You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Teanka kills them lovingly

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teanka (last edited Nov 29, 2015 04:01AM) (new)

Teanka I decided to join in the challenge and try and gain some seri(ous)al points for killing some series this year (a great idea, by the way!) I don't think I even remember how many series I started and then I am curious about the new ones so here's my preliminary list:

Already started:
Silo saga by Howey Hugh , 3/3 SF
Acacia by Durham David Anthony 1/3 fantasy
Fortress by Cherryh J. Carolyn 2/5 fantasy
Foreigner by Cherryh J. Carolyn 12/16, SF
The Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan 3/3 fantasy
Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie 2/3, SF
Sword of Shadows by J V Jones, 2/4 fantasy
The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, 5/10, fantasy
Uplift Storm Trilogy by David Brin, 1/3, SF
The Saxon Tales by Cornwell Bernard, 1/9, HF
The Expanse by Corey James, 1/6 SF
The Dagger and the Coin by Abraham Daniel , 4/4 (5), fantasy
The Long Price Quartet by Abraham Daniel, 3/4, fantasy
The Neapolitan novels by Elena Ferrante, 3/3 (4) mainstream
Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan, 1/3 fantasy
The First Law by Joe Abercrombie, 2/3
Oxford Time Travel by Connie Willis, 1/4, SF/ historical
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, 1/8?
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, 2/3
Harry Hole by Jo Nesbo, 3/10, crime story
Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George, 5/17
Masters of Rome by McCullough Colleen, 6/7, HF
Publio Cornelio Escipion by POSTEGUILLO SANTIAGO,2/3, HF
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss 1/3 , fantasy
Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb, 2/3, fantasy
Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, 1/3, SF
Eternal Sky by Elizabeth Bear, 1/3, fantasy
Shadowmarch by Tad Williams, 1 /3 fantasy
The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman, 2/3, fantasy
Zones of Thought by Vernor Vinge, 2/3, SF
Gaea by John Varley, 1/3, SF
Ringworld by Larry Niven, 1/4, SF
Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbert, 2/6, SF
Magister trilogy by Celia Friedman, 1/3, fantasy
Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, 1/3, fantasy
Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, 1/3, fantasy
Instrumentalities of the Night by Glen Cook, 1/4, fantasy
Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch, 1/3 (4), fantasy
New Crobuzon by China Miéville, 1/3
Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin , 6/6

series started during this challenge
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson 1/3
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman 1/3, sci fi
Wars of the Roses by Conn Iggulden 1/3, HF
Culture by Iain Banks 2/10 SF
Gothic saga by Joyce Carol Oates 1/5
Gameshouse by Claire North 3/3
Toni Morrison trilogy by Toni Morrison 1/3
Seven Dreams by William T. Vollmann 1/7

series to start soon
Sprawl by William Gibson, /3 SF
Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky, /10, fantasy
Saga of the Well World by Chalker Jack L., /5, SF
The Lightbringer trilogy by Brent Weeks

series that I started reading during the challenge but they don't count as there are not yet 3 volumes published:
Throne of the Caesars by Harry Sidebottom1/2 (4), HF
The Red Queen's War by Mark Lawrence , 1/2 (3)
Traitor Baru cormorant by Seth Dickinson, 1/ ?
The Cinder Spires by Jim Butcher, 1/?
Orphan Tales by Catherynne M. Valente, 1/2
The Broken Earth by N.K. Jemisin, 1/?
to be continued

message 2: by Teanka (last edited Jul 26, 2015 02:02AM) (new)

Teanka Level 1
Shift by Hugh Howey, 5 pts 2/3
The Crimson Campaign 5 pts 2/3
The Autumn Republic 5 pts 3/3
The Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan 3/3 fantasy
+ 30 pts
Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay 5 pts 3/3
The Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante killed, even though revival expected later this year.
+ 30 pts
The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin vol 6 of Earthsea 5 pts 5/6 because I still haven't read vol. 5
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, 1/3 Gilead 5 pts
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, 1/3 Forever War trilogy 5 pts These 3 books I read during the toppler which helped a lot :)
And finally The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, 1/5 of Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy, so even though I doubt that I'll read this one on, I have gathered 100 points and the first beloved series have been put gently to sleep.
Shift (Silo, #2) by Hugh Howey The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2) by Brian McClellan The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage, #3) by Brian McClellan Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #6) by Ursula K. Le Guin Gilead by Marilynne Robinson The Forever War (The Forever War, #1) by Joe Haldeman The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams

Level finished 30.06.2015

message 3: by Teanka (last edited Jul 25, 2015 10:26AM) (new)

Teanka Level 2
Tales from Earthsea 5 pts
Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin 6/6 crossed to the other side. Will it ever come back?
+ 60 pts
Dust 5 pts
Silo saga by Hugh Howey 3/3. This time I'm happy to see the end of the silos! R.I.P.
+ 30 pts
Together 60 + 30 for killing two series
and 5+5 for individual novels = 100 pts .
Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #5) by Ursula K. Le Guin Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey

level finished 24.07.2015

message 4: by Teanka (last edited Nov 22, 2015 02:29AM) (new)

Teanka Level 3
A Betrayal in Winter 5 pts
An Autumn War 5 pts
Stormbird 5 pts
Consider Phlebas 5 pts
The Accursed 5 pts Gothic saga 1/5
The King's Blood 5 pts
The Tyrant's Law 5 pts
Jazz 5 pts Toni Morrison trilogy 1/3
The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks, 5 pts , Culture 2/10
Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie, Imperial Radch trilogy 3/3,
5 pts + 30 pts
The Serpent, The Thief, The Master: Gameshouse Novella 3 by Claire North
Gameshouse 5+5+5+30 pts
total 125 pts
Level finally completed 22.11.2015

A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2) by Daniel Abraham An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3) by Daniel Abraham Stormbird (Wars of the Roses, #1) by Conn Iggulden Consider Phlebas (Culture, #1) by Iain M. Banks The Accursed by Joyce Carol Oates The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin, #2) by Daniel Abraham The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3) by Daniel Abraham Jazz by Toni Morrison The Player of Games (Culture, #2) by Iain M. Banks Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch, #3) by Ann Leckie The Serpent (Gameshouse, #1) by Claire North The Thief (Gameshouse, #2) by Claire North The Master (Gamehouse, #3) by Claire North

message 5: by Teanka (last edited Jan 02, 2016 04:10AM) (new)

Teanka Level 4
The Ice-Shirt by William T. Vollmann, vol. 1/6 (7) of Seven Dreams - 5 pts
The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham, 5 pts
The Dagger and the Coin series 4/4 (5), 40 pts
20000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne (Extraordinary Voyages series), 5 pts
The Price of Spring by Daniel Abraham 5 pts
Long Price Quartet series 4/4, 40 pts
Total 100 pts, completed 31.12. 2015

The Ice-Shirt by William T. Vollmann The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4) by Daniel Abraham 20000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4) by Daniel Abraham

message 6: by Teanka (new)

Teanka reserved

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Welcome Teanka. You have some great series listed there. I hope you manage to finish more than you start.

message 8: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Thanks:) Starting the series can be very exciting too so I don't mind adding more. And some of the series aren't finished yet.

message 9: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 1020 comments Hello and welcome to the group and the series challenge :). You have some good series listed - enjoy

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47911 comments I hope you enjoy the challenge. We are all finding it more of a challenge to not add new series to our TBR's, but we are all tempted by everyone's lists.

message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19768 comments Wow, great list, Teanka! I already have way, way too many, to add any more to my list, but you have some wonderful reading ahead. Enjoy your serial killing!

message 12: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I finally finished level two, it was very neat, I think, compared to level 1, just 2 books:) I loved immersing myself again in Earthsea world and reading the last 2 books where almost all of the previous characters reappear. It made me wish I reread the first 4 books again. I think I'll wait a few years and then reread the entire 6 books instead though.

It was also nice to finish the Silo saga, especially because the ending is satisfactory and wraps everything up pretty neatly.

I guess I'm ready for some more loving and killing for level three now...

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19768 comments Good job! It is nice to be able to kill them off with only 1 or two books, I know. :)

message 14: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Cherie wrote: "Good job! It is nice to be able to kill them off with only 1 or two books, I know. :)"

Yes it is! I'm going to have a tougher time with the next level though as I don't have any neat plans for it.

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Congratulations Teanka!

What do you think of the Powder Mage series? I've not read them but the first one is on my wishlist.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47911 comments Teanka, you might want to update your link for Brian McClellan. This is the correct link - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show....

message 17: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Janice wrote: "Teanka, you might want to update your link for Brian McClellan. This is the correct link - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...."
Thank you, Janice! I fixed that.

Sarah wrote: "Congratulations Teanka!

What do you think of the Powder Mage series? I've not read them but the first one is on my wishlist."

I liked it a lot, especially because of the original setting reminding me of the French revolution, the magic system and interesting characters, even though they were mainly male. It is also well paced and features interesting battle and duel descriptions as well as a mystery to be solved by one of the protagonists who is an inspector. I suggest you give Promise of Blood a try, and decide then if you want to proceed with the rest of the trilogy, because they are very similar in quality.

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Thanks Teanka. Will do.

message 19: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, Sarah! :)

message 20: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments Hi. I was resisting looking at other people's lists, but I've failed... :)

I've been eyeing the Liveship Traders series for some time, people seem to have good things to say about it. I really liked the Gentlemen Bastards, I thought the author was really good at pacing the story so it moved at breathtaking speeds.

message 21: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Colleen wrote: "Hi. I was resisting looking at other people's lists, but I've failed... :) "

It's dangerous isn't it?!

message 22: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Colleen wrote: "Hi. I was resisting looking at other people's lists, but I've failed... :)

I've been eyeing the Liveship Traders series for some time, people seem to have good things to say about it. I really l..."

Have you read The Farseer Trilogy beginning with Assassin's Apprentice ? I'd start with this one first. They both take place in the same world and I've heard that there is a connection somewhere between the two.

Sarah wrote: " It's dangerous isn't it?!"
LOL

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I've heard that too about the Farseer and Liveship books. I've read assassin's Apprentice and have the others in the series on my kindle but they are much longer than the first one so I keep putting them off.

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments Teanka wrote: "Have you read The Farseer Trilogy beginning with Assassin's Apprentice ? I'd start with this one first. They both take place in the same world and I've heard that there is a connection somewhere between the two...."

Now I remember why I didn't start - something else had to start first. Thank you for reminding me :)
I do have a paperback copy of Assassin's Apprentice that I picked up at a book swap.

message 25: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Well the connection doesn't appear in the first 2 books of Liveship traders that I've read... but of course it's noticeable that it's the same world and time period, just different parts of the world, The Liveship traders taking place far to the south.

I think I'd like to reread Farseer too because after Liveship traders there is another trilogy, Tawny Man centred around the same characters as the Farseer, and now Hobb is writing a fourth trilogy so there is a lot to catch up if you like it :).

message 26: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I finally finished the third level. I'm still hoping to get the 5 levels done before the end of the year :). The next one should be a lot easier.

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47911 comments Go Teanka, go! You can do it. :)

message 28: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Thanks, Janice! :)