The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Polls > May - June Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (last edited May 12, 2015 11:10AM) (new)

Shelly | 51 comments Happy Spring Everyone!

In my part of the world Spring has sprung. Trees are blossoming, baby animals are appearing and the world is going through a lovely change into summer. The other half of you are heading into your winter, transitional seasons are the best.

In honour of this change, the theme for this book round is Metamorphosis. Massive changes from one thing completely into another. This theme should be loose (I'm not here to referee what counts as a metamorphosis and what doesn't) :D. We'll keep this up for a week or two and see what all of you come up with. Use your creativity. Suggest anything from classic to contemporary!

I'll start with a few ideas to get the ball rolling:

The Metamorphosis by Kafka (obviously) - Man Turns into Beetle
The Once and Future King by T.H. White - Boy turns into many animals then King
The year of the flood by Margaret Atwood - Everyone and everything has to change to survive.
Dawn (Xenogenesis #1) by Octavia E. Butler - Start of a series about the transformation of humanity

UPDATE: Nominations are Due by Friday May 15th, then I will put up the poll. Sorry about any confusion guys, it's my first time doing this. Moderator Learning!

message 2: by Hana (new)

Hana b (tzveyah) | 164 comments I'd like to submit for possibilities two books I've been meaning to read!

Dreams Underfoot- by Charles de Lint. If you like fantasy (read: if you like Neil Gaiman/Pratchett etc type stuff for sure!) I hope you've read or will look into reading Charles de Lint. This is the first book in his long running Newford series. Newford itself is a transformational town, a place where people find themselves when they are lost, and go when they need a place to hide or be understood. A town very accepting of people's (and other characters!) oddities and quirks.

Second book:
Dreamwood- by Heather Mackey. Appears to be a classic coming of age fantasy book. It's been on my to read list so I thought I'd put it forth.

Apparently I'm in a dreaming way...

message 3: by Regan (new)

Regan | 6 comments Are we no longer using the bookshelf?

message 4: by Francis (new)

Francis | 3 comments I'd like to read Year of the Flood. I read Oryx and Crake recently and I really enjoyed it.

I'm also looking forward to Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. It comes out in mid May. I think it also involves themes of metamorphosis as humanity leaves Earth and centuries or millennia in space change what people are like.

message 5: by Megan (last edited May 09, 2015 03:49PM) (new)

Megan (candystripe_legs) | 39 comments I already read Year Of The Flood, but it was great and I would happily re-read it, I forget a lot of the details. I read it before Oryx And Crake (the first book in the series) and I understood it fine, in case anyone is worried about not having read it first.

I was going to nominate Parable Of The Sower by Octavia Butler (fits the spring theme, God is Change), but I understand having two books by the same author might not work.

I nominate:
The Left Hand Of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin- a man visits a planet where people have no set gender or sex, instead they change into either a male or female body when it is time to procreate.

The Bird's Nest by Shirley Jackson- A woman suffers from multiple personalities, and changes from one to another quite suddenly.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Cooper I'd like to nominate The Shape-Changer's Wife by Sharon Shinn. It's fairly short, but completely about change.

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke would be a sci-fi classic option. The matamorphosis involved is a bit of a spoiler.

The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness is one on my to-read list.

message 7: by Melany (new)

Melany (globalbymel) I will nominate Salt Fish Girl by Larissa Lai, which features a shapeshifter who can turn into a fish, snake, and woman, and a young girl coming of age. So we get both supernatural metamorphosis and real-life metamorphosis in one!

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Allyn (soyxunxperdedor) I nominate A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas, it's about a girl, Feyre, who kills a wolf and then gets dragged into the faerie realms as payment for the wolf's life. It definitely has themes of metamorphosis, plus some literal metamorphosis.

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 51 comments The Poll is up, I think I did it wrong (looks different than other people's polls). Go vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.