Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > I've got some time to beta read...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Harrison (chrisharrison_2013) | 8 comments I'll have time soon to beta read for full length fiction. I'm not a professional editor or anything like that so I'd be reading as a reader: ie story interest, compelling characters, plot holes etc.

In order to provide a decent critique of what you've written I'd prefer to read something that I would only read 'in real life.' So, with that in mind I WON'T be able to read the following:

romance/erotica
historical sagas
epic fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones type fantasy)
Young Adult
childrens
gory horror (Saw, Hostel type stuff)

(To avoid confusion: NONE of the above.)

This is a first come first served arrangement, but let me know what your timeframe is and what you want in terms of feedback and we can take it from there.

To give an indication of what I do read 'in real life,' I've read and enjoyed Martin Amis, Milan Kundera, Peter Ackroyd, Umberto Eco, Stieg Larsson's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and the Da Vinci Code.

Chris

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Hill | 3 comments Chris,I would like someone to read & comment on my draft of sailing from the Great Lakes to New York, down to Miami and into the Bahamas. It was a 14 month trip with my wife. 200 pages 10 Chapters. I have written and had published a 15,000mile, 14 month trip with my wife and 2 children to the exotic atolls and south sea islands and home via Alaska - see www.patrickhillcruising.com
Thanks, Patrick

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Harrison (chrisharrison_2013) | 8 comments Patrick wrote: "Chris,I would like someone to read & comment on my draft of sailing from the Great Lakes to New York, down to Miami and into the Bahamas. It was a 14 month trip with my wife. 200 pages 10 Chapters...."

Hi Patrick. Is it fiction? I'm looking to read fiction, not really autobiography. Sorry.

Chris

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (goodreadscomeditingrn) | 7 comments Patrick, please check out my website www.EditingRN.com and touch base if you think you'd be interested in any of my services. I perform manuscript evals and all levels of editing and this sounds like a book I'd pick up off the shelf for enjoyment :)
Thanks & good luck!
-Katie

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace | 27 comments Hi Chris!
I was wondering if you would be interested in beta-reading my recently completed novel, THE ASSEMBLAGE. It is the first draft, and the first novel that I have written, and comes to about 93,000 words. It is sci-fi/dystopian, similar to books like Divergent and the Hunger Games. Would you be willing to beta-read it? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks,
Grace

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Harrison (chrisharrison_2013) | 8 comments Grace wrote: "Hi Chris!
I was wondering if you would be interested in beta-reading my recently completed novel, THE ASSEMBLAGE. It is the first draft, and the first novel that I have written, and comes to about ..."

Hi Grace

I just sent you a direct message.

Chris

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Rapoza | 17 comments Hi Chris,

I have two short fiction stories (5,000 and 7,000 words) and I also have an 80,000 word manuscript, THE VISITORS that I am seeking feedback on (characters, plot and pacing).

The genre of my work is thriller, with a small amount of paranormal/sci. fi.

Here's a brief description of THE VISITORS:

DR. NICK RANDALL is an archeologist on the fringes of the scientific community who believes that mankind isn't alone in the universe ... or on this planet. When a mysterious benefactor funds his research, Randall departs on an expedition to find the lost city of Vilcabamba. Hidden deep in the Amazon, Randall believes this legendary city holds proof that his controversial theory is true. Upon arriving at the ruins, he mysteriously disappears.

Randall's beautiful daughter SAMANTHA learns of her father's disappearance from his mentor DR. FRANCISCO ANDRADE who calls Sam and pleads for her help. An accomplished archeologist herself, Sam must decide if she will set aside her career and search for the man she blames for her mother's death. Reluctantly, she agrees and flies to Peru to search for her father.

But someone else is looking for her father as well. Francis Dumond, a shadowy man with a dark past and unlimited resources, will stop at nothing to find Vilcabamba and use its alien technology to control the world. It's a race against time to see if Sam can find her father, prove his theories and stop Dumond before a stratovolcano destroys Vilcabamba and all of them as well.

Please let me know if you would be interested in reading any of my work.

Thanks,
Bob

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Harrison (chrisharrison_2013) | 8 comments I have several books on the go at the moment, so won't be accepting any other requests just yet. I'll leave a new message when I have time to read any more.

Chris

message 9: by Deb (new)

Deb Rhodes (debrhodes) | 137 comments Looking for an experienced beta reader with good turnaround time? I have a few openings for novel length manuscripts up to 118,00 words.

Visit my website for pricing and other info:

http://betterbetareads.weebly.com/