Brandon Sanderson Community discussion

The next Stormlight Archive book

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (meadowlark63) | 6 comments I wish I knew how we could encourage Mr. Sanderson to focus on the next book. While I enjoy all his short stories and novellas, I feel it's taking away so much time to move on to the next book. I'm going to be dead before he finishes the series, and I don't want the same thing to happen to him as did the Wheel Of Time series author.

message 2: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments I think your crazy. Sanderson pumps these out faster than any other author out there. I think the other projects are necessary to not become burnt out on Stormlight. I think that the books are better for it.

message 3: by Joel (last edited May 07, 2015 08:31AM) (new)

Joel | 67 comments Kenneth wrote: "I think your crazy. Sanderson pumps these out faster than any other author out there. I think the other projects are necessary to not become burnt out on Stormlight. I think that the books are bett..."

Agreed

message 4: by Hashim (last edited May 07, 2015 12:08PM) (new)

Hashim (hashimaban) | 8 comments I agree with Kenneth and Joel, Brandon Sanderson pumps out books like crazy, and definitely faster than any author out there. I may not always enjoy the wait between some of his larger works, but I end up appreciating it even more after reading the book.

message 5: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 25 comments Sanderson has always said that writing different stories keep him sharp.. If that is what it takes for Stormlight novels to stay amazing, I'm prepared to wait every 2+ yrs for one. And then keep rereading :)

message 6: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 86 comments I'm gonna assume the original post was sarcasm.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris300) | 6 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "I'm gonna assume the original post was sarcasm."

Seriously, it must be. None of my other favourite authors can pump out 2+ books a year.

message 8: by Blake (last edited May 22, 2015 10:27PM) (new)

Blake (boggle3) | 6 comments I have no worries. I have done the math. Brandon is one year younger than I am so all I have to do is stay healthier than him and I should get to read all of his books.

Seriously though, he is a workhorse about putting out quality content. Enjoy the adventures he takes us on in the order and manner he chooses.

message 9: by Tony (new)

Tony (supergt2006) | 6 comments Sanderson puts out more books than any other author I've read. Mistborn, Stormlight, and Reckoners are all good series AND he has time to write a few others I've never read.

Look at Patrick Rothfuss and George Martin, they have epic series that are severely drawn out because of the distance between books.

message 10: by Ilona (new)

Ilona (Ilona-s) | 6 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "I'm gonna assume the original post was sarcasm."

It can be serious. After all, the Stormlight Archive should be a 10-book serie, so if Sanderson write one of these every two years, the last book will be out in the best case in 15 years. Even if he write really fast and regularly for a fantasy writer.

message 11: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 86 comments Writing short stories and novellas are what keeps him such a fast writer. 15 years is a reasonable time to complete an epic fantasy.

message 12: by Mugzy (new)

Mugzy (mugzys) | 3 comments Blake wrote: "I have no worries. I have done the math. Brandon is one year younger than I am so all I have to do is stay healthier than him and I should get to read all of his books."

Hahah! I love this! I worked it out by the timeline laid out by Sanderson I'll be 41 when Stormlight Archive is finished. In for the long haul I suppose!

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 10 comments Hope I can live to a ripe old age.

message 14: by Slick (new)

Slick | 73 comments The Stormlight Archive book 3 first draft is at 21%
and he has finished all the flashback scenes..but Brandon is probably more interested in Bands of Mourning and touring now... :'(

message 15: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments Touring is not a bad thing, it means a lot of travel time and you can get a lot of writing done while traveling.

message 16: by Slick (new)

Slick | 73 comments I know i didn't want to sound like im complaining or anything.
Well i cant complain with his AMAZING book release record haha.

Just hungry waiting for book 3 haha

message 17: by Hashim (new)

Hashim (hashimaban) | 8 comments I absolutely love the Stormlight Archive, and I have been surprised with Sanderson's quick turn out of books. However, and don't get me wrong because I really want the books out as soon as possible, but I have a feeling that we'll be seeing Stormlight 3 at the earliest sometime in 2017 and not 2016. I say this because Sanderson has said that he would like to have two year in between the books, and since it's already been almost two years since WoR and the book is at the 21% mark as of today, it seems less and less likely that we'll have the next chapter of the series by July 21st, 2016 (especially since a second and final draft is still needed, plus proofread and the process it takes to print and release one of Sanderson's tomes lol).

Still, considering that Sanderson has surprised us fans many times in the past with his quick release of books, I'm not giving up on the idea of Stormlight 3 in 2016.

P.S. Even if a release comes in 2017, or 2018 for that matter, it'll still be faster than the industry average for a book of that length. (lol at whoever thought of GRRM on that comment)

message 18: by Jack (new)

Jack | 37 comments what fantasy books should I read that are like Brandon Sandersons books

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldixon) | 118 comments Nothing is like Brandon Sandersons book. He is god!

A few that are worth mentioning though are:

The Lies of Locke Lamora - has great heists, jovial, and mysterious all at the same time. It's like oceans eleven, but better (and fantasy)... oh and there are sharks. be warned that the F-word makes an appearance, a lot.

Gardens of the Moon - This is the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. These books are fat and intense. They provide that kind of epic and worldbuilding feel you get from most of Sandersons stuff.

Theft of Swords - The Riryia Revelations and Riryia Chronicles series are very fun. These stories feature one of my favorite duos. The Revelations series in particular has some powerful themes and dominoes that fall into place in the last book in an absolutely brilliant way

Promise of Blood - I haven't yet read all of the powder mage series, but has received some Sandersonian influence. Probably my favorite application of gunpowder into fantasy other than Mistborn Adventures.

Storm Front - This is very much in a different league than Sanderson's stuff, but I want to recommend the Dresden Files series anyway. You can't stop me. Be warned, that Jim Butcher usually sneaks a sexual reference or two (sometimes more) into his books.

The Warded Man - The Demon Cycle series is very creative and thrilling. basically demons rise up each night and until the start of the book the world had no way of fighting, only defending. That changes. Good character development

Hope that helps

message 20: by Tony (new)

Tony (supergt2006) | 6 comments As far as world building size, the malazan empire series is good.

message 21: by Jack (new)

Jack | 37 comments thanks, I have read the first Powder Mage book ,apparently the author was taught by Sanderson and that was good. I have read Jim Butchers Codex Alera but I have not heard of Storm Front. What is it about? is Malazan book of the fallen any good? I want to read it but don't want to spend the time if it is not worth it considering how big it is.

message 22: by Tony (new)

Tony (supergt2006) | 6 comments I'm 75% into book 7 of the main 10. It's A LOT of world building but the characters are awesome. The books are massive so it takes time.

I've been reading 1 malazan book then reading a book from another book series so I don't get burnt out on the malazan series.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldixon) | 118 comments Tony wrote: "I'm 75% into book 7 of the main 10. It's A LOT of world building but the characters are awesome. The books are massive so it takes time.

I've been reading 1 malazan book then reading a book from a..."

I'm the same as Tony except I'm at the very beginning of book 7. I love these books (mostly - some plot lines are just ok). Gardens of the Moon and Memories of ice are some of my all time favorites.

I think Malazan books are amazing and amazingly needy. I mean, they take a LOT of time - not just because they are big, but because the writing is so intricate and the story is so vast that it takes a lot of calories to keep up. Additionally, Erikson is one of those authors which wont set time aside to define everything as it is being used. Sometimes you find yourself not really sure what happened. Just keep reading and it will fall into place. (the Tor.com's re-read can help too.)

As far as the Dresden files is concerned. Harry Dresden lives in Chicago as a private detective, who is also a wizard. These books are lite and fun and Dresden is a fun character. His cases are interesting and even though there are a gazillion books in the series, readers are crying for more! I take that to be high praise. In fact Sanderson commented on his website today about how this series has done a great job staying fresh.