812 Reading Responses discussion

May Reading Responses > 5/8-5/10: Choice

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 31 comments Mod
Choose ONE of the following:

1.) Identify and describe a symbol that you think represents your character.

2.) Describe a challenging decision that a character in your text had to make. How did it impact his/her life?

Remember to make sure that your topic sentence:
-includes important text info
-restates the key words of the question
-contains your specific answer to the question

Please consult your rubric and models to ensure that you are doing your best work!

For a “4”: Did I….
• Write a topic sentence that provided the claim and important text information, such as the title, author, and genre of my text?
• Provide background of what is happening in the text so my reader understands what I’m talking about? Did I say what was happening at the time of the quote/evidence?
• Find evidence from the text that proves that the change was important?
• Paraphrase (This shows....) and then analyze how my quote proves my claim ("This proves that ____________________was an important moment because.../This interested me because..../I disliked this because..../This changed my point of view because.....)?
• Write a conclusion sentence that restates your claim in a different way?

message 2: by Farhanali (new)

Farhanali | 35 comments In the book Buddha Boy by Kathe Koja a realistic fiction novel. The story takes place in a high school named Edward Rucher high school and the characters names are Buddha boy and Justin. The challenge that the characters faced was when Justine was hanging out the a outsider named Buddha Boy who was considered a freak. For example in the text it said "I didn't-wouldn't-speak, McManus said, "I hear you're hanging out with that freak Buddha Boy."(66) This shows that the challenges Justin had when he was hanging out with Buddha Boy and that everybody in school might soon know who he is hanging out with, and might also be considered a outsider if the word spreads out in school. This proves that this text was a important moment because it shows the challenges the character will now have to face and how it might change the characters life. This interested me because it can show how the character changes in his or her decisions making when there are big challenges that will change his or her life. Over all this text shows that the impact it had on the character and the challenges that will have a big impact on the characters life.

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Christina | 30 comments In the book, Insurgent by Veronica Roth, the symbol that represents Tris as fire which specially is a sign for a group Dauntless which she is in which represents her new life. Tris and Four search for allies and answers in Chicago while on the run from Jeanine. They are trying to find out what Tris's family sacrificed to protect themselves and why everybody is trying all they can to stop divergents since everyone assumes they are all dangerous. Tris is strong and fierce and that is why she got put in Dauntless. For example, "“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.” (32) This shows that being free is all she ever wanted and she gets to live her life. This prove Tris is fierce and risk taker. Therefore, the symbol that represents Tris is fire because she takes risk.