IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Batman: The Killing Joke
This topic is about Batman
Book Discussions > May 2015 Comic: Batman: The Killing Joke

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (persephone17) So, May is once again comic month, and you guys picked the perfect book to go along with the IGGPPC May theme, super villains: Batman: The Killing Joke. The Joker is one of the most iconic villains and it will be interesting to have the spotlight on him Here's the description:

For the first time the Joker's origin is revealed in this tale of insanity and human perseverance. Looking to prove that any man can be pushed past his breaking point and go mad, the Joker attempts to drive Commissioner Gordon insane.

After shooting and permanently paralyzing his daughter Barbara (a.k.a. Batgirl), the Joker kidnaps the commissioner and attacks his mind in hopes of breaking the man.

But refusing to give up, Gordon maintains his sanity with the help of Batman in an effort to beset the madman.

Have fun reading, and as always, post your thoughts/questions/comments below! Feel free to discuss the Joker in other canon and other favorite villains if you'd like.

message 2: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts I am brand new to graphic novels and comics since joining the group. In honour of this pick and the challenge I'm working my way through a stack of Batman ones to get a feel of what I like and don't like. I would love for you guys to educate me in this and tell me if I'm looking at the wrong sort of things and what I should look for. My opinions are very flexible at this point so please feel free to change my mind. Also I am reading digitally on the Kindle Fire so any tips on apps and how to use them or merits of hardcopy vs digital are appreciated.
I enjoyed this. The traditional comic panel style works for me, some of the more intricate ones I've tried confused me a little. The artwork was good. I was able to clearly identify who was who, which again I have struggled with in the past. I liked the story and the scripting. Some have had no plot really and stilted conversation and concentrated on the artwork. I thought this was good - dark and involved. I like the idea of how the Joker became the Joker, is this how it happened in others? One I tried made out no one knew and another had an oblique reference to Batman chasing the red hood but didn't go into it. I like this version, please say it's so :-). So I enjoyed this. Am I OK to like this or is this like the equivalent of saying 50 shades is my favourite book of all time and people who read a lot looking at me in disgust and thinking "please!"?

Clémence | 117 comments @Fay : Don't worry, the reputation of this comic among the fans is excellent, so you don't have to be afraid of a faux-pas...

I'm not a very experienced comics reader, so I had mixed feelings read The Killing Joke. I see what people love in this book : the Batman/Joker relationship, the Joker backstory... but on the other hand, I don't know the characters well enough to really feel anything for them.

When Barbara Gordon is shot, I know it's a big milestone in DC universe. But I don't know her at all, so I'm nothing more than vaguely sorry for her.

So, my conclusion : I should read more comics. :p

Kendra Everly Henry (kemeah) | 16 comments This is the 3rd graphic novel I've read by Alan Moore; I'm not a big fan of the art style in his work, but I like how dark his work is.
I will not say that this was one of my favorite comics, but it was nice to finally read this since it impacted the Batman story line so much. It put a lot of references in place for me. Whether it is simple as where the alternate costumes for the Joker in Injustice came from or finally reading what happened to Barbara since her getting shot by the Joker causes her to go from being Batgirl to being Oracle.
So, while it is not a graphic novel I will be keeping in my library it was worth reading for me as a Batman fan.