Kindle Paperwhite User's Guide Kindle Paperwhite User's Guide discussion

Kindle Freeze Repair Code 2

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

PissedOffKindleUser I have just had a most frustrating experience with my Kindle and Amazon service centre that I want to share it with this forum and hopefully help other people who are liable to fall into the same problems I did. My Kindle froze the other day with a "Repair Code 2" screen. I had numerous frustrating calls to Amazon call centre all ending in "Your Kindle is out of warranty and it has obviously had a hardware failure and we would like to offer you a discount on an upgrade to a refurbished unit". I was so livid, I work in software and I saw 100% sure my unit had only had a software failure due to an update to the operating system Amazon had pushed out! I finally found a very simple fix to my problem, described here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/commen...

All you need to do is create a dummy file in the base of your file system called DO_FACTORY_RESTORE and the unit reset itself (and reverted to the old version of software too).

The conspiracy is why is this fix only described on Russian and Chinese web sites. I had been googling for a solution and not found anything!!!

Amazon's call centre is an arm of their sales organisation, not an aid for users in need. They were adamant my unit had to be thrown away and a new one purchased ... after their new operating system bricked my unit ... I am still so angry at them!

Darren Had it happen to me under warranty and they fixed it for free. Going to pay the extra 20 for a two year warranty if I ever buy a new kindle again.

Patrick Kelly It's especially frustrating when the customer doesn't bother to tell you what device they're talking about.

PissedOffKindleUser The clue is in the title, but it was a PaperWhite 2 if that really matters.

Patrick Kelly Of course it matters. I thought it was a Kindle Fire. Kindle makes ereaders and tablets. They're totally different devices. What was the "clue"?

Patrick Kelly Patrick wrote: "Of course it matters. I thought it was a Kindle Fire. Kindle makes ereaders and tablets. They're totally different devices. What was the "clue"?"

Nevermind. I found the "clue" by changing my browsers formatting. My apologies. I didn't realize we were discussing the Paperwhite Users Guide.

Jennifer Grubbs I had same issue. Kindle support was horrible!!!!! I spoke to two different associates and both were rude. Both found every reason not to help me with the issues. They said they couldn't help me even before doing any attempt to help troubleshoot. I will NEVER purchase a kindle of any kind and we are currently a house that owns 6!!!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura I just had this problem yesterday. While the customer service people (CS and Tech) were polite, they would not admit it is a software issue which it clearly is. I was told my warranty was not in effect because I purchased this at a discount for the PREVIOUS DEFECTIVE Paperwhite. So if I take the 20% discount and purchase another one, does that mean there is no warranty?

"Tips" they gave me is to never charge a kindle for more than 2 hours and using only household current, NEVER charge it or read it while connected to computer.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura I am trying the file and reboot factory reset steps. I have nothing to lose at this point.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Not getting it to work. "Create an empty file in the root directory DO_FACTORY_RESTORE." Did that
What am I doing wrong?

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Tried rebooting both plugged/connected and disconnected. Will go back to tree loading screen several times but never engaging and restarting. Returns to Repair Code 2 screen.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Still has not reset

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene i have the same problem but do not know how to get into the root directory and how do you disconnect safely

message 14: by Yvette (new)

Yvette yes! this fix worked for me. click the reddit link mentioned above for more info on the fix

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Continuing to try and fix. The "discount" Amazon promised me on a new kindle is not honored when the kindle is already on sale. I made the folder and added it but that did not fix the problem. I tried draining the battery by continued restarts and leaving it on. And now I am again trying to get it to show as connected to my computer. Not having any success.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Riley This has happened to me three times, with three different kindles. To say I'm fed up with their lack of help would be an understatement of the first magnitude. The first time it happened, I found and used the 'do_factory_restore' fix and it worked. Today, two different kindles crashed with the same Repair Code 2 message and I tried the fix again but sadly, it hasn't worked on either of them. I have serious issues with how unreliable kindles are as I'm currently watching my 17th in 6 years die a repair code 2 death. If anyone has any other potential fixes I'd be grateful if you could let me have them. I'll try almost anything but I am absolutely not buying another kindle. I have a kobo which is still going happily along, which is the sort of thing I expect of a three year old device. Sadly, I haven't had a kindle last more than 10 months yet, most crash at 6 months or so. My Palm is still going strong and it's 16 years old. All it's cost me is a new battery 6 years ago, when I got my first kindle. Whatever happened to reliability and customers getting value for money?