Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train > The Reading Experience - MEN vs. WOMEN

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited May 07, 2015 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Would this be a different reading experience for men than for women?

Would a woman see things between the lines or understand the female psyche better than a man, therefore getting a different experience from the book?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Yes, I think it would be a different experience for a man than for a woman but that is probably true for all books or movies.
Since all 3 narrators in this book are female, we are definitely getting the female perspective on everything that happens. I think a woman might be a bit more intuitive to that but I think a man could still enjoy this book - couldn't he?

message 3: by Karen (last edited May 09, 2015 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I think men readers would believe the narrators are whiners and the cause of their own problems. Would the man reader just think ah, Tom wanted some extra curricular activity and Megan just got toooooo needy. "It was an accident I didn't mean/want to kill her". I believe some men would be irritated as men are very often portrayed as the "bad" guy. Not sure too many men would like this novel.