid cuts?

Your books are so endearing and fun to read! Reading your books makes me feel like I am visiting a good friend (with a cup of coffee in hand of course!). Thank you so much for creating friendships and a world that is so easy to become absorbed into!

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda Parish | 78 comments I couldn't have said it better myself Adriana. And I would like to know the answer to that question also.
Lori

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda Parish | 78 comments Adrina. Sorry auto correct misspelled your name and I didn't catholic it on time.

message 23: by Kira (new)

Kira | 15 comments @ Mrs. Jones, I love the 8th book! Seriously I think this one is the best out of all in this series. I love the build up, the twists and revelations. BTW, will we have more of Mr. Wong's true character and nature and Donovan and his gang in book 9? :)

message 24: by Adrina (new)

Adrina (adrinaelaine) | 3 comments Lori wrote: "Adrina. Sorry auto correct misspelled your name and I didn't catholic it on time."

Hahaha, I swear even my dad spell my name wrong sometimes! :) Thank you!

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Parish | 78 comments Your welcome. After I posted the apologies I noticed the catholic instead of catch it. It was late so I just gave up lol.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (annatalyn) | 3 comments It's absolutely amazing to see an author willing to connect and answer her fans' questions Thank you so much Ms Jones!

message 27: by Darynda (new)

Adrina wrote: "How far in depth do your chapter layouts go before your write them? Are they bullet points with a brief analysis of what needs to be in the chapter, or are they more like detailed paragraphs for ea..."

Thanks so much, Adrina!!! My outlines are very detailed. They are bullet points with the subject of the scene, i.e. CHARLEY CHECKS OUT THE DRY CLEANING BUSINESS, and then under that are more detailed bullets, some paragraphs, some complete scenes that I've written as they've come to me.

They are so detailed and thought out, but I do tend to delete a scene or two, possibly an entire thread, depending mostly on time and the question: "Does this really add to the story? Does it move it forward?" Often with those scenes the answer is no.

message 28: by Darynda (new)

Lori wrote: "I couldn't have said it better myself Adriana. And I would like to know the answer to that question also.
Lori"

Hi Lori! I meant to add that my outlines are usually between 40 and 60 pages. I am lost without them though I swear I'm going to learn by the seat of my pants. Pantsers amaze me. Hehehe.

message 29: by Darynda (new)

Kira wrote: "@ Mrs. Jones, I love the 8th book! Seriously I think this one is the best out of all in this series. I love the build up, the twists and revelations. BTW, will we have more of Mr. Wong's true chara..."

Thank you so much, Kira!!! No Mr. Wong or Donovan in book nine, but that's not to say they won't be back! Mostly in the spinoff I have planned when the Charley books wind down. Hopefully that won't be for a long time, tho!

message 30: by Darynda (new)

Anna wrote: "It's absolutely amazing to see an author willing to connect and answer her fans' questions Thank you so much Ms Jones!"

Thank YOU, Anna!!!

message 31: by Tamran (new)

Tamran | 10 comments Ok. Who's the cover model. I need to know LOL

message 32: by Emani (new)

Emani  | 10 comments Darynda wrote: "Emani wrote: "On a scale of 1 to I want to hang you upside down, is Micheal mad at Charley?"

Well, let's just say he is... keeping an eye on her. We don't see him in 8th, but he comes back in 9th..."

I can't wait to meet him.

Thank you for an awesome series.

message 33: by Randie (new)

Randie Neiss | 1 comments How long must we wait? Lol

message 34: by Lib (Enthusiastic reader, occasional reviewer) (last edited Jul 29, 2015 05:41AM) (new)

Lib (Enthusiastic reader, occasional reviewer) | 5 comments This might be a really dumb question with a really obvious answer, BUT... at the end of book 7 Rocket gets angry and says he had to erase 3 names, but none of them were Charley's.. And he said Reyes did die, so who were they?? I can only come up with the kid (Jessica's nephew) and Ubie... Who was the third? Cookie and her headache??

If this is just me not remembering, or if it's answered in Book 8, I apologise. I have to admit, this is the first time I have put off reading a book (book 8) purely because there is a wait before book 9, as I am learning that I can be a very impatient person when I really want to know what happens! If I'm truly honest, the fact that you don't know how many books will be in the series yet causes me anxiety! It's just so good so I want to know how it all turns out... now! The wait is going to kill me! Haha

message 35: by Lib (Enthusiastic reader, occasional reviewer) (last edited Jul 29, 2015 02:14AM) (new)

Lib (Enthusiastic reader, occasional reviewer) | 5 comments Love your work btw.. And I do hope this is the right place to voice this question. It does have spoilers galore and the thread has been silent for a while, so happy to delete if requested

Lib (Enthusiastic reader, occasional reviewer) | 5 comments Libby wrote: "This might be a really dumb question with a really obvious answer, BUT... at the end of book 7 Rocket gets angry and says he had to erase 3 names, but none of them were Charley's.. And he said Reye..."

Oo! Was it her Dad?? Did she heal him without realising?

message 37: by Kira (new)

Kira | 15 comments Libby wrote: "This might be a really dumb question with a really obvious answer, BUT... at the end of book 7 Rocket gets angry and says he had to erase 3 names, but none of them were Charley's.. And he said Reye..."

As Libby answered, Charley did heal his dad, remember he was supposed to be terminally ill right? But he was miraculously healed, but he still died in a different way. I think it was fate evening the odds.

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  (witchhazel) | 22 comments Everyone I saw was angry at the "eighth grave" book but it was actually one of my favorites! I love all of them but I laughed (out loud) at something on every page. Thank you once again Daryanda Jones for helping to take my mind off of my situation at home! Hope you're doing well.

Lib (Enthusiastic reader, occasional reviewer) | 5 comments Kira wrote: "Libby wrote: "This might be a really dumb question with a really obvious answer, BUT... at the end of book 7 Rocket gets angry and says he had to erase 3 names, but none of them were Charley's.. An..."

So it was her Dad? That was me attempting to figure it out and answer my own question... Now I might have to re-read that section and see how she might have inadvertently healed him... from memory she poked him in the chest when she was getting cranky with him... (??maybe??) my memory isn't exactly renowned for it's accuracy.

message 40: by Kira (new)

Kira | 15 comments Libby wrote: "Kira wrote: "Libby wrote: "This might be a really dumb question with a really obvious answer, BUT... at the end of book 7 Rocket gets angry and says he had to erase 3 names, but none of them were C..."

I remember there was a hugging scene between him and her dad when they made up, I think 'that' triggered her healing his dad. (Not sure of the exact scene, but the gist something like that.)