The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Groovy Lee
This topic is about Groovy Lee
What Book made a lasting impression on you?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 320 comments I would like to know what is your favorite book that has stuck with you long after reading it.

Mine is "Intensity" by Dean Koontz. I still think about that and the t.v. movie to this day. It also inspired me to write my first suspense novel.

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Mine has to be Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë . I read this when I was 15 and it just really struck a cord with me. My mum has always liked the Bronte sisters but her favorite is Wuthering Heights...anyway I finally picked Jane Eyre up (my first Bronte Sister novel) and oh my it just took my breath away.

I used to read it once a year and it would teach me something new each time but I haven't managed to pick it up in the past couple of years.

Sorry went off on a bit of a tangent there, Jane Eyre is definitely the book that has stuck with me.

message 3: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 320 comments I'm curious: What something new would you learn? About life, or the characters?

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Groovy wrote: "I'm curious: What something new would you learn? About life, or the characters?"

Well because the book covers many years of Jane's life (I think it probably covers about 20 years) I learn something new depending on where I am with my life. I see a lot of Jane in myself and my own personality and how certain events from years ago affect me even now. So I learn something new about life and about the characters because I have matured/learnt so much since the last time I read it but I also learn a little something about me.

Hope that made sense :)

message 5: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 320 comments Indeed it does, Kirsty.

What I get is, when you were younger you didn't really understand her choices as a grown woman, or what she went through. Now you do.

message 6: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty That's exactly it Groovy. I think when you're younger things look like they'll all be black and white when you grow up but it's really not like that there are so many grey areas and people react different in various situations

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Moore I remember reading this book in High School and not liking it (because i hated being forced to read books in high school) but then i re-read it as a adult and fell in love with it To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 8: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 320 comments So, curious about you two:

Lisa Marie, I could not get into that book. What about it made you fall in love with it? Maybe you can open my eyes to something I missed, and my less-than-kind review of it could be readjusted.

Lugosifan, I honestly never heard of that book making anyone cry. Of all the books in the world... What about it moved you? What the Phantom went through? Or what he put others through? Enlighten me:)

message 9: by Catarina (new)

Catarina Coelho | 5 comments Well, I can't choose only one. But if it is OK not to choose only one, then I think that these are the books:
- "Jane Eyre", by Charlotte Brontë
- "David Copperfield", by Charles Dickens
- "Anne of Green Gables", by Lucy M. Montgomery
- "Rebecca", by Daphne Du Maurier
- "The Sevenwaters trilogy", by Juliet Marillier
- "The Chronicles of Bridei", by Juliet Marillier
- "Heart's Blood", by Juliet Marillier

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Catarina wrote: "Well, I can't choose only one. But if it is OK not to choose only one, then I think that these are the books:
- "Jane Eyre", by Charlotte Brontë
- "David Copperfield", by Charles Dickens
- "Anne of..."

I've heard Rebecca is quite similar to Jane Eyre (and I love Jane Eyre). How does it compare, is it too similar or does it stand out on it's own (not just in the shadow of J.E)?

message 11: by Catarina (new)

Catarina Coelho | 5 comments Oh, it definitely stands out on its own! I bet you'll like it! If you have the chance, read it! :)

message 12: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Catarina wrote: "Oh, it definitely stands out on its own! I bet you'll like it! If you have the chance, read it! :)"

Thanks, I might move it a bit further up on my TBR :)

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina George (christinageorge) | 10 comments I would have to say Centennial which I read ages ago (James Michener) – the level of detail and the story was just fascinating!

message 14: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 320 comments This is bothering me, so I'm going to ask. I've heard of James Michener. He didn't write the Jurassic Park series, did he? Just asking:)