UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Buying Amazon Reviews

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Whitaker | 106 comments I have been approached through Twitter by a website offering to ‘sell’ me reader reviews on Amazon. My initial response was ‘no thanks’, I actually prefer my reviews to come from genuine customers. That said, there’s obviously going to be a bias introduced into Amazon reviews. I know that some people go around posting bad reviews just for the fun of it but the thought that a sub-standard book could possibly have 100 5 star reviews would bring the whole system into disrepute I believe. After thinking about it I have decided to stay away but what do other people think?

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Pure and simple: any reviews you "buy" must go into the Editorial Reviews section in Author Central. Anywhere else - and especially paying for a service to post reviews pretending to be a genuine customer - is a breach of Amazon's TOS and could get not just that book removed but all your books and your account deleted.

After the sock puppet scandals of a few years ago, Amazon is very hot on this. They might choose just to delete the review - first offence - but equally they could decide to go the whole hog. Why risk it?

message 3: by G J (Gaff to my friends) (last edited May 07, 2015 12:47AM) (new)

G J (Gaff to my friends) Reilly | 1901 comments I'm not a fan of the idea of buying reviews. Aside from the ToS implications that Tim mentioned, if you're confident enough in your own work to put it out there, then you should be pleased with the reviews you get (when they're good). Even if you do receive a bad review, hopefully the reader's been good enough to explain why they left it. Sometimes there might even be a gem or two for you to consider, to improve your next work. You don't get that when you buy.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments It's not worth the risk, but more than that, it's not worth the damage you're doing to your integrity. Maybe you'll get caught and maybe you won't, but you'll know that you had so little faith in your own writing that you had to buy the opinions of reviewers rather than earning it.

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments The whole idea stinks to be honest. I'd rather genuinely know what people think. Reviews are to help other readers choose, not to make the author look or feel good. It's dishonest.

message 6: by Peter (new)

Peter Whitaker | 106 comments I agree with every comment above. I am lucky in that so far the worst review I've received is a 3 star accompanied with the comment: 'maybe'! I do not see the point in any review that is not at least honest and, perhaps more importantly, earned. I put a lot of time and effort in writing my first novel and I am proud of the responses that it has engendered, not to mention the number of copies sold.
The one thing that does worry me, however, is the danger that this approach, if not challenged by Amazon, might have on the integrity of the customer reviews; I actually rely upon them alot myself!

message 7: by Toria (new)

Toria Lyons | 8 comments I think there are signs in any review of what's not quite kosher. If they're uniformly gushing and/or book reports, my b******t radar goes off. Similarly, if there is a personal aspect to a negative review, rather than referring to specifics in the book.
On Amazon, I usually start by reading the lower rated reviews and make my way up to the 4*s - I rarely do more than glance at the 5*s.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I have zero tolerance for dishonest authors.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Dishonesty in general, actually.

message 10: by Toria (new)

Toria Lyons | 8 comments Yeah, me too. It tells me a lot about whether I'd want them as a friend, want to work with them, or pay money into their pockets - unequivocally no.

I like to think the best of people, and that most are naturally honest. Unfortunately, the more people I get to know, the less this is true. And it seems to have become increasingly acceptable that people lie, and that honesty is weird...