IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Book Discussions > May 2015 Book of the Month: Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (persephone17) Hello, all my iggleworms, and welcome to another new book pick! The theme for May was Book Set in a Place You've Always Wanted to Visit, and after a close vote, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, set in San Francisco, won. Here's a plot summary:

Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon out of his life as a San Francisco Web-design drone - and serendipity, coupled with sheer curiosity, has landed him a new job working the night shift at Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. But after just a few days, Clay begins to realize that this store is even more curious than the name suggests. There are only a few customers, but they come in repeatedly and never seem to actually buy anything, instead they simply borrow impossibly obscure volumes from strange corners of the store, all according to some elaborate, long-standing arrangement with the gnomic Mr. Penumbra. The store must be a front for something larger, Clay concludes, and soon he's embarked on a complex analysis of the customers' behaviour and roped his friends into helping to figure out just what's going on. But once they bring their findings to Mr. Penumbra, it turns out the secrets extend far outside the walls of the bookstore...

As always, after you're done reading(or while you're reading), post your thoughts, questions and general musings on the book below. And to tie into the theme: what's a place you've always wanted to visit, and why?

Melissa (eris_discord42) | 35 comments I have to tell you guys about this. I was half way through the book, around the part where they go to the "Reading Room", when I stopped to go to bed. I put the book on the night stand and as I was just about the fall asleep I rolled over and THE BOOK WAS GLOWING. I jumped out of bed turned on the light and finally figured out it was a glow in the dark cover. That just worked so well with this book.

I liked how the entire book plays into the idea that the search for knowledge is more important than the conclusion. If that makes sense. It is almost as though the adventure lies in the quest itself not the final destination.

Another thing I appreciated is the Epilogue. If a book is not going to be a series I like knowing what will happen to the characters. This epilogue not only gave future info for the main characters, but it also summed up the futures for minor characters i.e. "North Face". It is satisfying to have an idea where everyone is heading at the end of a book.

I don't remember who suggested this book but I am really glad they did. I would have never looked twice at it.

Bree (colibree) | 63 comments Wow that's awesome Melisa! Lol I want that glowing edition :P
I feel like I'm starting very late in the game as I had classes to finish and I am just in the first few chapters, but seriously enjoying it. Also I don't know if it's just me, but the Artist friend, Mat reminds me of either Art from Monsters University or Fred from Big Hero 6 haha! Anyone else with me?

Claire | 45 comments What a read. I love books about books and book shops and libraries, and this one had it all. With a mystery / quest thrown in?!

Wow.

I'm so glad that the book club picked this and it finally gave me the push to move this from a book I'll read eventually to one that is now in my head.

The right book exactly, at exactly the right time.

Bree (colibree) | 63 comments Yes I loved this book! Despite me wanting to read something from a place I haven't visited, I enjoyed every second of it. The blend of old and new, the quest for knowledge and the smell of books! I wish my little local bookstore had a mystery like this...

Lindsey (naommah) Hey ladies, I found a prequel to this book!
I haven't read it yet but I am planning on it.
Ajax Penumbra 1969
http://www.amazon.com/Ajax-Penumbra-1...