魔法覺醒 (魔法覺醒, #1) 魔法覺醒 discussion

Books about witches and fairies for Adults

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Robin in Vermont Does anyone have any recommendations for books or series for adults that have witches and fairies (I've read Harkness, Galenorn, Emily Croy Barker, Laurell K. Hamilton, etc.) I'm looking for serious fiction as well as PR. I'm only finding YA stuff. Any thoughts?

Izzy Robin in Vermont wrote: "Does anyone have any recommendations for books or series for adults that have witches and fairies (I've read Harkness, Galenorn, Emily Croy Barker, Laurell K. Hamilton, etc.) I'm looking for serio..."

This is going to be a long reply.

- Please make your profile public. We can't see what you've read, or what your likes/dislikes are.
- I'm a fan of urban fantasy and adult paranormal romance so most of the books I've listed are of that genre.

Fae
I've compiled a bookshelf on my profile which may be of interest to you. All books in the shelf are about/heavily feature faeries. If you're also interested in books that have any secondary characters as fae, let me know.

Some are YA and even children's books but if you help me out by telling me your likes/dislikes, I could pick out a few books which you may enjoy. The shelf is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Witches
Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1) by H.P. Mallory Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch #1) by Kimberly Frost Witch in the House by Jenna McKnight Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1) by Linda Robertson Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #1) by Mindy Klasky Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen

You can use the Listopia feature and book blogs to help you out.
Hope this helped.

Robin in Vermont Thanks so much for your recommendations! I'll check out Sandy Williams for sure.

Pernille Olsen The series "Monster Haven" by R.L. Naqiun has about every supernatural create imagined. It is a completed series and I personally loved it. It is funny and quirky.

If you like funny heroines you should check out the "Charlie Davidson" series, there aren't any faries or withces, but it is a great supernatural series.

A series with angels and some faries but no withches is "Black Wings" by Christina Henry.

The serie "A Modern Witch" have no fairies but lots and lots of witches.

message 5: by Izzy (last edited May 11, 2015 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Robin in Vermont wrote: "Thanks so much for your recommendations! I'll check out Sandy Williams for sure."

You're welcome!
I'm a big fan of urban fantasy and paranormal romance but I still have a hard time finding faeries as a love interest.
After much searching, I decided to take a chance and buy books from debut/not as well known authors. The book by Sandy Williams was a lovely surprise for me.

Sunda Harkness makes oblique references to Anne Rice's books in her trilogy -- for witches, The Witching Hour & related may appeal. If memory serves, (and much like the All Souls trilogy) both witches and vampires figure heavily. Happy hunting!

Robin in Vermont You are all awesome! Thanks for the recommendation!

message 8: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Hi, Robin! If you haven't read the Rachel Morgan (or the Hollows) series by Kim Harrison, you should! I actually stumbled across this one, when the first book (Dead Witch Walking) was offered as a Free Friday selection. Besides witches, the series features pixies, vampires, werewolves, demons, banshees, and leprechauns. Happy reading!

Robin in Vermont Rhonda wrote: "Hi, Robin! If you haven't read the Rachel Morgan (or the Hollows) series by Kim Harrison, you should! I actually stumbled across this one, when the first book (Dead Witch Walking) was offered as a..."

Yep, read 'em all. But thanks for the reminder. Might go pull those up again!

Robin in Vermont I just started "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J. Maas, and I'm loving it! It's about fairies and is beautifully narrated by Jennifer Ikeda, the woman who recorded the All Souls Trilogy. Her voice provides gravitas. It seems to be NA more than YA, which is great. I really wanted something tailored more for adults where the lead characters are older than 17!

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series.

Shaye I would recommend the You Slay Me, Kelley Armstrong Otherworld Story Bundle and Succubus Blues. All of these are series and very entertaining.

message 13: by Christine (last edited May 21, 2015 09:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine If no one has mentioned them yet, Freda Warrington's Aertherial Tales are great adult Faerie books.

Midsummer Night

Grail of the Summer Stars

Elfland

Robin in Vermont Thanks to everyone who has made recommendations! (I love Freda Warrington, but never heard of the Aertherial Tales, so that's a great tip, Christine -- Thanks!)

You all might enjoy Sarah J. Maas' "A Court of Thorns and Roses," which is a spectacular fey book and first in a new series. It's also adult in tone, and read by Jennifer Ikeda, who also read the Discovery of Witches trilogy. I'm half-way through it, and it's amazing. Definitely one for my re-read hoard!

Christine YW Robin! Can't wait to check out some of these titles, also. I am sooo with you, always looking for faerie/ witch books that are decidedly NOT YA. Thanks!

message 16: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Robin in Vermont wrote: "Thanks to everyone who has made recommendations! (I love Freda Warrington, but never heard of the Aertherial Tales, so that's a great tip, Christine -- Thanks!)

You all might enjoy Sarah J. Maas' ..."

Surprisingly, I enjoyed Maas' 'Throne of Glass', #1 in the series, as it's a YA epic fantasy. However, I felt that the first book was the strongest. The series soon shifted its focus on the love triangle instead of the plot. It's revealed that the fae also play a part in this series.

Her other series that you've suggested has been on my to-read but I'm planning to wait until the price is reduced.
I'm not particularly keen on the New Adult market but I'll see how it goes.

Robin in Vermont Sunda wrote: "Harkness makes oblique references to Anne Rice's books in her trilogy -- for witches, The Witching Hour & related may appeal. If memory serves, (and much like the All Souls trilogy) both witches an..."

I wish I could get an unabridged audiobook version of The Witching Hour. I really enjoyed that book!

Sunda Robin in Vermont wrote: "Sunda wrote: "Harkness makes oblique references to Anne Rice's books in her trilogy -- for witches, The Witching Hour & related may appeal. If memory serves, (and much like the All Souls trilogy) b..."

I did as well. :) I will keep my fingers crossed for you on the audiobook front.....

Jessica if no one else has suggested itMelissa Marr writes really great stuff about the darker side of faerie. Its marketed as YA but i honestly consider it adult reading because of the content

message 20: by M (new) - rated it 2 stars

M Scott Check out Charles DeLint!

Robin in Vermont M wrote: "Check out Charles DeLint!"

Thanks M! I actually just grabbed a bunch of his stuff from Scribd! He's new to me, so I'm excited about this. I've heard great things about his books!

Ailhlin Have you read Carol Goodman's Fairwick trilogy, that's definitely an adult series.

Robin in Vermont Ailhlin wrote: "Have you read Carol Goodman's Fairwick trilogy, that's definitely an adult series."

Mary wrote: "Ailhlin wrote: "Have you read Carol Goodman's Fairwick trilogy, that's definitely an adult series."

No, but are they out of print? Couldnt find them on Amazon or on Scribd. I'll keep looking!

Robin in Vermont Ah, I get it -- she's Juliet Dark. Yes, I have them on audio, and they're great.

Just picked up Blythwood and Ravencliff, on Scribd under Carol Goodman. Thanks for the rec.

Natalie C Uprooted by Naomi Novik is an amazing book I've read recently about witches/magic. There is inexplicit sex but nothing distracting from the overall book. But it's only out in hardcover so if price is a concern you may want to wait for the paperback or get it at a library.

message 26: by Robin in Vermont (last edited Jul 05, 2015 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin in Vermont Thanks Natalie! FYI: I found this book on audio for free on Scribd. They don't have the ebook, unfortunately.

Thanks for the rec!

Robin in Vermont Christine wrote: "If no one has mentioned them yet, Freda Warrington's Aertherial Tales are great adult Faerie books.

Scribd has Midsummer Night on ebook. Thanks for the rec!

message 28: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara War for the Oaks by Emma Bull is fantastic. And set in my hometown! ;)

Robin in Vermont L wrote: "You might like the latest Marcus Wrath Adventures
-Merlin 2035
-Giganteus Rex
-Merlin's Wish
Uses genuine spells from the Craft, by the Order of Hecate. Amazon.com"

Those are not really what I'm looking for, but thanks for the info!