Anne Arundel County Public Library discussion

Monthly Reading Challenges > May Reading Challenge: Teen Fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 31 comments Mod
My apologies for getting this challenge off to a late start!!

There is so much fantastic Teen Fiction out there -- let's read some in May!

Not sure where to start? Here's a link to a great list of new, or soon-to-be-released titles:

19 Of May 2015's Best YA Books

AACPL owns the majority of the titles.

Addtionally, please comment below if you have a favorite Teen book. We can come up with our own Best of YA list!

message 2: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 4 comments I just read An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. It's a fantasy set in the Martial Empire--kind of like the Romans, but different.

The Martials have long-ago taken over the Scholars' land, and lives. The book switches perspective between Elias, a top Martial soldier who doesn't believe in the system's cruelty, and Laia, a Scholar whose entire family has been murdered or imprisoned by the Martials. Her only hope for freeing her brother is to team up with the Scholar resistance--but to get them on her side she has to go undercover as a slave in the empire's premier military academy.

It's definitely for older teen readers or adults--slaves are not treated well by the Martials. But it's a gripping story--I had it with me the entire two days it took me to finish. And it delves into the characters' thoughts and beliefs, playing what's right against what's expected, questioning who can be trusted, and bringing to life fantastic creatures that broaden what many of the characters thought to be reality.