2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s
This topic is about Call the Midwife
. Week 19: True Story > Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s by Jennifer Worth

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah (last edited May 07, 2015 10:29AM) (new) - added it

Mariah (gingersnap8314) I fell in love with this TV series awhile back and have been meaning to read the books. So it was a no brainer when this week came up. I couldn't put it down. Absolutely loved it. Lots of unshy description, so if full details of birth and prostitution make you queasy, this book might not be for you. However, I felt that these descriptions really helped to show the way of life and make you feel the emotion of the characters.
There were times where I wished she had talked about certain people more (like the other midwives) but I figure she had a reason for choosing the stories she did. It is a memoir after all. And there are two more books so maybe she describes them more in those ones. I'll have to see. =)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments I just finished This one also. It was a very immersive story.

message 3: by Mariah (new) - added it

Mariah (gingersnap8314) Anastasia wrote: "I just finished This one also. It was a very immersive story."

Fantastic! What did you like the most about it? I honestly love the birth scenes, when she is describing their pain and then immediate joy after and how they forget what they have gone through because of the beauty of their child. I am not a parent yet and birth has always scared me. This strangely settled me.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments There are so many things I enjoyed it is difficult to pick one. She was great at depicting the Sisters as whole people that she made assumptions about, then changed her thoughts as she grew to know them. She did not hide her faults, for example feeling ill when examining certain patients.
I guess that her truthfulness about herself the situations and the people was my favorite part. She definitely did not shy away from the bad parts of life but kept a good balance with some funny stories.
I have heard there are more books and may just look them up.

message 5: by Mariah (new) - added it

Mariah (gingersnap8314) Your right. That is wonderful. I found her honesty and openness really refreshing. Yes, parts made you gasp but it was meant to and it should. It was a gasp worthy situation. It really opened my eyes and made me feel. I truly love her religious growth through out it as well.

There are 2 more! I bought all 3. The next one is called Shadows of the Workhouse and the 3rd one is Farewell to the East End. I can't wait to read them.