A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Game of Thrones discussion


304 views
Why Daenerys ?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (last edited May 07, 2015 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thomas [SPOILERS] (last books)














I was just asking myself, why the hell does everyone love Daenerys way too much?
In my opinion, she's just a little girl making all the wrong decisions (except for the scene where she steals the Unsullied), she can't rule her city, everything in her life is falling apart, and it has been like that since her birth. Her brother sold her for his dream, which didn't realize, she got Khal Drogo killed, once in Mereen she has a lot of problems (the only good decision she makes is about the reopening of the pits, even though she was kind of forced. But well, that didn't went that well...).


message 2: by Caroline (last edited May 07, 2015 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caroline Because she has good intentions, wants to rule justly and wants to help people in need. She actually tries to improve the lives of the weakest/poorest members of society, and the fact that everything she accomplishes eventually backfires adds tragedy to her character. Yes, she's naive... but she's also one of the few characters who cares about her subjects.

She reminds me a little of Robin Hood. Take from the rich, give to the poor. Only GRRM takes into account the fact that the rich won't just let her let her get away with taking their stuff and threatening their power, and when the poor are freed from slavery, they just form a new and more brutal hierarchy as soon as she walks away from them. I really want to know what will happen to her next. In the game of thrones, you win or you die... and she's not dead yet, so she must be winning at something.


message 3: by Aasha (last edited May 09, 2015 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aasha Ramlal Thomas wrote: "[SPOILERS] (last books)












I was just asking myself, why the hell does everyone love Daenerys way too much?
In my opinion, she's just a little girl making all the wrong decisions (except..."


I agree 100%. I mean, it's not like I hate Dany or anything but she's definitely overrated and she really started annoying me in Dance with Dragons. Maybe she has to make all her mistakes now so when she finally gets to Westeros she'll know what she's doing?


Matthew Williams Well, asking why people love her "way too much" presupposed that the love she gets isn't deserved. That's purely a matter of opinion, and its obvious from your comments that you don't think she does. But this seems to be based on an entirely slanted reading of her character and her actions.

I'd say she is loved because she is perhaps the most redeemable character in the series. Unlike just about every other character in the book, she is not motivated by prurient self-interest and seems to actually care about the plight of others.

Also, claiming she's done nothing but make the wrong moves is just plain wrong. She didn't "get Drogo killed" she was betrayed by a woman she saved the life of. And, lost and alone except for her small band and some baby dragons, she outwitted the Undying, destroyed the masters, recruited an army, and conquered Slaver's Bay.

And let's not forget, she managed to do all of this after being a meek little pawn used by her brother for his own ends. This represents a huge transformation, and it all came from her finding her strength, her charisma, winning Drogo's heart, and outwitting all those who underestimated her (including her brother).

Sure, she has since made compromises because she learned that her actions had unforeseen consequences, but this showed wisdom and an ability to learn from her mistakes. So really, I don't see any merit to what you say. You've ignored her accomplishments and blaming her for everything that has gone wrong for her.

If anything, we should be asking the question if she is too idealized as a character. That seems to be a way more relevant question.


Caroline I don't really think she's overly idealized. She accomplishes a lot, especially given her age and the hardships she's been through, but she also pays the price when something doesn't turn out as she expected. She saved a woman who proceeded to kill her husband and her unborn child, she freed the slaves in Astapor who overthrew their own newly established democracy soon after she left. She conquered Meereen, but is now under siege from outside, her troops are being killed by the Harpies inside, the people of her khalasar are outcasts in the city (if I remember correctly) after loyally following her everywhere, and her dragons are chained up under a pyramid because one of them killed a child. The more power she gains, the more disastrous the consequences of a wrong move become. I'm especially curious as to what will happen to her dragons now and whether she'll be able to control them in some way or they'll just run rampant.


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Daenerys is my hero. She's a strong-headed woman with good intentions and intuition. Daenerys is one of those challenging, confident woman who bows down to no one. I applaud her in every single way. While it may feel like a lot of people out there only love Daenerys, I think you may be forgetting the fact that there are other GoT characters who are just as popular as she is.


Defne Daenerys is my favourite character in ASOIAF. The thing is, she is young and despite her age she is actually making some pretty good decisions. True, she needs some guidance but that is the way it is in real life. No leader is alone in their path of making decisions.
She goes through a lot in the series and mainly goes through everything alone. She is strong- headed, brave and loving. She believes in justice and she is trying, honestly, to bring justice to the place(s) she rules. She is a an almost-perfect leader. All she needs is good guidance and now she has that too. As a young woman in the world of Westeros, I think she is doing pretty well on her journey.

She is very relatable, at least to me as a female. I am an 18 year old girl and I can understand exactly how she feels in certain situations. Martin wrote her as such a 'real' character, it is incredible.


Thomas I guess many people love her because they can relate to her, that's true. Maybe I don't love her as much because I'm not a girl (heheh).
But "an almost perfect leader" ?! She makes lots of bad decisions and the only good one she makes is after long discussions with her counsellors. I guess that without her dragons and her title she wouldn't be anything. Stannis is a good leader, Tywin was a good leader. Those are men who are willing do everything to rule correctly.
Daenerys is bothering herself too much with freedom of the slaves, etc. She doesn't realize 1) she has nothing to win by staying in Essos 2) freeing slaves isn't helping hee.


Andrew For me, Daenerys along with Tyrion and Arya have been the best characters in the series overall. The problem has been that the longer the series goes on, Daenerys seems to be going nowhere and I have begun to lose interest in her.

Does she even want to be queen of Westeros?


Bruce For me, Daenerys along with Tyrion and Arya have been the best characters in the series overall.

My favorites too!


message 11: by Matthew (last edited Jun 18, 2015 09:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Williams Thomas wrote: "I guess many people love her because they can relate to her, that's true. Maybe I don't love her as much because I'm not a girl (heheh).
But "an almost perfect leader" ?! She makes lots of bad deci..."


"Rule correctly?" Since when did Tywin rule correctly? He's a horrible person who cares only about ensuring his family's supremacy. He has no qualms whatsoever about using his own children towards that end. And in the end, his actions got him killed his by own son.

As for Stannis, he's a hardliners who cares only about the legitimacy his own claim. Had he been willing to compromise, the Baratheon's would have retaken the throne a long time ago. Instead, his army is slowly dying in the north.


Defne Thomas wrote: "I guess many people love her because they can relate to her, that's true. Maybe I don't love her as much because I'm not a girl (heheh).
But "an almost perfect leader" ?! She makes lots of bad deci..."


The decisions she makes have their reasons. Plus, she is a VERY young girl, in the books she is 16 or something and I think it is definitely not easy to make big decisions without a good advisor or anyone EVER teaching you how to rule. I think if you consider her circumstances, she is doing pretty well.

Tywin might be a good leader but Stannis is definitely NOT a good leader.


Ad.costas Considering how he was defeated in the Blackwater battle, I don't think Stannis is much of a commander. He is stubborn and tough, I 'll give him that, but not so bright. He had the numbers so he thought storming the gates was enough. It wasn't...

Even the 16 year old Daenerys sacked a city using tactics. She went in with no army and walked out with the Unsullied, killing the slimy slavers. Then continued defeating anyone that got in her way.

Of course she's far from perfect. She has no experience in politics and was not prepared to compromise in the beginning. Later she overcompensates by marrying that son of a ... harpy (I think he's one of them).

Slaver's Bay is good practice. She'll be ready when she reaches Westeros. The problem is there is no time. The White Walkers are almost at the Wall.


Thomas How could he have known that the boat was going to be filled with Wildifire. In the books Stannis is described as one of the best commanders(if not THE best).
So you're basically saying that Daenerys is better at war than Stannis ?! No way.
She has dragons and she wants to free the slaves, of course that gives her a lot of support from all Essos (except the slavers) and a lot of military power. But what I like about Stannis is that he is the rightful King of Westeros and he's willing to do everything to become the King, because that's his duty. I think Daenerys has not that same sense of duty, she wants to go the Westeros and become the Queen because it's her birthright (not at all but I won't argue about that, Rhaegar was defeated so the Targaryens do not have any claim to the throne, except maybe if all the Baratheons are dead, but tha'ts another story).
If she one day goes to Westeros and becomes loved by everyone, I would be very disapointed in GGRM.


Ad.costas Thomas wrote: "How could he have known that the boat was going to be filled with Wildifire. In the books Stannis is described as one of the best commanders(if not THE best).
So you're basically saying that Daener..."


When AegonI conquered Westeros and MADE the iron throne the Baratheons were GIVEN the Stormlands by him. They were nobodies before that. A little gratitude would be nice. OK Aerys was mad. I'm not saying he should not be replaced. But the successor is no Baratheon , while any Targ is still alive (that's the reason they tried to kill'em all). Stannis and formerly Robert (drunken fat pig king) have the better claim to the throne because they have TARGARYEN blood or so Ned says in a conversation they had... WTF Ned? There are still Targaryens around you know. That does not make sense. Dutiful... crap.

Explain how any of these are justified in the name of duty. Hiding in Dragonstone while he knew about Robert's false heirs. Murdering his brother with blood magic. Burning people at the stake or trying to if it will serve his cause. Defiling temples of different religions. He truly is adorable...

The best commander? I don't think so. Even Davos who had no experience as a commander thought it was stupid to just sail his whole fleet into the Blackwater Bay to attack 5 ships. And IMO a good leader has to inspire his followers. That is why the rest of his army fell apart. They did not care for him or his cause enough. Why should they? Baratheons don't belong on the iron throne anyway. They followed Renly because they believed in him, Stannis just because he was the only Baratheon left.


Thomas All Stannis did was because he felt he had to become King, that it was his duty.
But nice arguments here.
But I don't think Daenerys will inspire people in Westeros; in King's Landing everyone hates the Targaryens, so Daenerys would have an even bigger problem than she already has in Essos if she went there.


Srihari Vijayakumar Thomas wrote: "All Stannis did was because he felt he had to become King, that it was his duty.
But nice arguments here.
But I don't think Daenerys will inspire people in Westeros; in King's Landing everyone hate..."

Daenerys doesnt need to worry about People in the current situation in westeros people will welcome her.her real threat is high septon and his sparrows.


Laura Herzlos Srihari wrote: "her real threat is high septon and his sparrows"

Actually, the real threat is the army of white walkers and frozen zombies about to bring down the wall. That's why she needs dragons, and the dragons need riders.


Matthew Williams Srihari wrote: "Thomas wrote: "All Stannis did was because he felt he had to become King, that it was his duty.
But nice arguments here.
But I don't think Daenerys will inspire people in Westeros; in King's Landin..."


Why would the High Septon and the Sparrows be a threat to her? All she needs to do is play the prophecy card and claim she is Azor Ahai reborn, which many in Westeros suspect already. The High Septon would likely embrace her as the one to deliver them all in their time of need.


Srihari Vijayakumar Laura wrote: "Srihari wrote: "her real threat is high septon and his sparrows"

Actually, the real threat is the army of white walkers and frozen zombies about to bring down the wall. That's why she needs dragon..."


The Others are threat to the entire westeros not particular to Daenerys. I see the others as an oppurtunity for her to make allies in westeros.As for as dragons concerned she can have drogon other dragons will find their own riders.


Srihari Vijayakumar Matthew wrote: "Srihari wrote: "Thomas wrote: "All Stannis did was because he felt he had to become King, that it was his duty.
But nice arguments here.
But I don't think Daenerys will inspire people in Westeros; ..."


The high septon and his sparrows have special dislike for targareans because of their tradition (brother-sister thing).There are several prophecies out there in westeros Azhor Ahai, Promised Prince,etc but probability of High septon and his faith believing that will be low.


Laura Herzlos Srihari wrote: "I see the others as an oppurtunity for her to make allies in westeros."

You are clearly underestimating the Others, and misunderstanding the issue. The big story is not, and never was about who will sit the Iron Throne. The book starts with the Others, and it will end with the battle against the Others, for the survival of mankind, so that's not merely an opportunity to make allies to sit the throne, IF she's alive after that battle. Chances are there won't be a throne anymore.

Matthew wrote: "All she needs to do is play the prophecy card and claim she is Azor Ahai reborn, which many in Westeros suspect already."

Nobody in Westeros suspects that; people in fandom do.


Srihari Vijayakumar Laura wrote:
You are clearly underestimating the Others, and misunderstanding the issue. The big story is not, and never ..."


Yes, I agree with you.The Others are a much bigger issue than who will sit on the iron throne.I am seeing this thorough Daenerys point of view Whats good for daenerys not entire westeros.Yes, all mankind will stand united against Others but after their defeat somebody has to rule right.I believe GRRM wont give us another happily ever after story.


Bruce That would be a nice twist to see an Other sitting on the iron throne. But they would have to beat Daenerys dragons!


TheBohemianBookworm Because she's a strong female role model and we need more of those. She's a woman living in a society that discriminates against people based on gender and she rises above that.


TheBohemianBookworm Defne wrote: "Daenerys is my favourite character in ASOIAF. The thing is, she is young and despite her age she is actually making some pretty good decisions. True, she needs some guidance but that is the way it ..."

Just this. I totally agree.


back to top