The 2015 Book Genre Challenge discussion

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
This topic is about The Golden Compass
Group Reads > May Group Read - Steampunk (The Golden Compass)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Wow, I can't believe this one won!! I loved this series when I read it, but it's been so long I'm excited to read it again!! It's such an interesting version of steampunk mixed with fantasy!! What do you guys think so far??

message 2: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new) - added it

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments OMG YES!!!! I bought the boxset when I started college, this year I finished my first major and I'm halfway through my second (imagine how long ago I bought the books) NOW I WILL FINALLY READ THEM YAY!

Rhia (rhiareads...) (rhiasaurus) I've read this series 3 or 4 times since I was a kid and I adore them so more than happy to read them again this month! Gotta get through some of Return of the King and Everything That Makes You first though :)

message 4: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Wow that's amazing!! I've read them a few times too, I do love them. There was a movie too right? Was it good? I don't remember it at all haha.

Rhia (rhiareads...) (rhiasaurus) Noo the movie was terrible compared to the book (surprise surprise, eh?) although tbh if you hadn't read any of the series it was probably quite good! Hoping I can actually find time to do any reading at all this month, I'm working so much :(

Frogli | 75 comments I have to admit having not read the books I didn't think the film was that awful, although now that I have read the book don't remember much of the film!

Really enjoyed Northern Lights, now reading The Subtle Knife, no idea why I put off reading them for so long.

message 7: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Yeah, don't worry Rhia! I have 3 more AP exams this week, and then I'll finally get a chance to catch up on reading!!

And YAY, I'm glad you're enjoying the Subtle Knife Frogli!

message 8: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new) - added it

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Same as Renuka, I have exams this week, so I will only be able to read this book next weekend :( but I'm really looking forward to it!

Frogli | 75 comments Good luck to everyone having exams this week :)

Finished The Subtle Knife because I decided I really didn't want to talk to people yesterday so stayed indoors reading.

Rhia (rhiareads...) (rhiasaurus) Yes good luck to all with exams :) hopefully I will have time to start Golden Compass tomorrow!! :D so excited to be rereading such a wonderful series.

@Frogli how are you enjoying them so far?? :)

Rhia (rhiareads...) (rhiasaurus) Yes good luck to all with exams :) hopefully I will have time to start Golden Compass tomorrow!! :D so excited to be rereading such a wonderful series.

@Frogli how are you enjoying them so far?? :)

message 12: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new) - added it

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Thanks guys! I'm done with 3, I have 2 more this week and 2 more next week! UGH I'M SO TIRED! But I have terrible self control, so I already started The Golden Compass and I'm loving it so far, I love the daemon concept and the intrigue!

message 13: by Frogli (last edited May 12, 2015 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frogli | 75 comments I'm really enjoying them! I am currently reading the Kite Runner (which I've also been meaning to read for years) but after that will get cracking on The Amber Spyglass.

You should also check out Once Upon a Time in the North if you can find it (I borrowed a friend's copy) I read it as a prequel, it's not necessary to enjoy the trilogy but it is nice to see how Lee Scoresby & Iorek Byrnison met.

message 14: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Silvia wrote: "Thanks guys! I'm done with 3, I have 2 more this week and 2 more next week! UGH I'M SO TIRED! But I have terrible self control, so I already started The Golden Compass and I'm loving it so far, I l..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it!! I always, always wanted a daemon of my own!!

What do you guys think your daemon would take the shape of?

message 15: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new) - added it

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Oh I love that question Renuka! I would love if my daemon was a dog or an owl. Those are my two favorite animals (besides cows but how weird it would be if my daemon was a cow LOL imagine that).

message 16: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments M wrote: "Euggh, I swear the worst part of the exams is that I don't get to read this book with all of you :( I just can't seem to find any space in my head for books right now. I'd hope my daemon would be s..."

Haha I would hope the same, but it'd definitely end up being something tiny hahaha. I would think maybe something fast and graceful, because I'm a dancer. That would be cool haha. And don't worry, lately it's been tough for everyone to participate. Hopefully, once June starts, everybody will have more free time! It's just a fun challenge, no pressure.

Maggie (thebookjockey) | 20 comments I'm a little behind in starting because I wanted to finish other books first, but I just read the first chapter and The Golden Compass seems great so far! I'm gonna try to finish Julius Caesar before I really get into it, but I'm excited. I bought a His Dark Materials omnibus years ago and never got around to it.

And I'll get back to you on your question about daemons once I read a bit more!

message 18: by Wafa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wafa Finished this book.

I really like it. The idea of dust, daemon, parallel universe excite me 8>

Watched the film version, nicole kidman rocks that Mrs. Coulter character.

Frogli | 75 comments You know, for some reason I quite fancy having a fox daemon which means I would definitely end up with a frog just to spite me lol

message 20: by Shivangi (new)

Shivangi (stixer) | 25 comments I loved reading this book again, I remember really wanting a daemon when I first read the series, and now I want one even more... I think mine would be some sort of cat, though I wouldn't mind a fox or a wolf either.

I really like the idea of the Alethiometer, since it mixes science with something close to fortunetelling.

Rhia (rhiareads...) (rhiasaurus) I like to think my daemon would be a cat or maybe some kind of bird but preferably something fluffy :)

Finish The Amber Spyglass a couple days ago, got to say this is definitely still one of my favourite series! I think the fact that I've had them so long the pages are yellowed and the spines are cracked says something too :)

message 22: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (last edited May 19, 2015 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Haha, I'd like to think mine was some sort of cat too!! How funny is that :) The Alethiometer is definitely one of the more fascinating aspect of the series! I love what it represents! Plus I love its name!!

Aletheia "truth" + -ometer "measuring device"

PS. Who are your favorite characters?

message 23: by Shivangi (new)

Shivangi (stixer) | 25 comments Lyra and Pan definitely, and the gypsies as well. But I think my all time favourite is Iorek Byrnison. Something about an armored bear with a sense of hinor really aopeals to me.

message 24: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renuka  | 212 comments Shivangi wrote: "Lyra and Pan definitely, and the gypsies as well. But I think my all time favourite is Iorek Byrnison. Something about an armored bear with a sense of hinor really aopeals to me."

Yes, definitely Iorek and I absolutely adore Pan!! What about Serafina Pekkala?

message 25: by Shivangi (new)

Shivangi (stixer) | 25 comments Ooooh, yes her! The Golden Compass does witches particularly well, I feel.

Frogli | 75 comments I would like to thank this month for giving me the kick up the backside I needed to finally read the His Dark Materials after meaning to & even owning the books for years!

Finally finished the Amber Spyglass (& Lyra's Oxford & The Collectors) yesterday, I love bank holidays!

Anyway, I really enjoyed them :)

Maggie (thebookjockey) | 20 comments I'm working on The Amber Spyglass and wow, I love this whole trilogy! The Golden Compass is my favorite book of it so far. But the whole thing is so beautifully written! I've cried more than once... I adore Iorek Byrinson and Lyra.

As for my daemon, I hope it would be some kind of large canine. (A maned wolf or a dog, maybe?)

Or maybe a fennec fox! Or a badger. Or a buffalo. It's so hard to chose! I suppose it's a good thing people don't chose what they want their daemon to become, indecisive people like me would be in trouble. :P