Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins → Start Date: June 17th, 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Please join Hannah and I if you can!

message 2: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I really hope this book is good.

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments did I put the date in wrong?
is it 15th? or 18th?? Ugh LOL

message 4: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments You said the 15th but if you want to keep at the 18th that's fine too.

message 5: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments fixed! I knew I got it wrong! sorry lol :)

message 6: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I'm planning on starting this on Wednesday.

message 7: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments oh okay! I just started it but I'll stop :)

I'll be back Wednesday!

message 8: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I will be starting and hopefully finishing this today/tonight.

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments Ik this is late but can I join? I've never had partners that actually read the book lol

message 10: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments Yes you can join.

message 11: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments of course Caroline and Dany,we'd love you guys to join!

I'm only through chapter 1 but I'll read more tonight (in about 4 hours)

Hopefully we'll be reading at the same time and can update and chat!!

I think we'll love this one. Chapter one is REALLY good!

message 12: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Jun 17, 2015 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I'm up to page 107. I'm not sure what I think yet.

Rachel - (view spoiler) Right now I just don't like her.

Megan - (view spoiler)

Anna - (view spoiler)

message 13: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I'm not sure where I'm at - I have an ebook
but it sounds like we're in the same spot! lol

Rachel (view spoiler)

Megan(view spoiler)

Anna(view spoiler)

Interesting how these two stories touch. I'm curious to see what Rachel does now that she knows she's seen Megan and possibly might know something that's going on....

BUT (view spoiler)

message 14: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I'm finished with this book. I have mixed feelings about this book.

Rachel - (view spoiler)

Anna - (view spoiler)

Megan - (view spoiler)

Scott - (view spoiler)

Tom - (view spoiler)

The Ending - (view spoiler)

Susan Qin | 10 comments Just get started^^

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) It would take about a month for my library to get this out of all the holds, so... Maybe I'll join ya later.

message 17: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments That's why I bought my copy. My library system had over 400 holds.

message 18: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments ahahah!!! I got on hold MONTHS ago!! I think my library still has almost 400 holds too.....
I got it as an audio from Scribd as a back up until I got it but I got it in time.

:)

message 19: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Hannah wrote: "I'm finished with this book. I have mixed feeling..."

wow that was quick
I'll read more soon and post. just 3 stars, hmmmm...

message 20: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments It was hard at times to like this book. The characters were a train wreck. The thing that saved this book was the ending. I did not see it going that way.

message 21: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Well...we lost power and are losing light
I'll have to pick it back up tomorrow darn it :(

Susan Qin | 10 comments I get to the chapter that Rathel messes up with Cathy's house and is trying to move back with her mum. Poor girl, she needs help! It is her not Megan needs a theropist.

Susan Qin | 10 comments oh mine! About Rathel's blank drunk memory and Megan's missing, does Rathel kill Megan?!

message 24: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Susan wrote: "oh mine! About Rathel's blank drunk memory and Megan's missing, does Rathel kill Megan?!"

right?? that was my FIRST thought too!

Susan Qin | 10 comments Trisha wrote: "Susan wrote: "oh mine! About Rathel's blank drunk memory and Megan's missing, does Rathel kill Megan?!"

right?? that was my FIRST thought too!"

That means no. Alright, that's a relief. I am up to the Detectives' interview with Rathel-the result cannot be that obvious. Everyone,except Rathel, seems suspected, Scott, Anna,the therapist,even Tara, ...

message 26: by Dany (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments NVM i found it :p im at like page 40 but I really really like reading from Megan's pov now idk

message 27: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Just popping in to say that if by "finding the PDF version online" means searching for it and reading it without paying for it, that is illegal and groups can be punished for that. If you aren't able to pay for a copy, utilize the library! Thank you. By illegally downloading books and reading them without paying, authors and publishers are severely hurt.

message 28: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Just popping in to say that if by "finding the PDF version online" means searching for it and reading it without paying for it, that is illegal and groups can be punished for that. If you aren't ab..."

hmmm...I think the comment this was directed at got deleted. at least I think so. Thanks for popping in Jacquelyn, and reminding everyone!! illegally downloading is BAD! DON'T DO IT!

message 29: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yeah.. I deleted them. No problem. I just want people to know that it is wrong and really hurts authors.

message 30: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Susan wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Susan wrote: "oh mine! About Rathel's blank drunk memory and Megan's missing, does Rathel kill Megan?!"

right?? that was my FIRST thought too!"

That means no. Alright, that's a rel..."

Oh no, I'm not there yet. I think I was at your exact spot.
I'm picking this back up now but as an audio book...so It will take me a little while to finish it.

Susan Qin | 10 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Just popping in to say that if by "finding the PDF version online" means searching for it and reading it without paying for it, that is illegal and groups can be punished for that. If you aren't ab..."

I'm sorry that my words hurt somedody. Always have my friends borrow my paper copy books,and since I bought ebook this time and cannot share,so I asked. What does"finding the PDF version online" mean anyway?

message 32: by Dany (last edited Jun 22, 2015 03:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Just popping in to say that if by "finding the PDF version online" means searching for it and reading it without paying for it, that is illegal and groups can be punished for that. If you aren't ab..."

I live in lebanon, theres one library close to where I live and it has only arabic books (just like the other ones) , I don't have the opportunity that you do and I really love reading, I have no bookstores close to me so I order online

message 33: by Dany (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments I see where you're coming from but I'm going to do what I have to do to keep reading, I feel so attacked I wanted to discuss the book but nvm

message 34: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I wasn't attacking you. I was just letting you know that a group can get in trouble for it so please don't announce that you are today. I feel truly sorry for anyone who doesn't have libraries or any other way to access books. Truly, I do. I wasn't attacking you. Please consider staying and discussing the book. I am sure they would love to have you.

message 35: by Dany (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments Im sorry, It felt like you were making me out to be something I'm not, I really do see where you're coming from and I apologize i should have been careful. I will!

message 36: by Dany (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments (view spoiler)

Also did any of you feel connected to Rachel in the beginning? I only started liking her towards the end she isn't your typical main character lol

I honestly couldn't stand Anna(view spoiler)

What were your theories?

Susan Qin | 10 comments Up to Page133- is it a revenge of Anna's?!She disappeared herself?!

message 38: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I never really felt connected with any of the characters. I just thought they all were crazy.

message 39: by Susan (last edited Jun 23, 2015 10:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan Qin | 10 comments Hannah wrote: "I never really felt connected with any of the characters. I just thought they all were crazy."

It seems all of them are train wrecks, except for Cathy,the only loving and caring character, but who knows? Nobody is fine when we get to know them- that's the author's point, isn't it?

message 40: by Dany (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments Susan wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I never really felt connected with any of the characters. I just thought they all were crazy."

It seems all of them are train wrecks, except for Cathy,the only loving and caring cha..."

yeah, I actually loved how each person was really messed up! It was very interesting to read from these people povs, I also loved how the author tackled really dark themes like alcoholism, not being able to get children, infidelity....etc

Susan Qin | 10 comments Dany wrote: "Susan wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I never really felt connected with any of the characters. I just thought they all were crazy."

It seems all of them are train wrecks, except for Cathy,the only loving ..."

The way Rathel hiding the drinks (in milk box?!) shows the author knows well about alcoholics .

Up to P170- Megan uses the old sad baby story to seduce a man. Oh Megan Megan, shame on you! Yeah you might not as perfect as "Jess", but I thought you might be at least a cool woman

Susan Qin | 10 comments Am I the last one finished the book?
Every messed-up people and situation got a explanation at the end couple of chapter.
What about the clothes on the train track? whose is it?

message 43: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments lol No no, I still haven't finished either

sometimes it's really hard to pick this one up - especially when I'm behind in other buddy reads. I'll get back to this one soon.....

are you liking it Susan??

message 44: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new) - rated it 1 star

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments The sad thing is that this is a really popular book. After reading it I would like to know how it got so popular. I just didn't see anything so great about it.

message 45: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I know, I've seen a lot of really mixed reviews
and when I went to talk to my librarians today, another one was complaining how slow and boring this book is

I don't mind shelving it until I catch up. it sucks,I wish I could finish it and just be done with it lol

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I don't see a lot of enjoying going on… :(

Darn. Maybe I'll give it a try though… I mean, it was SO popular for a while here. I'll try to remember to post here when I read it!

message 47: by Dany (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dany A.a (itsdany3) | 167 comments Trisha wrote: "I know, I've seen a lot of really mixed reviews
and when I went to talk to my librarians today, another one was complaining how slow and boring this book is

I don't mind shelving it until I catch ..."

I think its an okay thriller, it's not mind-blowing but I was never bored, it was really engrossing at times... DOn't forget about it :p

Susan wrote: "Am I the last one finished the book?
Every messed-up people and situation got a explanation at the end couple of chapter.
What about the clothes on the train track? whose is it?"

Ikr! i think it was metaphoric im not sure :p
Someone answer this please!

message 48: by Susan (last edited Jul 04, 2015 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan Qin | 10 comments Trisha wrote: "lol No no, I still haven't finished either

sometimes it's really hard to pick this one up - especially when I'm behind in other buddy reads. I'll get back to this one soon.....

are you liking it ..."

I do enjoy this book! we are going to have a small meet-up and discuss the book this weekend, and I am glad someone from the book club recommend the book. I've been reading some reviews and find it very interesting that quite a lot people hate the book as much as those love it!

message 49: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I'm finally back to this one.

I now have the hardcover version
I've already tried audio (too slow) and I've tried ebook (too confusing to juggle)

so hopefully this goes better :)
I'll read and post tomorrow

message 50: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I'm picking this one back up tomorrow!

« previous 1