What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Chapter book from the 80's about dogs that are friends. Told from dogs point of view.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taunya (new)

Taunya | 7 comments I read it in the 80's. I think it was a series, maybe Scholastic, about a pair of dogs that are friends that are trying to survive in the woods. One of the dogs was either a sheltie or a collie, I can't remember the other dog breed. The series was told from the dogs point of view. Thanks for any suggestions!

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Could it be something by Bill Wallace? I must have read "Snot Stew" a dozen times (kitten pov) but he writes a lot of books from dogs' points of views.

message 4: by Taunya (last edited May 09, 2015 11:58PM) (new)

Taunya | 7 comments Thank you both, but it's not either of those suggestions. I thought it might have been Bill Wallace, but after looking at all his books, I didn't see it.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34343 comments Mod
Taunya, are there any humans in the story?

What kinds of problems/dangers/animals do the dogs encounter in the woods?

Where do the dogs live, where do they come from?

Do you remember the cover art - cartoony, photograph, painted/watercolors, black-and-white, etc.?

message 6: by kvon (new)

kvon | 56 comments The Incredible Journey had two dogs and a cat. How do you feel about cats?

message 7: by Taunya (new)

Taunya | 7 comments I feel like the cover art was illustrated, in the same vein as so many Scholastic books of the 80's (the Bunnicula cover specifically comes to mind). I don't remember a cat having a role in the story line. I feel like the sheltie was a family pet that somehow became separated and in its search for their family and hooked up with a stray. They spent a lot of time in the woods, I don't remember many urban descriptions. Additionally, I think one of the dogs was injured in a bear trap maybe?

It's hard to know what I read in the book vs. what I picked up from similar stories like The Fox and the Hound. I'm just pretty sure that one of the dogs was a sheltie or collie (the reason I wanted the book was because I had a pet sheltie).

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments A Dog's Way Home is about a sheltie that gets separated from his owner and for a while (view spoiler) but it's more recent.

message 9: by Taunya (new)

Taunya | 7 comments Thanks Kate. I saw that book too, and while it sounds sooooo close, the publishing date is too recent. In fact, it was so close I wondered if it was a reprint. Doesn't appear to be.

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments There's a Listopia list--Dog's Eye View--for books told from the dog's PoV. Maybe it'll have your book? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 12: by Taunya (new)

Taunya | 7 comments Wow, what a perfect list for what I'm looking for, thanks for sharing! Unfortunately I didn't see the book. There were only a handful that were older thank the 90's. Looked at Nop's Trials as well and that's not it either. Is this the point where I start to wonder if I dreamed the book? :)

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited May 21, 2015 07:37PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Is it aimed at middle grades? That's what I think of when I think of Scholastic. (I guess that's what you meant by Chapter book.)

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Taunya, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Taunya, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.