Bookeaters discussion

Current Contests > Writing Contest 5/7-6/19

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor  | 3024 comments Mod
Your prompt is the story title.

"Mutual respect sends his regrets."

I'll begin judging as soon as finals are over for me.

Saru (Queen of Bookland) (sarulovesbooks) | 3543 comments Mod
Interesting. I'll see what I can do.

message 3: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Okay, that's something... new. We'll see what I come up woth. :P

message 4: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments *With sometimes i wonder with this tablet

message 5: by Chani (new)

Chani (tempestchani) | 3 comments I've never participated in one of these before, might be fun! ;)

message 6: by Taylor (new)

Hey, Tempest! Yeah, having a new entrant would be cool. :)

message 7: by Chani (new)

Chani (tempestchani) | 3 comments Taylor wrote: "Hey, Tempest! Yeah, having a new entrant would be cool. :)"

Is there a specific length or anything like that?

message 8: by Taylor (new)

@Tempest

Nope. I mean, if you write a novel, I won't read it. But no clear guidelines. Just respond to the prompt.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 2533 comments Mod
I have an idea this is so exciting

message 10: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Ooh, do you have second idea to spare? XD I'm kidding but I'm so overcome with school it's not even funny.

message 11: by Chani (new)

Chani (tempestchani) | 3 comments Taylor wrote: "@Tempest

Nope. I mean, if you write a novel, I won't read it. But no clear guidelines. Just respond to the prompt."

Lol. I'd have to do so open comments in order to post a novel. I wouldn't even be up for that, let alone writing one.

message 13: by Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ (last edited Jun 11, 2015 10:17PM) (new)

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 2533 comments Mod
okay, so i just wrote a story and for me it relates to the prompt, but let me know if you don't think it fits. because it's not what i was planning for it to turn into at all, haha. it just sort of happened. XD

My little sister believes in the world.

Fairy tales especially. Rapunzel is up in a tower in Belgium, a tower with pretty pink roses and a trellis which buoys peach and orange trees that reach the clouds. Her hair is golden, a delicate wave, and she has bangs that fall to her forehead and which sway in the air when she speaks. Those locks touch the ground below her and tickle the grass and the farmland surrounding the tower. Sleeping Beauty is in France, in a small quiet town where a boy rides his bicycle through the slightly-paved streets and brings news of visitors who have arrived. A pastry shop is at the very end of the only street in the village; it sells fresh bread and the old baker knows each townsperson’s order by heart. Diagonally across the street, the princess rests, in a bed propped high with cushions, and with four large pillows, and a down blanket wrapped around her. Both wait for their princes, travelling by horse to reach their destinations. Cinderella is away from the chaos of her home life, if only for a short while. She dances at the prince’s ball, in a blue silk-and-taffeta gown with golden trim that exposes her shoulders. In my sister’s world, the prince is beside her. They are doing a waltz, and the music is soft and slow. Cinderella worries about the time, about turning into a pumpkin, but only slightly. On the clock on the back wall, the minute hand does not move. And the clock never strikes twelve, because midnight will never happen. Only the dancing and the laughter and dress that let her know that one day she will become a princess will happen. In my sister’s world, the bad stuff—it either doesn’t exist, or it won’t be there for long.

In my world… Well, that’s a different story. It’s been a long time since I believed in the Easter Bunny and all that. My older brother, he spoiled things a bit for me when I was five. He was eleven. A big boy, and I looked to him for all the answers. And Andy, he just looked at that Christmas tree we were helping Mom and Dad put up and laughed. I remember the tree topper was this red star and it shone and I was betting you could see it for miles. I was trying to tell Andy that when he laughed, but he didn’t seem to care as much as I did, so I tugged on his hand to make him listen and Andy rolled his eyes and said, “Bro, Santa Claus isn’t real.” That was the end of Christmas for me, especially when Mom and Dad started fighting during Christmas Eve dinner and it was loud and angry and Andy walked away from the table and Dad threw something, a shoe maybe, because he was so angry, and it almost hit Mom and she dropped the tray of meatballs she was holding and the platter broke into a thousand pieces and Dad sat down and put his face in his hands and Mom started crying. She moved out of the house three weeks later.

And, you know, when Andy got shot dead when the cops fired at him when he stole a car that he’d jacked from the Dunkin on Bridge Street, that was the clincher. He didn’t pull over because he was smoking and scared and probably high and in Montana, a state he didn't know with no people he had ever met. The cops told us it was a silver-blue pickup truck with a two-door cab. It was a Chevy. The license plate was from New Jersey. I always wondered who the idiot was who drove all the way from New Jersey to Montana. But hey, if you like hours staring at deserts and fields and hate the sight of people, I guess that could explain it.

Whenever I picture the scene in my head, the cop that shoots my brother is wearing a cowboy hat.

I’ve never worn a cowboy hat.

My dad- before he married my stepmother and promptly forgot I existed- he used to have a saying. “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”. It wasn’t a very good saying, and it wasn’t a very original one either. But I guess I followed his advice.

My sister visited me yesterday. She doesn’t like coming here. She wrinkles her nose at the fact that everything here is white. “It has to be colorful,” she says. “Where is the pink? Where are the princesses?” Yesterday I told her the princesses are dead. She poked me and laughed. She thinks when I say stuff like that I’m making some kind of joke. She asked about the boy I share a room with. I shrugged. I didn’t know much about him. We don’t talk. He hears voices, apparently. A whole cacophony of them. Sometimes they sing to him, and he sings with them. He’s tone deaf. He’s fat. When the nurses come in with the food, he hits them and tells them the voices told him to do it. I yell at him to shut up. We don’t talk.

She asked about the food, because it was almost mealtime, and I said it was better at home. Home, where Mom goes upstairs as soon as she gets back from work and closes her eyes and pretends to be sick. Where I taught my little sister to make toast in a toaster, because other than cereal there wasn’t much in the house. Now she makes food for both of us, or I forget to eat. Home is a stupid word. “Home” is supposed to mean where you belong. And, yeah, that’s a laugh.

I wonder what she does now. Just her making food and doing dishes and doing her homework and getting ready for school each day at home. My sister, the strong one. The unbroken one. The princess-loving one.

Sometimes my aunt comes over.

She never visits me. She says where I am makes her nervous.

I wish I had a window, sometimes, but then I remember what’s outside. Grime and dirt. Cars that honk relentlessly in order to hurry to their destination. Their big, fat, meaningless destination. People think these places will make them feel better. They’ll make them happy and satisfied and think life’s so wonderful and grand. But then, what do they do? They get back in their stupid cars and turn on the radio to whatever is popular to listen to because they’re like everybody else, and they drive to the next place where they get apples or toilet paper or shampoo or whatever else they think they need. And then they come home, and yell at the people in their house, because they’re dirty and lazy and wrong and they get back into their cars for another drive because they think something is missing, something will fix this. Newsflash, people: get over yourselves. Stop going for your silly drives, stop buying and incessantly moving and honking. You’re making life worse. You’re polluting the world. Heaven knows we don’t need any more of you. The world sucks, it will always suck, and you’re only making it suckier. There, are you happy now?

Yesterday my sister asked me when I was coming home. I was laying on my bed, and I picked up my head and lowered it and sighed. I laughed. Whenever they let me out, I thought.

Instead I said, “Whenever your princesses find their Happily Ever After.” Because that seems just as likely.

Wow. That was SO GOOD. Sam you're amazing.

message 15: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Holy guacamole that was amazing!!! Well done Sam!

I'm stuck with my entry... don't really know how to finish it out.

message 16: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 236 comments Damn, I just got back from Europe. Maybe I'll do this.

welcome back, hayden!

go for it.(:

message 18: by Taylor (new)

Yeah. And I unfortunately cannot offer an extension, as I'm going to be signing off Goodreads for a couple years not too long after this date.

(Taylor, I could always post your entries...)

Oh, wait, did not realize you were the judge for this one.

Ignore that.

message 21: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 236 comments Taylor needs to write something for the contest he's judging yes

Hayden wrote: "Taylor needs to write something for the contest he's judging yes"

oh, shush.

(kidding, love you.)

Taylorrrr :(

message 24: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments I doubt I'll be able to write anything this time around.....

@Hayden,

If you don't mind me asking, what part of Europe did you go too?

@Taylor,

You're not going to delete your acccount here on goodreads, are you?

message 25: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 236 comments Alina wrote: "I doubt I'll be able to write anything this time around.....

@Hayden,

If you don't mind me asking, what part of Europe did you go too?

@Taylor,

You're not going to delete your acccount here o..."

I went to Italy and Greece.

message 26: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Damn, and why didn't you take me with you, hmmm? ;P

How was it?

message 27: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 236 comments It was fun but I'm glad to be home. There were a lot of things from America I missed.

message 28: by Taylor (new)

@Alina

I'm not sure about deleting the GR account or not. It'll still exist while I'm away, but when I get back, I might delete it. Depends on how things are…Jude might be dead by then…and Sev might be in jail…. Not that it matters 'cause they're never around anyway. :P

Don't delete it! How will we keep in touch with you?

message 30: by Taylor (new)

Email, Facebook, maybe Skype. Again, if you guys are all gone in two years, there won't be much point.

I don't think I'll be gone, but Skype works well.

you're finally going to be using skype?!
whoa.
this is big news.

XD

message 33: by Taylor (new)

@Sam

I've been on Skype since March, actually. It's only for communication with Kessa, but I might change my mind.

message 34: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 345 comments I don't think I'll be gone, either, but I've PMed you for your contact info just in case. :)

message 35: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Taylor wrote: "@Alina

I'm not sure about deleting the GR account or not. It'll still exist while I'm away, but when I get back, I might delete it. Depends on how things are…Jude might be dead by then…and Sev mig..."

Lol, well I'm hopeful those things don't happen. XD

so we should start a new contest since taylor's not here to judge ??

oh crap another email i have to send well looks like he's not sending me one tomorrow

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ wrote: "so we should start a new contest since taylor's not here to judge ??

oh crap another email i have to send well looks like he's not sending me one tomorrow"

yepppppppp

i said i was going to write it and i never didXD

i'm such a bad role model, guys.

oh well i'm telling him you guys all say hi because you would if you were online at the moment.

shhh it's okay XD

yes i say hi and i miss you lots.

message 40: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinapink-rose) | 1958 comments Yeah, we should make a new contest. Who wants to judge?

Yes, what Saru said. Miss him and hello.