Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's April 2015 Reads

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments A not bad month.

Blood Money (Jane Whitefield, #5) by Thomas Perry Blood Money by Thomas Perry. Read by Joyce Bean. 3/5

Jane Whitefield leaves her comfortable life once again to help a young girl disappear from the Mob, and picks up more charges on her way. Another solid turn from Thomas Perry.

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3) by Deborah Harkness The Book of Life Deborah Harkness. Read by Jennifer Ikeda. 5/5

In this last book of the All Souls Trilogy, Diana and Matthew hunt for the lost pages of the Book of Life and battle unexpected forces. Great finish to a unique (for me) series.

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger Ordinary Grace William Kent Krueger. 4/5

A man in his fifties reflects on a time when his family was touched by murder. Beautifully written, slowly unfolding story.

The Stranger by Harlan Coben The Stranger Harlen Coben. Read by George Newbern. 2/5

A husband and father of two is approached by a stranger with a secret about his wife. The husband confronts his wife, with devastating consequences. This was a just so-so offering by Harlen Coben, made more interesting because I read it with a group of my reading friends on GR. I didn’t like any of the main characters, except the kids, and found some of the turns improbable. I did stay up late because I wanted to see how it ended, so that's something I guess.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Not too shabby, Carol.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month, I also liked Ordinary Grace.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I thought ORDINARY GRACE was a great book, too. I read the first book in the All Souls trilogy and was absolutely positive I'd love it....and I didn't! Maybe I'll give the other 2 books a shot one of these days.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Good month. I enjoyed Ordinary Grace too. :)

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments Coben will be so disappointed in you.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments Barry, not that I think he would care about me specifically reading one of his books, but I do feel a bit of loyalty to Harlan from the old Hard Boiled AOL message board days.
Barry wrote: "Coben will be so disappointed in you."

message 8: by Ann (last edited May 07, 2015 07:35PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments Carol: Nice month! I'm glad we read Ordinary Grace and The Strangeras group read books too. It can add challenges to scheduling and slotting which book to read when, but well worth it.
by the way, how is the narrator for the Deborah Harkness books? I never got around to starting the trilogy, yet at least. :)

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Melodie wrote: "I thought ORDINARY GRACE was a great book, too. I read the first book in the All Souls trilogy and was absolutely positive I'd love it....and I didn't! Maybe I'll give the other 2 books a shot one ..."

Mel, not sure what to say here without knowing why Book One didn't grab you. Book Two has Matthew and Diana timewalking back to the 17th century, which was an interesting twist, but otherwise I think it shared elements of Book One. Maybe try it and if what annoyed you about One is still there, ditch it.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Barry wrote: "Coben will be so disappointed in you."

Yes, please don't tell him, I'm sure it would upset him for about a nanosecond.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Ann, Jennifer Ikeda is a wonderful narrator. She handled gender, age and language differences beautifully. There was one voice that annoyed me, but a reader has to make choices I suppose, and there are probably voices in real life that annoy me too!

Ann wrote: ", how is the narrator for the Deborah Harkness books? I never got around to starting the trilogy, yet at least. :) ,..."

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Me too, Ann. Love the personality and would take any opportunity to hear from him, but the standalones, with one or two exceptions, are not my cuppa.

Ann wrote: "Barry, not that I think he would care about me specifically reading one of his books, but I do feel a bit of loyalty to Harlan from the old Hard Boiled AOL message board days.
Barry wrote: "Coben ..."

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Barry wrote: "Coben will be so disappointed in you."

Yes, please don't tell him, I'm sure it would upset him for about a nanosecond."

if that long..lol

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments That being said about our importance to Harlan Coben in the big scheme of things about rating one of his books; Jussi Alder Olsen re-tweeted my GR review tweet of The Alphabet House, Carol! I got a little thrill!

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Ann wrote: "That being said about our importance to Harlan Coben in the big scheme of things about rating one of his books; Jussi Alder Olsen re-tweeted my GR review tweet of The Alphabet House, Carol! I got a..."

wowzers, ann! how cool is that?

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Wow, Ann, awesome sauce!!!!! How did you know that? Do you follow him on Twitter?

Ann wrote: " Jussi Alder Olsen re-tweeted my GR review tweet of The Alphabet House, Carol! I got a little thrill! ..."

message 17: by Ann (last edited May 08, 2015 08:54PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14410 comments Sherry and Carol: I do now, but no, I hadn't followed him before. Twitter notified me that the post was retweeted. Probably by an admin, but still!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Wow, Ann, awesome sauce!!!!! How did you know that? Do you follow him on Twitter?

Ann wrote: " Jussi Alder Olsen re-tweeted my GR review tweet of The Alphabet House, Carol! I got a little thrill!..."