SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Random Chats > submarine warfare

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2015 11:51AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1091 comments Mod
So it seems the 'submarine thriller' genre is very much alive and well.

In sorting our bookshelves lately I see we have (not only) Clancy's 'Red October' of course, but all these other guys:

Larry Bond
Bart Davis
Patrick Robinson

These authors don't just dabble in sub drama. They specialize in it. Nigh exclusively. Can't really blame them: you sell a submarine story to Hollywood and you can laugh all the way to the bank.

Sub-stories benefit from some fine dramatic tenets: unified location, unified set of characters...

My favorite nuclear-sub story (long before Clancy) is actually 'The Bedford Incident' which was made into a superb movie starring Sidney Poitier, Richard Widmark, & Martin Balsam. Another: 'Grey Lady Down' with Heston.

Of course in the realm of cheap tv movies, there's also 'Fer-de-Lance' (snakes on a sub) and 'Assault on the Wayne' (Leonard Nimoy in command for once).

'Das Boot' (have to mention DB even though unrelated here).

message 2: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments The Trident Deception by Rick Campbell
Empire Rising (Trident Deception, #2) by Rick Campbell
Rick Campbell
Here's another one. Unlike the other authors, this man has actually commanded a Submarine.

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 07, 2015 01:44PM) (new)

hey, good stuff. Will add him to shelf.

Thanks S!

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2015 06:37AM) (new)

Samuel, (FYI) I've added your group to our list of recommended groups. Your outfit over there is well-organized and efficient. Bravo to you.

message 5: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "Samuel, (FYI) I've added your group to our list of recommended groups. Your outfit over there is well-organized and efficient. Bravo to you."

Ah, Thank you :)

message 6: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 15 comments Can someone please tell me if Das Boot is based on a novel?

message 7: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2015 05:29PM) (new)

it sure is

Das Boot by Lothar-Günther Buchheim

message 8: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 15 comments Have you read it, can you recommend?

I just checked and can buy through amazon but with postage will cost approximately $40 (Aust)

message 9: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 15 comments Never mind, I just bought a good-used copy for half the price plus shipping from the UK.....excellent.

message 10: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

$40?? thats crazy

I can't speak to the book itself but I'd be convinced it is good --sight unseen--based on the movie which resulted.

message 11: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

I see it on Amazon for mere pennies, and $4 shipping. Does shipping to AUS equate to a $35 increase?

message 12: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 15 comments The copy I bought is used through the amazon marketplace - it is the shipping that is the killer - normally just in excess of $20.

Book was 79c - the rest is GST and shipping.

message 13: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 15 comments I've paid $40 for books in the past - please don't ask me the highest I've ever paid.

I used to buy through Biblioquest before I wised up - for difficult to source books.

message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally | 34 comments Cphe wrote: "I've paid $40 for books in the past - please don't ask me the highest I've ever paid.

I used to buy through Biblioquest before I wised up - for difficult to source books."

Have you used AbeBooks? Book prices vary for the same title depending on condition of book as does shipping costs. I've been very satisfied with them.

message 15: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 15 comments I've heard of Abe books and Kenney's in Ireland. I tend to stick with Amazon (better the devil you know) because I think if anything went wrong I'd stand a better chance of putting things right.

Thank you for the suggestion though Sally.

message 16: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 21, 2015 01:57PM) (new)

Samuel, you have your group set-up so that one sees the 'regulations' balloon, anytime one makes a post?

message 17: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "Samuel, you have your group set-up so that one sees the 'regulations' balloon, anytime one makes a post?
"

yeah.

message 18: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "Samuel, you have your group set-up so that one sees the 'regulations' balloon, anytime one makes a post?
"

Is it....troublesome?

message 19: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Samuel wrote: "Feliks wrote: "Samuel, you have your group set-up so that one sees the 'regulations' balloon, anytime one makes a post?
"

Is it....troublesome?"

Changed the setting.

message 20: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Going off topic, I see the book that we're going to discuss is "The Dogs Of War".Perhaps the most prescient novel the great Frederick Forsyth wrote, and my personal favorite (tied with "The Devils Alternative")

message 21: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Samuel wrote: "Changed the setting."

Good guy! I'm glad I mentioned it to you. Yeah its pretty horrendous the other way.

message 22: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 21, 2015 02:17PM) (new)

Samuel wrote: "I see the book that we're going to discuss is..."

Yes! Well, maybe. I'm not trying to be too ambitious here--as administrator I have a lot on my plate and can't give any energy to running 'book of the month' challenges, etc.

But I discovered recently that the bookshelf of any group throws the book-cover up on the group homepage (whenever a book on that shelf is set to 'currently reading'). And so I now use this trick for a variety of reasons. For instance, it will help membership, because Goodreads associates a group with the book's book page when they're reading it.

I'm not sure there will be any formal discussion of 'Dogs of War' but I would in fact, benefit from it. (Haven't read it yet). I did have a good time with 'Devil's Alternative' especially when (view spoiler) What a way to fry! Loved it. Plus I dig all novels with ships as a a setting and this was a doozy. The bit with the SR-71 didn't hurt, either.

message 23: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "Samuel wrote: "I see the book that we're going to discuss is..."

Yes! Well, maybe. I'm not trying to be too ambitious here--as administrator I have a lot on my plate and can't give any energy to ..."

Agreed. Forsyth was also very inventive with the terrorist incident that features in the book. It subverted many of the usual tropes and expectations one has come to expect when such a thing occurs. The fact that the party responsible nearly won out against Europe's top seaborne special forces unit with a colossal bluff was also quite impressive.

message 24: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2015 11:15AM) (new)

Samuel I can tip you off to a nifty Russian vs American thriller where the Russians actually win. Its called 'Enemies' by Richard Harris. In style, it is just boilerplate, standard thriller fare, not very distinguished (although it is fast-paced and nonstop!! action). But the premise itself is thoroughly ingenious.

Here's a spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 25: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Feliks wrote: "Samuel I can tip you off to a nifty Russian vs American thriller where the Russians actually win. Its called 'Enemies' by Robert Harris. In style, it is just boilerplate, standard thriller fare, no..."

Sounds extremely interesting.

message 26: by Dax (new)

Dax | 4 comments If one can ignore political bend of Patrick Robinson, some of submarine writings are actually excellent.

message 27: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Craig Thomas (whom we rarely mention around here, and we ought to) wrote one: Sea Leopard

message 28: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Samuel wrote: "The Trident Deception by Rick Campbell
Empire Rising (Trident Deception, #2) by Rick Campbell
Rick Campbell
Here's another one. Unlike the other authors, this man has actually commanded ..."

Third book. Based on the "Kursk" scenario. Only far more deadly. The Russians are coming and so are the Americans. To crack open some submarines.

http://rickcampbellauthor.com/Rick-Ca...